Hiring Process. - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiring Process.

Re: Hiring Process.

Wow, that would stink! Let me know how that works out.

The FWC academy put out a good product. The locals, not so much.

I understand the training is better up there as it is geared for FWC. Its just I have already been in the Army and been through the 15 week correctional probation officer academy in Seminole County. I don't mind going through another full academy again, I just don't want to be 5 hours away. Been there done that. Guess we will see what happens.

FWC no longer runs its own academy. If a recruit lives in the county where they will be assigned they will attend a local academy. So if someone lives in Palm Beach county and is assigned to work in Palm Beach county, they would attend the academy at Palm Beach Community College. Otherwise they would attend the Pat Thomas academy in Tallahassee. The catch is that most of our vacancies are in south FL. So if you live in Seminole, the chance of being assigned in Seminole and attending Seminole CC is all but nill. You would most likely be offered a position in a southern county and attend training at Pat Thomas. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is. Good luck!

That is good, I was just hearing rumors up at tally that they were doing away with the local academy option. I really want to work for FWC, but I am tired of leaving my family for months at a time. Thanks for the clarification. You know how rumors go.

Also,

I told them in my interview I would only accept four specific counties. They seemed really helpful. They loved the fact that I am a FDLE CMS instructor. Hopefully all that helps.

Can anyone tell me the actual hiring process for a current Florida certified LEO? I read about it on the FWC website but I wanted to know about academy status, testing etc. Thanks for any info.

Heres a few questions. Has anyone heard if there are any openings in Highlands County? Dead in the center of Florida, I'm just wondering if by the time I have my paperwork and hiring process completed if there will be any positions opened. Also, I am currently LE certified and would leave my agency in GREAT standings, so how long would it be until I'm in FTO? From what I understand I would not go through a transition course, but possibly at a later time? I'm still debating whether to make the switch, I love the outdoors and what FWC does however I hate switching jobs. I'm also afraid I will miss patrol work believe it or not. If I do go I'm looking at submitting my app around January-ish so any pointers?

There may be a vacancy in Highlands. I don't know. Even if ther is, the possibility remains that it will not be offered to new applicants. The way the process works is Tallahassee determines the priority vacancies based on how concentrated the are. For instance, if there is 1 vacancy in Highlands and 7 vacancies in Dade, and they plan to hire only 3 new officers, Dade will most likely get them. One thing to keep in mind is that you will be able to transfer wherever you like or at least closer if there is a spot.
    I think the best advise for all is to call the Training Center. I believe their number is on the web site http://www.myfwc.com. They will be able to assist you better than this page, although I think most of the content here is pretty accurate. You just need to weed through those that might complain however jsutified they may be.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will be able to transfer wherever you like or at least closer if there is a spot.

Trust me when I say. "We are so hard up for warm bodies to fill positions you can pretty much tell them where you want to go and only go." Whatever you do though. Do not depend on the prospect of moving as soon as your first year is up. If they are really short handed in a big busy county down south and you want to go back home to a county with one opening they're not gonna allow that move. Remember that first and foremost, agency needs come first.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast