a few questions (interested in applying)

a few questions (interested in applying)

how are the zones broken up. If I was assigned to palm beach county. Would it be the whole county, north county, I-95 or the turnpike?

I'm not much of a runner. Is there a lot of running in the cert. academy?

thanks for the replys

Re: a few questions (interested in applying)

No there is virtually no running in the in-service academy for certified officers. It is just in service training, you will have to do some red man for DT training. You will do ASP, OCAT but that is about it for PT stuff.

If you get hired and are assigned to the West Palm area, you are assigned to a field office. Different offices do things differently in each part of the state, but for the most part you are assigned a county as a zone. Each field office has several counties, depending on how big your field office's area is, you could rotate through each of the counties in your area every day or month. If you have a big enough area then you may just rotate between the county you live in and the surrounding counties. There is one field office that I know of, that if you live in the southern region of the district you would have to drive two hours to reach the northern part of the district, so in those instances, you would most likely work your county and the areas around it. It doesnt make much sense to drive two hours to your zone, while you pass a guy from that area so he can go work in your area.

thanks for the response. I live in Port Saint Lucie. is there a cut off travel distance from where you live to where you are assigned?Could I work in Plam Beach Co, (for CAD)

Yes, you will get CAD and can live in Pt. St. Lucie.
    The Palm Beach Field office covers Indian River, St. Lucie, Okeechobee, Martin, Palm Beach, and I believe Highlands and Hendry Counties. I think coverage up in St. Lucie and Indian River Counties is low so you may have a good chance of getting hired for the Palm Beach Field Office.

Palm Beach covers Indian River, St Lucie, Martin, Palm Beach, Okeechobee, and some of Broward County. St Lucie is OK to live and work in West Palm Office. I believe you have to be certified to get hired, or thats the last rumor. Also, if your not certified FDLE has now included PT into its new curriculim.

Quote Originally Posted by DOT COP
    Yes, you will get CAD and can live in Pt. St. Lucie.
    The Palm Beach Field office covers Indian River, St. Lucie, Okeechobee, Martin, Palm Beach, and I believe Highlands and Hendry Counties. I think coverage up in St. Lucie and Indian River Counties is low so you may have a good chance of getting hired for the Palm Beach Field Office.
    Do they pay you CAD based on what field office you work out of or what county you work in?

Yes, West Palm, Miami, and FT myers all have CAD. However Ft. Myers is a lower amount than the east coast. But if your trying to get a job, get it where you can, work on the dollars later. Times are tough right now.