ERIE, PA – He might be their chief, but the Erie chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police doesn't want Steve Franklin to be a member any longer.

The 13-member Executive Board of the Fraternal Order of Police, Erie Lodge No. 7, voted to expel Franklin from the FOP, the chief said. It was not clear if one specific incident led to the vote; union President Chris Lynch refused to comment.

"This is a board decision and it's a delicate situation, and I don't want to comment on it at this time," he said.

The board has had repeated conflicts with Franklin since Erie Mayor Joe Sinnott named him to the office in 2006.

Franklin said he believes the vote had to do with a series of grievances filed by the union against him, most to do with job postings. Franklin said he also believes the vote signals that upcoming union negotiations could be difficult.

The FOP wage committee met with the administration for the first time Wednesday to lay out proposals for a new contract. The current contract expires in December.

"They're obviously not happy with me," Franklin said, referring to the union. "Obviously I don't agree with them."

Sinnott declined to comment on the issue.

Franklin has been a member of the FOP since he was hired by the department as a patrolman in 1980. He has the right to appeal the decision, said Jim Pasco, the executive director of the FOP's national legislative office in Washington, D.C.

Pasco said expelling a chief is unusual.

"It's not something that happens every day," he said. "But it certainly has precedent."

He said he was unaware of the situation in Erie and did not know why the board had voted to oust Franklin from the union ranks.

Franklin said he's unsure if he'll fight the expulsion.

"I'm not sure I want to belong to an organization that doesn't want me in it," Franklin said.
From The Erie Times-News