Special Assignments

Special Assignments

Why is it that special assignment positions (such as Investigator, Bomb Squad, Motors, Crime Suppression, Training etc) are not competitive but appear to be "given" away?

Re: Special Assignments

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Why is it that special assignment positions (such as Investigator, Bomb Squad, Motors, Crime Suppression, Training etc) are not competitive but appear to be "given" away?
    Because Ben operates a good old boy system. Look who he hires; Jody Thomas (DBPD) - friend of Billy Lee; Bob Sullivan - campaign manager for Ben; Chuck Habermehl - friend of Bill Lee; Andy Conklin (DPD) - friend of Ben. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. He does not promote the most qualified, he promotes the most loyal and those he likes. That's why our department is in the shape it is in. The "Yes" men and loyal men (and women) get ahead much more than those qualified. Think of who we have for Lieutenants and Captains. They are afraid to tell Ben anything other than he wants to hear. That's just the way it is. And if you are a citizen that knows Ben, you get the royal treatment while the deputy gets the royal shaft. It's pretty sad when everyone knows what F.O.B. stands for. Our lack of leadership starts at the top. And we are lacking most of the way down. Do as I say, not as I do!

Re: Special Assignments

Quality Post. The symptoms are laid out perfectly. You have some sergeants who should be Lieutenants (like Bob Rohm) but are not because they are "tell it like it is" types. And you have the new breed of sergeant that would kill for a promotion. And the individuals that you mentioned.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1308894
    Because Ben operates a good old boy system. Look who he hires; Jody Thomas (DBPD) - friend of Billy Lee; Bob Sullivan - campaign manager for Ben; Chuck Habermehl - friend of Bill Lee; Andy Conklin (DPD) - friend of Ben. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. He does not promote the most qualified, he promotes the most loyal and those he likes. That's why our department is in the shape it is in. The "Yes" men and loyal men (and women) get ahead much more than those qualified. Think of who we have for Lieutenants and Captains. They are afraid to tell Ben anything other than he wants to hear. That's just the way it is. And if you are a citizen that knows Ben, you get the royal treatment while the deputy gets the royal shaft. It's pretty sad when everyone knows what F.O.B. stands for. Our lack of leadership starts at the top. And we are lacking most of the way down. Do as I say, not as I do!
    Anyone else see a reoccurring theme here?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1309003
    Quality Post. The symptoms are laid out perfectly. You have some sergeants who should be Lieutenants (like Bob Rohm) but are not because they are "tell it like it is" types. And you have the new breed of sergeant that would kill for a promotion. And the individuals that you mentioned.
    Bob Rohm...haha. He gossips like a girl. He was called out in the IA on Tammy Thoman for the policy violation for gossiping. Of course nothing happened to him.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1308894
    Wow Chitwood. Your hate is really coming through. A few facts.

Habermehl turned around the training department. He made confidence in the line of fire a mindset that saved the lives of deputies.

Jody Thomas took over an evidence department that had two criminals prior to him as managers. He turned it around.

I will give you that Conklin is a bit of a waste and Bob Sullivan is completely political.

Now look at yourself Chitwood...

Janelle Ho-Man...campaign manager...all political.
    Carla Quan - a position created. not the best qualified. Hello affirmative action.
    Baby Bosco - out at training because nobody else would do the "guardian" bs that Chitwood wants. All political
    Johnny Creamer - The fourth amendment violator.

And look at some of the promotions for other positions (Morgan, Bustamante, Galarza, etc)

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Anyone else see a reoccurring theme here?
    Maybe you should take notice of the date that was posted.

Unregistered
    Maybe you should take notice of the date that was posted.
    That was probably the point. Different administration but same gripes. Welcome to the public sector.

Unregistered
    That was probably the point. Different administration but same gripes. Welcome to the public sector.
    How many swat calls did Ben affect? How many bicycles did Ben litter on I95? How many times did Ben wrongfully fire without cause and during a deputy shortage? How many times did Ben disgrace the department? How many times did Ben disrespect the county image? How many times did Ben hide from the negative spotlight? How many times was Ben stopped for criminally speeding? How many side chicks did Ben have?

Unregistered
    How many swat calls did Ben affect? How many bicycles did Ben litter on I95? How many times did Ben wrongfully fire without cause and during a deputy shortage? How many times did Ben disgrace the department? How many times did Ben disrespect the county image? How many times did Ben hide from the negative spotlight? How many times was Ben stopped for criminally speeding? How many side chicks did Ben have?
    Beautiful. How many times did Ben go UNQ at the range? How many sunshine laws did Ben break? How many times did Ben bring a firearm into an airport while traveling and not on duty (breaking the law)? How many companies like GS4 (hello Pulse Night Club security company) did Ben hire? How much did Ben openly support illegal immigration and a concept of being a sanctuary county? How did Ben feel about de-escalation?