Employment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Employment

Employment

So, I am about the start the academy here in Hillsborough County. Not sure where I am going to work after, whether it be city, or local. I do not prefer to work for HCSO, just have heard a lot of bad things. I was wondering if after I finish the academy here, if I did want to pursue a career with you guys what kind of move would I have to do? I think I would have to do a cross over in quincy if I was hired, how long would it be. Any idea as well on placement? I don't mind the move but would like to stick around here.

The best way is to go throught a local academy, then if hired by our agency go through the in service class. It's an additional 12 weeks. You would have a good chance staying local, Tampa or Orlando. My opinion would be to goto a local PD or SO. You would most likely
    start at a higher pay with a step plan, especially in that area. You would also have more of an oppurtunity of doing other things in the department and a better chance for promotions.

I'm not in it for the money. I have been working for my fathers trucking company for the last 3 years. I have a lot of knowledge about the industry. Maybe not your side of it, but I enjoy being around trucks. I could do a local PD or SO, but I am not interested in HCSO. Just don't like all of the things I have been hearing, as far as politics and things like that. I think the states retirement is a bit better. Correct me if I am wrong though. My uncle has been with the FDOT for about 5 years now, I don't really want to drop names but he said he would set me up with Lt Frost when I was ready. Another thing that has drawn me to you is how nice the Dept is. I look at other forums and the replies are full of hate and how much they hate the dept. Here, it's just not that. I like it here and I would like to get on and stick around for a while. I was also considering Fish, Game and Wildlife. What would you suggest? I am 24, unmarried and about to start the Academy, I went to Saint Leo for a year. All in all, I just hear good things about your guys. Especially with the slight chance of you guys combining with FHP.

Sounds like you made up your mind up.....DOT is going through growing pains. Most officers would do whatever the department needed but as the years went on the dept. began taking advantage of it. So now most of the officers are doing the minimum required to stay out of trouble and not volunteering for anything. Bottom line a morale issue. The main reason is for lack of pay and lack of promotions. They would rather hire outside the agency for LT's and higher and also bring back retired majors as officers starting at $55,000. Officers are seeing the true colors of DOT and are looking else where. I would hate to see you waste your time here.

Sounds like you made up your mind up.....DOT is going through growing pains. Most officers would do whatever the department needed but as the years went on the dept. began taking advantage of it. So now most of the officers are doing the minimum required to stay out of trouble and not volunteering for anything. Bottom line a morale issue. The main reason is for lack of pay and lack of promotions. They would rather hire outside the agency for LT's and higher and also bring back retired majors as officers starting at $55,000. Officers are seeing the true colors of DOT and are looking else where. I would hate to see you waste your time here.

Quote Originally Posted by guest1117
    I'm not in it for the money. I have been working for my fathers trucking company for the last 3 years. I have a lot of knowledge about the industry. Maybe not your side of it, but I enjoy being around trucks. I could do a local PD or SO, but I am not interested in HCSO. Just don't like all of the things I have been hearing, as far as politics and things like that. I think the states retirement is a bit better. Correct me if I am wrong though. My uncle has been with the FDOT for about 5 years now, I don't really want to drop names but he said he would set me up with Lt Frost when I was ready. Another thing that has drawn me to you is how nice the Dept is. I look at other forums and the replies are full of hate and how much they hate the dept. Here, it's just not that. I like it here and I would like to get on and stick around for a while. I was also considering Fish, Game and Wildlife. What would you suggest? I am 24, unmarried and about to start the Academy, I went to Saint Leo for a year. All in all, I just hear good things about your guys. Especially with the slight chance of you guys combining with FHP.
    Every law enforcement agency has its issues. Roll the dice and see what happens. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTMAN

Yeah I guess I kind of made up my mind. A friend of mine, a Saint Pete PD officer is going to go along with me when I get out of the Academy. I just hope we land in the same area. But you said they are going through "Growing Pains" what do you mean by that?

Also to Diesel Cop, thank you for the words of encouragement I know every department isn't "perfect" in a way. I think the department will only be as good as I make it. I just want to make the best of what I can with what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by guest1117
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTMAN

Yeah I guess I kind of made up my mind. A friend of mine, a Saint Pete PD officer is going to go along with me when I get out of the Academy. I just hope we land in the same area. But you said they are going through "Growing Pains" what do you mean by that?

Also to Diesel Cop, thank you for the words of encouragement I know every department isn't "perfect" in a way. I think the department will only be as good as I make it. I just want to make the best of what I can with what I have.
    One thing you have going for you. You're not married with kids. It's tough to make a living with the salary we have.

Re: Employment

i'm applying to FDOT because I love the color of the cars, the light bars, and cause FDOT priority is Traffic Enforcement. plus I hate truck drivers with a passion especially the ones from Florida! someone needs to put an end to their madness and I belive I am definitley that someone. and I would like to work on the Highways.

FDOT - we do the best for less with less!

Re: Employment

Our mission is weights and safety compliance, not traffic enforcement. Traffic enforcement is an addition to our main mission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast