Tasers coming for FHP - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Captain Succi, normaly I would agree with you but having the lastest laptop or software isn't whats stopping officers from being hurt or killed. Todays world is becoming more an more violent, while I may not ever pull the trigger on my AR-15, I can almost guarantee you that I will on the Taser. The thugs know when we do a felony stop or any contact where we pull the gun an they have no visible weapon, well they ignore us knowing we can't really shoot. Its much easier to Taser someone then put the gun back in the holster and then have the fight, actutally its much safer to have that Taser ready than a gun that your not going to use. Even just the sight of a Taser demands respect and complience-I guarantee you more than a gun (glock or berrreta). And for the post about puting the Taser higher on the use of control, obviously you think your superman, the whole reason to get a taser is so are hands are off, why to have wait for someone to hit you, i know I'm not a professional fighter, its should be the Troopers decision when to deploy it, making aset policy is dumb, a 98lb female Trooper being told by a 250lb drunk that he not going to jail; well should she wait till he actively resist. Departments with tasers have seen a decrease in workman comps claims and less officers off the job because of being injured in a struggle. The reason we have such low use of control is because the old administrations refusing to do police work or assiting other agencies when the crap hit the fan. Its one of the reason we have very litte respect from other agencies, I can asure you the disrespect we've allowed to ourselves isn't the case with most State Patrol agencies; would you run from a Georgia Trooper if you were a bad guy. probably not. Why its their reputation! We discourage use of control. Whats our reputation, not 25 years ago but now? I always laugh when someone says how they've never arrested someone who refused to sign a citation, you allowed yourself and the law to be disrespected and put yourself in a dangerous spot just making the traffic stop to begin with and. While treating the public with respect is great and sometimes if not mostly works, this hands off mentality is sickening. Do we really think we're losing Troopers everyday to other agencies just over the money? I bet you its the lack of pride in being a Florida Trooper, why because the old administration made us into a bunch of service aides with great technology, but took our balls away. If all the military branches paid the same, would you rather say you were a Marine or in the Coast guard, I bet a Marine , why? because of the reputation and honor that comes with it, well for too long we made ourselves no better than any other agency, and on top of it they pay better, so why stay? Colonel Czernis is doing an amazing job. he hasn't even been our Colonel a year and look at all the changes, sure most of these thing just catch us up to other agencies, but if we still were under the old Colonel we wouldn't have nothing except nicer computers. Its not just about the so called toys it about bringing pride an respect and our reputation as State Troopers back in all of us. Unfortutately changing some of the brass and seasoned Troopers mentality when most not all, have forgoten what we're supposed to be will take some time but Colonel Czernis is at least starting this change, its got to start somewhere. Thanks to him its starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest987654
    I'm glad that the state is looking to purchase Tasers for the Troopers. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I will happily add another item to my gun belt if it stands the chance of getting me home safely at the end of my shift.

The reason that I said I'm not a huge fan of the Taser is that I think some agencies have the Taser toolow on the Use of Control Matrix. Some agencies are using it at the verbal resistance level.

Officer: "Cme here"
    Subject: "no"
    ZZZZZZAAAAPPPP

I think, at a minimum, it should be placed at the active resistance level.

My other problem with Tasers, and this is only my opinion, is that officers equipped with this weapon have forgotten how to talk to people. I would much rather talk a person into compliance than have to send 50,000 volts through him. Granted, not everyone can be talked into cuffs but, given the option, I prefer it. Many moons ago, a now retired Lieutenant and I stopped a drunk and promptly arrested him. He was every bit of 6'6" and at least 350 ounds. He had 7 or 8 convictions for Battery and Aggravated Battery on an LEO. He was cuffed without a fight. While he was sitting in the back of the patrol car, he got this very surprised look on his face and said, "Wow, this is the first time I have ever been arrested and didn't try to beat the hell out of a cop". The LT askd him why he didn't try to beat the hell out of us. His response was that he didn't really know. After thinking about it for a few seconds, he came to the conclusion that it was the manner in which we talked to him that made him decide to go without a fight.
    That's the best outcome that could have happend.

Most of the time I am in agreement with Captain Succi, however, I respectfully disagree with him on this issue. Lasers are a great tool, but they won't help a Trooper go home at the end of the day. We have fewer Use of Force incidents than most departments but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have an additional intermediate weapon to go to. If we based our weapon outfitting on the number of incidents we had then we could get rid of our firearms. We have many more incidents of pepper spraying or hand to hand response to resistance than we do shootings, but we would never leave home without our firearm.

Kudos to Colonel Czernis for trying to help us out a little. Also, for what it is worth, I think the method of distribution of the Tasers is a great idea. Even though I'm not on a DUI squad, midnights, or CIP, I think they should be the ones to get the Tasers first.

Take care and stay safe.
    good post Trooper. A little respect goes a loooong way with most.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Let the rookies have fun with their new toys. The novelty will wear off soon enough when their toy box is full and they can't make the house payment or feed the family. Don't be distracted and take your eye off the ball, with Tallahassee flooding the agency with new toys. It may keep the rookies around an extra year but sooner or later they will see the light when the creditor's come knocking. If it wasn't for off duty employment and trooper's making an extra 20 thousand dollars or more per year, FHP would have already folded up like a cheap lawn chair.
    I have to say I support the Colonel and I am thankful for the changes that he is making. I also agree with the above in reference to our pay issue. Without overtime / hireback I would not make it. I would be forced to find another job. $2,300 a month after 6 years of service is embarassing and doesn't cover (house , car payments, children, groceries, gas etc.) On another note GO GLOCK !
    amen to both points!

Quote Originally Posted by real world
    Captain Succi, normaly I would agree with you but having the lastest laptop or software isn't whats stopping officers from being hurt or killed. Todays world is becoming more an more violent, while I may not ever pull the trigger on my AR-15, I can almost guarantee you that I will on the Taser. The thugs know when we do a felony stop or any contact where we pull the gun an they have no visible weapon, well they ignore us knowing we can't really shoot. Its much easier to Taser someone then put the gun back in the holster and then have the fight, actutally its much safer to have that Taser ready than a gun that your not going to use. Even just the sight of a Taser demands respect and complience-I guarantee you more than a gun (glock or *********). And for the post about puting the Taser higher on the use of control, obviously you think your superman, the whole reason to get a taser is so are hands are off, why to have wait for someone to hit you, i know I'm not a professional fighter, its should be the Troopers decision when to deploy it, making aset policy is dumb, a 98lb female Trooper being told by a 250lb drunk that he not going to jail; well should she wait till he actively resist. Departments with tasers have seen a decrease in workman comps claims and less officers off the job because of being injured in a struggle. The reason we have such low use of control is because the old administrations refusing to do police work or assiting other agencies when the crap hit the fan. Its one of the reason we have very litte respect from other agencies, I can asure you the disrespect we've allowed to ourselves isn't the case with most State Patrol agencies; would you run from a Georgia Trooper if you were a bad guy. probably not. Why its their reputation! We discourage use of control. Whats our reputation, not 25 years ago but now? I always laugh when someone says how they've never arrested someone who refused to sign a citation, you allowed yourself and the law to be disrespected and put yourself in a dangerous spot just making the traffic stop to begin with and. While treating the public with respect is great and sometimes if not mostly works, this hands off mentality is sickening. Do we really think we're losing Troopers everyday to other agencies just over the money? I bet you its the lack of pride in being a Florida Trooper, why because the old administration made us into a bunch of service aides with great technology, but took our balls away. If all the military branches paid the same, would you rather say you were a Marine or in the Coast guard, I bet a Marine , why? because of the reputation and honor that comes with it, well for too long we made ourselves no better than any other agency, and on top of it they pay better, so why stay? Colonel Czernis is doing an amazing job. he hasn't even been our Colonel a year and look at all the changes, sure most of these thing just catch us up to other agencies, but if we still were under the old Colonel we wouldn't have nothing except nicer computers. Its not just about the so called toys it about bringing pride an respect and our reputation as State Troopers back in all of us. Unfortutately changing some of the brass and seasoned Troopers mentality when most not all, have forgoten what we're supposed to be will take some time but Colonel Czernis is at least starting this change, its got to start somewhere. Thanks to him its starting.
    great read!!

In my post I was responding to what I thought about the purchase of tasers. If that is what everyone wants, I have no problem with it.

I do believe there is other equipment we need first. The main item is the handgun as I stated. These guns have been around for about 15 years. It is time to replace them.

I was justifying my reasoning for using the money elsewhere when I mentioned the number of use of control reports.

We are making many great strides, my order of purchase is just different. I'm just a lonely captain and those decisions are made at Staff level and my thoughts are not sought from Staff. My thoughts were sought on this forum and I replied.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

Succi for Col!!!

The other thing about the lack of the use of control amongst Troopers is simply a manpower issue for one. When you have an area like Orlando where 30 or more crashes holding, what are the odds that they get to be proactive. In South East Florida its common as it is in other parts of the State to have a few as one to three Troopers out on a midnight shift. The odds of Troopers looking beyond the traffic ticket, and finding something that could cause a fight is slim. On the other hand it only takes one time for something to happen and then what, well we decided to buy the better laptop instead of a Taser, now that Troopers jaw is wired shut cause pepper spray doesn't cut it. Or like what happened in Broward a man was on a I-95 exit ramp brandishing a knife, obviously crazy, but a deputy was able to Tase him and take him into custody, if the Troopers was there, what could he have done, shot him? sprayed him/ now what, now you got a guy franticly waving a knife around because he's pist off about being sprayed. You cannot take liability out of law enforcement, thats what the old Colonel tried to do. Yes when we get tasers, are able to PIT, there will be incidents but thats part of doing business, its our job. But a real leader which our current Colonel apparently is, appears that he will stand up for our decisions, not hide behind some wimped out policy which has made us into a bunch of services aides. Just my thoughts. othing is perfect but I think we are finally going in the right direction, and believe me other agencies are taking notice and its about time. Wait till we get the PIT, our reputation will have changed significantly amnoungst other law enforcement agencies and th the thugs who violently break the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Word part 2
    The other thing about the lack of the use of control amongst Troopers is simply a manpower issue for one. When you have an area like Orlando where 30 or more crashes holding, what are the odds that they get to be proactive. In South East Florida its common as it is in other parts of the State to have a few as one to three Troopers out on a midnight shift. The odds of Troopers looking beyond the traffic ticket, and finding something that could cause a fight is slim. On the other hand it only takes one time for something to happen and then what, well we decided to buy the better laptop instead of a Taser, now that Troopers jaw is wired shut cause pepper spray doesn't cut it. Or like what happened in Broward a man was on a I-95 exit ramp brandishing a knife, obviously crazy, but a deputy was able to Tase him and take him into custody, if the Troopers was there, what could he have done, shot him? sprayed him/ now what, now you got a guy franticly waving a knife around because he's pist off about being sprayed. You cannot take liability out of law enforcement, thats what the old Colonel tried to do. Yes when we get tasers, are able to PIT, there will be incidents but thats part of doing business, its our job. But a real leader which our current Colonel apparently is, appears that he will stand up for our decisions, not hide behind some wimped out policy which has made us into a bunch of services aides. Just my thoughts. othing is perfect but I think we are finally going in the right direction, and believe me other agencies are taking notice and its about time. Wait till we get the PIT, our reputation will have changed significantly amnoungst other law enforcement agencies and th the thugs who violently break the law.
    WE ARE GETTING OUR BALLS BACK BABY!!

Captain Succi my thoughts weren't necessarily directed at you, I'm just glad to see that we are making some real proggress in an agency that I'm still proud to be a part of, its just sad to see all those troopers quit, when maybe it wasn't all about the money, this is something that has happened over time. I'm excited for us. Your thoughts are always excellent and sometimes I just go here to see whats your thoughts are. i agree we should carry Glocks. Georgia Highway patrol carrys' the Glock 45 caliber and the tasers. I actually shoot my Glock 27 back up better than the Berreta.

tasers

Great strides will be made when we are rewarded with a living wage. You can't eat ar-15s, tasers or any other toys that staff are getting us. If the pay is not fixed their will be enough tasers for every trooper to have 2-3 issued to them.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast