Top Cops
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Cops

Top Cops

Hey BBPD guy/girls,

I worked at the Fort Lauderdale PD for a long time, retired and moved out of state. In conversation with an old work buddy, I recently learned that a former FLPD officer named Tony Magnanti is now working at the Boynton Beach PD.

I'm not one to kiss the can of anyone, but if he's working there, I think that it is important for you guys to know a little bit about this guy, because he will not let on to anyone.

Tony is perhaps the best pure leader and cop that I have ever had the pleasure to meet and/or work with. He is a consumate professional, extremely intelligent, tough as nails, and has more than earned his stripes over the years.

Here's what I know about him that might help put what this guy brings to the table into perspective for you guys:

He's a former US Marine, who has traveled the world and has been in combat more than once (his DD-214 proves it, but he'll never mention it to anyone, nor will he confirm/deny it either).

He worked as a safety technician in a nuclear power station (imagine the nerve that it took to do that job).

He was a Broward County S.O. Deputy Sheriff in the early 90's when Nick Navaro was the Sheriff there (that's when the BSO kicked azz and took names).

He worked at the FLPD for 10 years. His first 5 years were spent on midnights with Weds/Thurs off in District 2, a real ghetto.

He was picked to go to K-9, but was nearly killed during his last shift on the road when an old lady pulled out in front of him while responding to an officer involved shooting. His car hit a tree and immediately burst into flames. He was trapped under the collapsed dashboard in a burning car, and injured pretty badly. He had the nerve to simply advise comm that he was involved in a 4, and that they needed to send another unit to the shooting. He gave his location, asked to have fire rescue respond to check the other person out, but never let on that he was about to be burned to death, for fear of delaying the response to the other officer (talk about a team player and a brass set).

His injuries included burns over 23% of his body, a destroyed right hand that had to be reconstructed with internal hardware (his dominant hand), a broken collar bone, fractured hip, destroyed right knee (another surgical repair), and a broken ankle....He was back on the road within six months.

He was the first officer to respond to the fatal shooting of FLPD Officer Bryant Penny, his friend. He arrived on scene and was able to see the suspect fleeing the area. He provided first aid, obtained vital suspect info from the dying Penny, put out the BOLO, and put up a perimeter box that allowed responding officers to trap the suspect in a cemetary. He spent the entire night at the scene, put K-9 on to the last place he saw the shooter, and then helped capture the still armed shooter the next morning. During the trial of Jeffery Lee Weaver, Weaver represented himself. Tony had to be cross examined by the guy who killed his friend, and was able to positively identify him as the man that he saw fleeing the shooting while armed with a handgun (Weaver got the death penalty, but it was reduced to Life. Tony has spoken before the parole board each and every time that Weaver has been before them).

He went to our Narcotics Unit and was there for his second 5 years. In that time he worked street-level, mid-level, and upper-level trafficking cases. He was so good at it that the DEA SAIC himself asked for Tony to be assigned to their Fort Lauderdale Task Force. While at DEA, Tony put away two of the world's most notorious drug traffickers, Wille Falcone and Sal Magluta. These two were real bad, and had killed several witnesses and tampered with two juries. They threatened to kill Tony and his wife and kids, and he spent two years under the protection of the Federal Marshal Service (he'll NEVER discuss the details of that ordeal).

Tony was on our Search Warrant Entry Team, and has been involved in the execution of hundreds of search warrants.

Tony was on our SWAT Team, and has been involved in many, many SWAT operations. In several instances, he has been present when deadly force was necessary to end the situation. In one situation, he shot an armed bank robber who had fled into an office building and taken hostages. The robber made the mistake of grabbing a woman around the neck and threatening to shoot her if the SWAT Team did not back off. Tony had a clear shot and put a .45 round through the guys right eye from 30 feet away, ending what was a very bad situation that was spiraling out of control.

Tony saved his partners life one night when they stopped a car load of armed gang members. Three of the four fled from their vehicle with guns in hand. Tony's partner had snuck up on the fourth one who was in the back seat of the car, and went hands on to try to arrest him. Tony saw them fighting in the back seat of the car and jumped in through the opposite side to assist. Once in the car, he saw that the bad guy had a gun pointed at his partners head. His partner was screaming for help and the bad guy got a round off that missed his partners head by a fraction of an inch. Tony put a .45 round through the bad guys head from 1 foot away, up close and personal style. He had just shot a guy and had blood and brains all over him, but was only concerned about his partner. He got his partner out of the car, got help for him, and pursued the other three armed suspects. He single handedly located them hiding in a doghouse, and took them into custody without further incident. He recovered 4 firearms, and solved 33 armed robberies that these guys had committed in Broward County.

There are many other examples of him capturing armed felons, but you get the point I hope.

Tony is also one of the most inteligent people you will ever meet. He has attended many, many training courses, and earned a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, a Master's degree in Emergency Planning, and a graduate level certificate in Emergency Management. He is also currently and secretly pursuing a Doctoral degree in Organizational Leadership.

He is an Adjunct Professor at Lynn University, and at Palm Beach CC, where he is an instructor at the Police Academy.

When the 9/11 attacks occured, Tony rose to the occasion. He responded to the scene with the team sent by the FLPD and the FLFD. He worked "The Pile" for 7 straight days, and then attended several funerals for personal friends who were with the NYPD and FDNY that he knew and were lost.

He was so struck by this tradgedy, that he sacrificed his 10 year career with the FLPD and became a Federal Air Marshal within a couple of months of the attacks. He did this for the next 3 years, even though he was assigned to the DEA, and about to be promoted to Sergeant at the FLPD (talk about setting the example).

When Tony decided to return to police work, the Chief of the FLPD offered him a cahnce to return to work there with a new position, as an Assistant Police Chief. Tony declined the offer, stating that he was appreciative of the offer, but that believed that it was more important for a cop to earn their position by coming up through the ranks, and if that meant that he needed to start over somewhere, then so be it (WOW!).

Well, if he choose Boynton Beach PD to be that somewhere, you guys are very lucky. This man is the real deal, and he will serve the agency and the community well. He is like no other cop you have ever met, and brings an incredible combimation of a high level of diverse experience, an advanced academic background, and a genuine way with people and cops. He is a great communicator, and his inter-personal skills allow him to be taken seriously no matter the audience or situation.

Tony is the type of person, cop, and leader that comes along once in a great while. I hope that you guys can avoid being intimidated and becoming territorial with him. Do yourselves a real favor and welcome him with open arms. He will respond in kind, and become a leader with the agency in no time. I'll go out on a limb and say that if/when the opportunity arises, he may even be your next Police Chief.

Hopefully you now have an idea about this guy, and can make it work. Best of luck to the agency in the future, and congratulations on landing one of the best cops to ever put on a badge.

Great to hear this about Tony. He is a great guy and we are proud to work with him. Humility seems to be a rare trait in our profession. It sounds like Tony has been in the shit more than anyone in the BBPD and yet you would never know it. He is friendly and reserved. I don't work too closely with him, but I sure hope the department will let him take the next sergeant's test. We sure could you some strong first-line supervisors. I've been very impressed with what I have seen so far.

Re: Top Cops

I thought Magnanti was a FDLE Agent?

is Officer Loy still with BBPD?

I had the pleasure of having Ofc. Magnanti as an instructor in the academy. I didn't know all this stuff about him, but he is a great guy. Sgt. Diguilio is also great.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest

Officer Loy? What's the first name? Not sure....

Officer Loy? What's the first name? Not sure....
    Who is asking and why?

Officer Loy is an outstanding officer and anyone who would post such degrading stuff is only jealous of her ability as an officer. She will go far in this agency as she stands up for herself and isn't about to let the good old boys try her!!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1292747
    Hey BBPD guy/girls,

I worked at the Fort Lauderdale PD for a long time, retired and moved out of state. In conversation with an old work buddy, I recently learned that a former FLPD officer named Tony Magnanti is now working at the Boynton Beach PD.

I'm not one to kiss the can of anyone, but if he's working there, I think that it is important for you guys to know a little bit about this guy, because he will not let on to anyone.

Tony is perhaps the best pure leader and cop that I have ever had the pleasure to meet and/or work with. He is a consumate professional, extremely intelligent, tough as nails, and has more than earned his stripes over the years.

Here's what I know about him that might help put what this guy brings to the table into perspective for you guys:

He's a former US Marine, who has traveled the world and has been in combat more than once (his DD-214 proves it, but he'll never mention it to anyone, nor will he confirm/deny it either).

He worked as a safety technician in a nuclear power station (imagine the nerve that it took to do that job).

He was a Broward County S.O. Deputy Sheriff in the early 90's when Nick Navaro was the Sheriff there (that's when the BSO kicked azz and took names).

He worked at the FLPD for 10 years. His first 5 years were spent on midnights with Weds/Thurs off in District 2, a real ghetto.

He was picked to go to K-9, but was nearly killed during his last shift on the road when an old lady pulled out in front of him while responding to an officer involved shooting. His car hit a tree and immediately burst into flames. He was trapped under the collapsed dashboard in a burning car, and injured pretty badly. He had the nerve to simply advise comm that he was involved in a 4, and that they needed to send another unit to the shooting. He gave his location, asked to have fire rescue respond to check the other person out, but never let on that he was about to be burned to death, for fear of delaying the response to the other officer (talk about a team player and a brass set).

His injuries included ***** over 23% of his body, a destroyed right hand that had to be reconstructed with internal hardware (his dominant hand), a broken collar bone, fractured hip, destroyed right knee (another surgical repair), and a broken ankle....He was back on the road within six months.

He was the first officer to respond to the fatal shooting of FLPD Officer Bryant Penny, his friend. He arrived on scene and was able to see the suspect fleeing the area. He provided first aid, obtained vital suspect info from the dying Penny, put out the BOLO, and put up a perimeter box that allowed responding officers to trap the suspect in a cemetary. He spent the entire night at the scene, put K-9 on to the last place he saw the shooter, and then helped capture the still armed shooter the next morning. During the trial of Jeffery Lee Weaver, Weaver represented himself. Tony had to be cross examined by the guy who killed his friend, and was able to positively identify him as the man that he saw fleeing the shooting while armed with a handgun (Weaver got the death penalty, but it was reduced to Life. Tony has spoken before the parole board each and every time that Weaver has been before them).

He went to our Narcotics Unit and was there for his second 5 years. In that time he worked street-level, mid-level, and upper-level trafficking cases. He was so good at it that the DEA SAIC himself asked for Tony to be assigned to their Fort Lauderdale Task Force. While at DEA, Tony put away two of the world's most notorious drug traffickers, Wille Falcone and Sal Magluta. These two were real bad, and had killed several witnesses and tampered with two juries. They threatened to kill Tony and his wife and kids, and he spent two years under the protection of the Federal Marshal Service (he'll NEVER discuss the details of that ordeal).

Tony was on our Search Warrant Entry Team, and has been involved in the execution of hundreds of search warrants.

Tony was on our SWAT Team, and has been involved in many, many SWAT operations. In several instances, he has been present when deadly force was necessary to end the situation. In one situation, he shot an armed bank robber who had fled into an office building and taken hostages. The robber made the mistake of grabbing a woman around the neck and threatening to shoot her if the SWAT Team did not back off. Tony had a clear shot and put a .45 round through the guys right eye from 30 feet away, ending what was a very bad situation that was spiraling out of control.

Tony saved his partners life one night when they stopped a car load of armed gang members. Three of the four fled from their vehicle with guns in hand. Tony's partner had snuck up on the fourth one who was in the back seat of the car, and went hands on to try to arrest him. Tony saw them fighting in the back seat of the car and jumped in through the opposite side to assist. Once in the car, he saw that the bad guy had a gun pointed at his partners head. His partner was screaming for help and the bad guy got a round off that missed his partners head by a fraction of an inch. Tony put a .45 round through the bad guys head from 1 foot away, up close and personal style. He had just shot a guy and had blood and brains all over him, but was only concerned about his partner. He got his partner out of the car, got help for him, and pursued the other three armed suspects. He single handedly located them hiding in a doghouse, and took them into custody without further incident. He recovered 4 firearms, and solved 33 armed robberies that these guys had committed in Broward County.

There are many other examples of him capturing armed felons, but you get the point I hope.

Tony is also one of the most inteligent people you will ever meet. He has attended many, many training courses, and earned a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, a Master's degree in Emergency Planning, and a graduate level certificate in Emergency Management. He is also currently and secretly pursuing a Doctoral degree in Organizational Leadership.

He is an Adjunct Professor at Lynn University, and at Palm Beach CC, where he is an instructor at the Police Academy.

When the 9/11 attacks occured, Tony rose to the occasion. He responded to the scene with the team sent by the FLPD and the FLFD. He worked "The Pile" for 7 straight days, and then attended several funerals for personal friends who were with the NYPD and FDNY that he knew and were lost.

He was so struck by this tradgedy, that he sacrificed his 10 year career with the FLPD and became a Federal Air Marshal within a couple of months of the attacks. He did this for the next 3 years, even though he was assigned to the DEA, and about to be promoted to Sergeant at the FLPD (talk about setting the example).

When Tony decided to return to police work, the Chief of the FLPD offered him a cahnce to return to work there with a new position, as an Assistant Police Chief. Tony declined the offer, stating that he was appreciative of the offer, but that believed that it was more important for a cop to earn their position by coming up through the ranks, and if that meant that he needed to start over somewhere, then so be it (WOW!).

Well, if he choose Boynton Beach PD to be that somewhere, you guys are very lucky. This man is the real deal, and he will serve the agency and the community well. He is like no other cop you have ever met, and brings an incredible combimation of a high level of diverse experience, an advanced academic background, and a genuine way with people and cops. He is a great communicator, and his inter-personal skills allow him to be taken seriously no matter the audience or situation.

Tony is the type of person, cop, and leader that comes along once in a great while. I hope that you guys can avoid being intimidated and becoming territorial with him. Do yourselves a real favor and welcome him with open arms. He will respond in kind, and become a leader with the agency in no time. I'll go out on a limb and say that if/when the opportunity arises, he may even be your next Police Chief.

Hopefully you now have an idea about this guy, and can make it work. Best of luck to the agency in the future, and congratulations on landing one of the best cops to ever put on a badge.
    This could possibly be the greatest story ever told!

Unregistered

Wow interesting

Quote Originally Posted by ;1292747
    Hey BBPD guy/girls,

His injuries included ***** over 23% of his body, a destroyed right hand that had to be reconstructed with internal hardware (his dominant hand), a broken collar bone, fractured hip, destroyed right knee (another surgical repair), and a broken ankle....He was back on the road within six months.

Thank you for the update TONY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast