Thought some of you might like an update on the merger – at least the little bit that I’m aware of. The Sheriff’s Office has sent the City a “final” proposal that consists of a spreadsheet detailing the cost and a cover letter that outlines contract renewal increases for the first three years and goes on to ask for a more comprehensive response, presumably from the city. To my knowledge, no contract was delivered for the Commission to consider, so I’m left with the impression that there’s more to be negotiated. As far as a timetable, without a contract to consider, I don’t know how the Commission can act on anything this week in time for the Sheriff to address the next County Commission meeting, if that is his intention. Maybe the contract is being put together now. I don’t know but I sure hope so. This has gone on long enough.

In less than 3 months, the Commission has to approve next years budget. If not PBSO, then what? And how? And how much?

So it’s more wait and see. I remain hopeful that a public meeting will be called, maybe at the LW High School auditorium, where all the interested parties can finally resolve this one way or the other and allow the public to learn what the future holds for law enforcement in Lake Worth. Anyone can contact me at 602-8874 or marylindsey33460@gmail.com

M.