Certified Cross-Over academy (9-week deal) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Certified does not equal a cop. Some of the certified people need to learn that when they go to the academy and get the chip off their shoulder.
    Have to get that chip removed so they can replace it with the unwarranted boulder you get in the academy.

Can't all this cross over stuff and policy crap be learned in FTO? What makes FHP any different that any other LEO agency?
    Just because you're certified doesn't mean you were previously a police officer. We hire bartenders, maids, landscapers, tow truck drivers, etc.. Certified people that have zero experience. This is just another way to weed out recruits.

MOD 511

I'm refering to actual cops.. Been on the job and done some time, and would like to do FHP.. I know with other states it's just a transition type of course and you learn there way.. But when the basic recruits are out pounding a 5-mile run, the "experienced" group is studying or actually utilizing thier talants...

I don't get why I need to sit thru BTO, Radar, and Laser all over again.. FHP uses the same dam things as other agencies... so why waste the time, money, and headaches of going thru the nonsense??

Why in the heck does it take 9 weeks to learn how to write/type a ticket and crash report???? Give me a break!!!!

I bet 75% of these cross-over guys have more LEO experience than those teaching at the academy. More money wasted on troopers who will never stay with FHP for more than 3 years.
    You have to learn FHP policy and procedures. More to this job than stroking a ticket and filling out a crash report.
    9 weeks for P/P???? :lol: FHP must be hiring some real slow ones!!!!

10 weeks of FTO, but 9 weeks in the academy???? How can a S/04 be any different than the one's I've been working for the past 10 years?? It can't take that long to learn the little printer gizmo in the car for tickets...

Quote Originally Posted by dan1065cf
    10 weeks of FTO, but 9 weeks in the academy???? How can a S/04 be any different than the one's I've been working for the past 10 years?? It can't take that long to learn the little printer gizmo in the car for tickets...
    If you don't like it, then don't apply and quit whining. You either want to be a trooper or you don't.

The subject of a crossover programs always seems to be an interesting topic to discuss.

One the one hand, I would love to fill the ranks with certified officers by giving them the uniform and a FTO for 10 weeks. This would help the shortages around the state.

On the other hand, I am a big believer in the academy. As I have in other threads, I can only post my own experience and opinions. When I went to the academy (the old academy) I was in my early twenties and it was a shock to me. I knew on paper what to expect, but it wasn't until I actually got knee deep in it that I knew what to really expect.

Over my 20 some weeks of sharing a room with two complete strangers managing two desks, two closets, three sleep schedules, etc. you grow a bond with your roommates (love or hate of course). Back when 50+ guys were having to use the four showers and sinks within short periods of time, you learn interpersonal skills. Sure it may not always be pleasant, but I can laugh at the time I spent there.

Probably about 60% of my class are still Troopers, some didn't like it, some were asked to leave. My one roommate actually quit while on FTO...but I applauded him because he knew it just wasn't for him. I would hate to go through all that academy time and not work the road, but it was his decision. I wish the ride along programs weren't such a hassle. I always thought the best recruitment tool was to see what we do. You either want to to this job or you don't. No brochure or website can tell you for sure, it takes being out on the road. I don't want to blow smoke at you.

For someone with many years of real experience (original poster), I can only ask you to determine if you really want the job. There are hurdles you have to go through to get it, and I would not want you to waste your time and money going through them, only to not want the job. The crossover may seem like a hassle, but it wasn't too long ago when there wasn't even a crossover program! Imagine going through the whole thing when you are already certified! I do belive the crossovers know their assignment before the academy...but I may be wrong.

Just like the other thread of the guy looking to get into law enforcement, I will just say to look at the department, do a ride along if you can, and see if this is what you want. This job is not for eveyone (just read the posts on LEOAFFAIRS), but some people still love it.

Best wishes on your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Postive Trooper
    The subject of a crossover programs always seems to be an interesting topic to discuss.

One the one hand, I would love to fill the ranks with certified officers by giving them the uniform and a FTO for 10 weeks. This would help the shortages around the state.

On the other hand, I am a big believer in the academy. As I have in other threads, I can only post my own experience and opinions. When I went to the academy (the old academy) I was in my early twenties and it was a shock to me. I knew on paper what to expect, but it wasn't until I actually got knee deep in it that I knew what to really expect.

Over my 20 some weeks of sharing a room with two complete strangers managing two desks, two closets, three sleep schedules, etc. you grow a bond with your roommates (love or hate of course). Back when 50+ guys were having to use the four showers and sinks within short periods of time, you learn interpersonal skills. Sure it may not always be pleasant, but I can laugh at the time I spent there.

Probably about 60% of my class are still Troopers, some didn't like it, some were asked to leave. My one roommate actually quit while on FTO...but I applauded him because he knew it just wasn't for him. I would hate to go through all that academy time and not work the road, but it was his decision. I wish the ride along programs weren't such a hassle. I always thought the best recruitment tool was to see what we do. You either want to to this job or you don't. No brochure or website can tell you for sure, it takes being out on the road. I don't want to blow smoke at you.

For someone with many years of real experience (original poster), I can only ask you to determine if you really want the job. There are hurdles you have to go through to get it, and I would not want you to waste your time and money going through them, only to not want the job. The crossover may seem like a hassle, but it wasn't too long ago when there wasn't even a crossover program! Imagine going through the whole thing when you are already certified! I do belive the crossovers know their assignment before the academy...but I may be wrong.

Just like the other thread of the guy looking to get into law enforcement, I will just say to look at the department, do a ride along if you can, and see if this is what you want. This job is not for eveyone (just read the posts on LEOAFFAIRS), but some people still love it.

I have 11 years exp....the crossover academy is not going to teach me anything new...it is just a waste of money for FHP.
    LEO,s with past experience only need ,the FTO program for about 5 weeks the most.

I have 11 years exp....the crossover academy is not going to teach me anything new...it is just a waste of money for FHP.
    LEO,s with past experience only need ,the FTO program for about 5 weeks the most.
    sounds like this guy will be a fun person to work with :roll:

I agree....put these new guys on the road faster...no need to waste 9 weeks of what they already know.....they all know 10-50s and sig 4,s

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast