Applying for FHP needs opinions suggestions etc.,
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Applying for FHP needs opinions suggestions etc.,

Hi guys,

Looking to joining the Force, I just printed out the application. I will definitely start fresh with no experience. Aside from the CJbat which I have past in the past , anything else I should know such as the process , how long it will take, pay, etc.,
    \Any info would help !

Thanks!

Save yourself allot of aggravation and apply somewhere else... Read some of the topics on here to get a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Save yourself allot of aggravation and apply somewhere else... Read some of the topics on here to get a clue.
    Yes to this poster, so I guess your department is the poster child of all departments,,,, what as ass

Yes to this poster, so I guess your department is the poster child of all departments,,,, what as ass
    No, I think what they are saying is that their department is FHP and it is no poster child, so apply somewhere else.

We are the poster child for underpaid and non progressive departments. This is the FHP board so who would I have been talking about? I didn't think my response was that confusing. That being said come on down you will fit right in here :roll:

Thanks alot

Hey guys thanks for the hints, but I think with how our country and it's wacky recession is going paying job is better than no JOB
    Be safe out there perhaps one day I will be in Uniform

Re: Applying for FHP needs opinions suggestions etc.,

Quote Originally Posted by OB
    Hi guys,

Looking to joining the Force, I just printed out the application. I will definitely start fresh with no experience. Aside from the CJbat which I have past in the past , anything else I should know such as the process , how long it will take, pay, etc.,
    \Any info would help !

Thanks!
    Based on your screen name information you are from Miami. The good news is that there are openings there!

The best advice I can give you is to do your homework. Anytime I talk to people looking to go into law enforcement, I tell them to check out many departments. In the Miami area, there are plenty of agencies for you to look into. See what their day to day workload is like. I can only speak for myself and will in no way try to speak for all of FHP.

This site has a majority of posts that we could call "negative." There are some unhappy Troopers around the state for a variety of reasons. I don't know how working conditions are in each part of the state...each Troop is a different highway patrol for certain topics.

The biggest complaint about FHP is pay. I hate how low we are paid and no step program in place to make you want to stay. Basically you either stay because you really enjoy your job or you leave for money. Many Troopers that leave have said they enjoyed the job..but had to leave because of money. I personally will not be leaving because in my area (NE florida) our pay is actually close to most other agencies. However, with 10 years of experience they make more money.

However, having loved ones who work for other agencies, I know personally that their job is not for me. I enjoy doing traffic related duties...that is my primary focus. I like it out on the Interstate system. Not all agencies will have exciting days everyday. I get bored out here, but then I try harder to get into something. I am not a big ticket writer, but I do try to stop plenty of cars for violations. There is no telling what you will get into or who you will stop. I am fortunate to work in an area where I am not running crash to crash...if I was in a place like that, I would transfer. I work my crashes, help my disabled vehicles, but I would rather be stopping cars.

Another issue is the lack of opportunites to do something different. While other departments may have many special units, etc...we are limited. Unless you want to do THI, BOI, or CIP...there isn't much else to do except promote. Again, do you research into what you want to do in law enforcement. If you want to track down fugitives or get involved with gangs (for instance)...pass on us.

Our training leaves much to be desired. I will only assume that it is due to lack of funding. Don't expect to get any special classes unless they are free (and then you still may get denied).

There are more negatives, but you can read through the other posts on this site to learn them. I think what you read on here will probably prepare you for the complaining that goes on in the field. But don't think we are the only agencies with negative issues. I can only recommend you talk to real officers...not recruiters. Recruiters are simply looking for you to sign up and tell you everything you want to hear. Talk to the guy with 5-10 years and see what their thoughts are. That seems to be a good "burned out" time for most people.

I do have positives though (and I write these knowing this site will bash me).

1) Freedom-I can write 1000 tickets a month or 50, I won't hear anything about it. I don't see my supervisor unless we are hanging out.

2) Time off- in my area, I have never been denied time off--but this may not be the case statewide with shortages.

3) Plenty of OT/Hireback- If I want to work 32 + extra hours a week to buy a new toy, the opportunity is there. This is always nice around the holidays. Some departments in NE florida are losing all their OT due to cutbacks (this is not a rumor). Of course, our OT and hirebacks may be cut in the future...but as of now...it is not. So our base pay may not be the best...but there is opportunity to make more if you want.

4) Details: This one will probably get me bashed-but I still enjoy the details. I like to go around the State for hurricanes, races, etc. to get away from the house . It just mixes things up.

5) Take home cars-not a big deal since most agencies allow the same..but it is nice to not have to commute.

6) Good co-workers-I happen to work in an area where Troopers work together. There is little to no "loners" who do their own thing. We hang out when off duty...like a big family. I know for sure that this is not the case in many places around the state within FHP. I am lucky to have people who I can trust working with me.

7) Supervisors-Hard to believe (based on the posts on LEOAFFAIRS) but I have good supervisors that know their job...and how to treat their workers.

I could go on and on, but I would just be opening up myself for more bashing. All I can say is do your homework.
    1) Figure out what type of law enforcement you want to do
    2) Investigate the departments that do the job you want to do.

Don't start sending applications to everyone and join the first that take you. That will just lead to headaches down the road.

Good luck with your future. We can always use another Trooper..but only if you want to be with us.

Re: Applying for FHP needs opinions suggestions etc.,

Hey Positive Troop guy that's great thank you so much. I will apply , any chance I can ride with you ! Do FHP have a ride along program!

Quote Originally Posted by Positive Troop
    Hi guys,

\Any info would help !

Thanks!
    Based on your screen name information you are from Miami. The good news is that there are openings there!

The best advice I can give you is to do your homework. Anytime I talk to people looking to go into law enforcement, I tell them to check out many departments. In the Miami area, there are plenty of agencies for you to look into. See what their day to day workload is like. I can only speak for myself and will in no way try to speak for all of FHP.

This site has a majority of posts that we could call "negative." There are some unhappy Troopers around the state for a variety of reasons. I don't know how working conditions are in each part of the state...each Troop is a different highway patrol for certain topics.

The biggest complaint about FHP is pay. I hate how low we are paid and no step program in place to make you want to stay. Basically you either stay because you really enjoy your job or you leave for money. Many Troopers that leave have said they enjoyed the job..but had to leave because of money. I personally will not be leaving because in my area (NE florida) our pay is actually close to most other agencies. However, with 10 years of experience they make more money.

However, having loved ones who work for other agencies, I know personally that their job is not for me. I enjoy doing traffic related duties...that is my primary focus. I like it out on the Interstate system. Not all agencies will have exciting days everyday. I get bored out here, but then I try harder to get into something. I am not a big ticket writer, but I do try to stop plenty of cars for violations. There is no telling what you will get into or who you will stop. I am fortunate to work in an area where I am not running crash to crash...if I was in a place like that, I would transfer. I work my crashes, help my disabled vehicles, but I would rather be stopping cars.

Another issue is the lack of opportunites to do something different. While other departments may have many special units, etc...we are limited. Unless you want to do THI, BOI, or CIP...there isn't much else to do except promote. Again, do you research into what you want to do in law enforcement. If you want to track down fugitives or get involved with gangs (for instance)...pass on us.

Our training leaves much to be desired. I will only assume that it is due to lack of funding. Don't expect to get any special classes unless they are free (and then you still may get denied).

There are more negatives, but you can read through the other posts on this site to learn them. I think what you read on here will probably prepare you for the complaining that goes on in the field. But don't think we are the only agencies with negative issues. I can only recommend you talk to real officers...not recruiters. Recruiters are simply looking for you to sign up and tell you everything you want to hear. Talk to the guy with 5-10 years and see what their thoughts are. That seems to be a good "burned out" time for most people.

I do have positives though (and I write these knowing this site will bash me).

1) Freedom-I can write 1000 tickets a month or 50, I won't hear anything about it. I don't see my supervisor unless we are hanging out.

2) Time off- in my area, I have never been denied time off--but this may not be the case statewide with shortages.

3) Plenty of OT/Hireback- If I want to work 32 + extra hours a week to buy a new toy, the opportunity is there. This is always nice around the holidays. Some departments in NE florida are losing all their OT due to cutbacks (this is not a rumor). Of course, our OT and hirebacks may be cut in the future...but as of now...it is not. So our base pay may not be the best...but there is opportunity to make more if you want.

4) Details: This one will probably get me bashed-but I still enjoy the details. I like to go around the State for hurricanes, races, etc. to get away from the house . It just mixes things up.

5) Take home cars-not a big deal since most agencies allow the same..but it is nice to not have to commute.

6) Good co-workers-I happen to work in an area where Troopers work together. There is little to no "loners" who do their own thing. We hang out when off duty...like a big family. I know for sure that this is not the case in many places around the state within FHP. I am lucky to have people who I can trust working with me.

7) Supervisors-Hard to believe (based on the posts on LEOAFFAIRS) but I have good supervisors that know their job...and how to treat their workers.

I could go on and on, but I would just be opening up myself for more bashing. All I can say is do your homework.
    1) Figure out what type of law enforcement you want to do
    2) Investigate the departments that do the job you want to do.

Don't start sending applications to everyone and join the first that take you. That will just lead to headaches down the road.

Good luck with your future. We can always use another Trooper..but only if you want to be with us.

Re: Thanks alot

Hey guys thanks for the hints, but I think with how our country and it's wacky recession is going paying job is better than no JOB
    If that is the way you want to view the job then have it. I promise you will regret your decision though.

Re: Thanks alot

If that is the way you want to view the job then have it. I promise you will regret your decision though.
    I agree. If you are just looking for a "job", you will not be happy. This line of work requires lifestyle changes. Before getting involved in law enforcement, I enjoyed going out in town and partying. Once you get in this business, especially in small communities, people watch what you do on and off duty...and they love talking about it (and exaggerating). Small towns know who their Troopers in the county are. Major metro areas won't deal with this of course.

However, this is a lifestyle. You either play by the rules or the media will love to print YOUR STORY.

In your case, you are not looking for a job...you are making a career choice. Choose wisely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast