Can someone find out who I am by ISP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Can someone find out who I am by ISP

Possibly, but most likely not without a subpoena.
    In most cases all that can be easily determined is who the person's ISP is and possibly the state and city they reside in.

Can someone find out who I am?

Possibly, but most likely not without a subpoena.
    In most cases all that can be easily determined is who the person's ISP is and possibly the state and city they reside in.

In some cases with static IP address DSL or business DSL services the ISP provides IP allocation records to the American Registry for Internet Numbers (http://www.arin.net), the non-profit organization responsible for managing Internet numbering resources in North America.

As an example SBC used to include customer information in those allocation records, but due to privacy concerns now uses their own information with a customer reference number.

For users who want to afford themselves some additional level of anonymity we suggest you read about internet anonymity, Proxy Servers, and anonymizing services.

Try using this tool to look up your IP address.

How can someone find out who I am?

A little background first.

IP address allocation is handled by The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). IANA in turn, delegate authority to Regional Internet Registries (RIRs). The RIRs, in turn, following their own regional policies, further delegate blocks of IP addresses to their customers, which include Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and end-user organizations.

Each of the RIRs handles a specific geographic area:

ARIN (North America and portions of the Caribbean)
    AfriNIC (Africa)
    APNIC (Asia and the Pacific region)
    LACNIC (Latin America and portions of the Caribbean)
    RIPE (Europe, Middle East, Central Asia)
    Each of these organizations allow lookups to be to that data. Different ISP's segment their blocks of IP addresses by region and you can see that in the lookup. The lookup provides the name and address of the organization the block of IP addresses was allocated to. The ISP's can name these blocks if they choose. The naming often indicates a geographic location, for example, IRV-CA, aka Irvine, California.

Here are links to the URLs where you can lookup an IP address. Be aware that if you lookup an Asian allocated IP address in a different region's RIR it will provide a link to the appropriate RIR.

North America and portions of the Caribbean
    Africa
    Asia and the Pacific region
    Latin America and portions of the Caribbean
    Europe, Middle East, and Central Asia
    In general, I start by looking up an IP address with ARIN seeing what geographic location information I can learn from the results.

From there I do a reverse DNS (rDNS) lookup to see what hostname the ISP provides. A hostname is something like www.example.com, or can be more specific to include regional information. By visiting this page you can see your own rDNS/hostname. (We'll add the functionality to lookup other IP addresses soon.) This, again, can provide some additional geographic location information.

From there I do a traceroute which displays the hostnames many of the machines in between two points on the internet. (I'm making this *really* none technical here...) Sometimes the rDNS/hostname of a specific IP address will not reveal any location but the rDNS/hostname of the machine next along the path will reveal some.

That's about all the information that can be obtained without a subpoena. In many cases people reveal small amounts of personal information about themselves on forums, chat rooms, blogs, etc that can be used to build a profile of who you might be.

Try using this tool to look up your IP address.

So, Sorry Fourth Floor, you may say you know who's writing, but you cant, so stop going around saying you know who. You know who you are.

Re: Can someone find out who I am by ISP

NO!

Read below Florida court cases upholding our First Amendment Right to opine!

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/arti ... ySues.html

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/arti ... fairs.html

The word is traveling that someone is going around saying that they are gettig ISP'S on this page, we must educate that person since they read this. Nice try rat

Some of you guys violate the use of terms here especially with on going investigation that can lead to finding out who you are, something to think about. [/b]

Administrator LEO Affairs Chief MOD 1's Avatar
    This should answer some of your questions.

If you post from a work network or computer you can be identified by your employer. If you post from a work related computer, please expect that you have absolutely no privacy at all. They may or may not be able to telly what you type.

If you register a user name, unless you include any identifying information in the user name, email address, or profile, it is the same as posting anonymously.

The way I look at it, the Terms of Use and moderators are here to protect the posters. By enforcing the Terms of Use and deleting posts which might be considered libelous or defamation of character, the moderators are removing the opportunity for lawsuits to be filed seeking the IP addresses of posters.

No board moderators have access to view IP addresses.
    Only Sysop/Chip, Admin1/Jim, Mod 2 and I have the capability to view IP addresses. Generally the only time we view IP addresses is when a poster is suspected of violating the Terms of Use.

LEO Affairs has never released IP addresses to any one. We have been to court to prevent the release of IP addresses. When the Hillsborough County Sheriff sued John Doe and Jane Doe Deputies for posts on LEO Affairs, he had subpoenas served. LEO Affairs fought these subpoenas and won on the Circuit Court level. The Sheriff appealed and the 2nd DCA upheld the Circuit Court rulings.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Mod 1
    Mod 1

http://WWW.LEOAFFAIRS.COM

Terms Of Use

The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments posted in a
    courthouse is this: You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt
    Not Commit Adultery," and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of
    lawyers, judges and politicians...It creates a hostile work environment.

Thanks for the reply. Now can you do something about the garbage on the city of miami threads. Some of us try to use it for useful information, I know that you only delete violations but, we can all agree that we wont miss the trash talking and inuendos.

First of all, Thanks MOD 1. You got to this one before I did. To answer your question, I am governed by the Terms of Use just as you are. Yes there are many post that belong on a bathroom wall somewhere rather than on this board. I try to visit the board three of four times a day to take care of the trash talk and SLAM post. If I applied my opinion and personal feelings many more post would go in the cyber trash can but again I must go with the Terms of Use to keep you and LEOaffairs protected from libelous and smear post.

Thank you for your interest in cleaning up this board. I must admit it took me by surprise when MOD 1 ask me to take it on. It is getting better now that some of the childish posters have moved on. They know who they are. Your primary goal as a COP is to take care of your family. Your COP family and your loved ones at home. The home family being the most important. I am stopping short of giving an opinion here because when I signed on as a Moderator I agreed to approach this in an unbiased way. All that I can say is Keep your focus and your powder dry.

Any chance of banning the looser who keeps trashing the X girlfriend and his replacement? This guy is on the express train to bakerville.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast