CO Raped and Killed by Inmate

DAYTONA BEACH - Authorities say an inmate raped and murdered a female corrections officer at a Daytona Beach prison.

The Department of Corrections reports that Enoch Hall attacked Officer Donna Fitzgerald Wednesday night while she was on duty at the Tomoka Correctional Institution. The Port Orange woman had worked at the prison for 13 years.

State prison records show that Enoch is already serving two life sentences for sexual battery with a weapon and kidnapping convictions from a 1993 case.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the attack. No charges have been filed.
    Source

Re: CO Raped and Killed by Inmate

So sad! My heart goes out to her family. There are those who will say that she was to complacent! What a load of bull! With all the cuts in departments we are forced to work in dangerous conditions! I only hope her department does right by her family!

I spent 21 years in corrections most of which was with the State of Florida. I have to say the comment about the cuts is ture but only the begining. I watched the decline in Fl DOC (actully DC but most think it is the other way.) over the last 10 years. Not paying staff is the root of most of the internal problems. I left after almost 2 decades as a supervisor and got a raise by going to county. If you can't pay your staff, why stay? You take pay them you get quality staff that are willing to make a caree out if it. You will not have the turn over rate that creates a even more dangerous environment than it has to be. I still feel for my brothers and sisters that have to endure. Even with this kind of tragedy corrections does not get the respect. I am now on the road and had to listen to a fellow patrol officer talk about this incident and continue to call her "gaurd" until I had no choice but to inform him as to how that is an insult to us. Life is tough, the job sucks, no respect, and then some dirtbag hurts someone trying to make a living and support a family. The state needs to wake up and realize they have added fuel to an already dangerous fire in doing this kind of work.
    RIP fallen family member, you will be missed.

Women in corrections, always travel in pairs!