Coming to Alaska

Coming to Alaska

How many officers does the Anchorage PD have?? I wil be there June 30 would like to meet some of the officers. I am a 26 year Florida Trooper coming to visit an ole high school firend who lives in Eagle river. May I can bring some patches or something.

APD has about 360 sworn officers and about 560 total employees. Stop by APD and ask for public affairs to make contact when you get in town. I would meet with you, but I am out of town until after July 4th.

Re: Coming to Alaska

im a Florida cop as well, looking to get far away from here. how is cost of living up there?

Cost of living is a little higher here than other places. It is far from being the most expensive place to live. Things you have to take in consideration is there is no sales tax in Anchorage and there is no state income tax. In fact, we received $3200 dividend from the State this year from our Permanent fund (Alaska's savings account). Gas is currently 4.03 a gallon for unleaded. The average house is around $220,000. Food, dairy and clothing is a bit higher here. Wages for Public Safety are pretty good. See some of the other posts for details.

As long as you dont get Hurricanes. Putting up shutters and taking them down every month is getting old. Keep Miami, ill fight with bears and cold weather.

Hey the previous posts are 5 years old. We're high-tailing it out of Florida and looking for adventure. As a PO what are some things needed to take into consideration ie; taxes, cost of living, weather, crime anything that can help us. Furthermore, how's the morale in the dept. EVERYONE is disgruntled here in Florida!

Just like Turkana, my family and I are making plans and checking our list TWICE. We're sick and tired of Florida and I in particular of the lack morale in all the police depts. Can anyone update these postings with info such as Pension, Lateral requirements, the Pros & Cons of APD and ANY helpful information about the dept and the state! And could a rumor be disspelled or verified...that the state pays Alaskan state residents some sort of yearly amount for being residents? Sounds absurd but I've heard that a few times.

Alaska has closed it's borders and no longer allows residents of the lower 48 to immigrate. Sorry but you'll have to stay in Florida or one of the contigous lower 48 states.

Lived in Alaska and somewhat familiar with APD, beautiful State and a good Department with great people. If Retirement benefits are important to you, those interested in employment should know the difference between a Defined Benefit Plan and a Defined Contribution Plan. Many Departments have a Defined Benefit Plan, meaning a set amount for life after retirement based on years worked and salary. Various agencies have different multiplers to attain the percentage of retirement pay, example: 3% (multiplier) per year = 60% of salary after 20 years of service. APD was previously under PERS with a Defined Benefit Plan however it was changed to a Defined Contribution Plan for new employees, meaning a stipend or Contribution is provided for your retirement investment with no guaranteed lifetime amount. If this is a deal breaker, check with APD to confirm it is still in effect. There is/was an effort to return to a Defined Benefit Plan. The pay is above average, benefits are competitive compared to the Southeast US. Overtime is based on seniority, Union memebership is mandatory and APD responds to medical calls, again this may be different in your State.
    Reference the annual amount each Alaskan receives it is called the PFD and the amount changes. This year’s (2013) Alaska Permanent Fund dividend (PFD) payout is $900. The dividend will be distributed to eligible Alaska residents beginning Oct. 3. Use your search engine for additional information on the Alaskan PFD.
    When in Anchorage, arrange to do a ride along with APD. Hope this information helps your relocation decision.

Reference obtaining potential employment information, found this article from Nov 2013:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/2 ... -get-worse