FHP regional duty officer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Do FHP dispatcher get CAD? If so which counties get it? And how much. I saw your troopers get it in swfl.

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by guest007
    I've been here for 5years. Never worked for an SO, but thats b/c i don't want to answer 911. In downtime you can read and use your own laptop They only allow 1 person per shift off at a time on leave. turn over is now higher than any other place atleast 1 person out of every group hired does quit, but its mostly people that don't understand the job.
    We dispatch for DOT,DEP,FDLE,Agriculture, Insurance Fraud, Medicare Fraud and ABT. you really only hear from FHP, DOT, DEP, and ABT besides the others just loggin on.

IF the Communications Center you are applying to work for is in Jacksonville... you are NOT allowed the use of your own laptop in the dispatch center.. it's not allowed. Captain Gaston runs a tight ship... tight but fair.

Re: FHP regional duty officer

Quote Originally Posted by vtown
    What is the hiring process for Regional Duty officers (dispatchers). i.e Poly/pysch/oral, etc.

And do they work 8 or 12 hour shifts? Do they get alot of O.T?

thanks
    6:15 am to 2:15 pm / 2:15 pm to 10:15 pm and 10:15 pm to 6:15 am.
    Your days off will change every 28 days. Mon/Tue - Wed/Thu and Sat/Sun

There is no poly or psych. This is the reason why we have so many flaky people.

The pay is not as good as it seems. In Miami it starts at $32,168. Lake Worth $30,908. And the rest of the state $29,640.00
    No sworn or non-sworn employees for the state have gotten a raise in almost 5 years.
    Every time there are budget issues they start thinking of lay offs and pay cuts. But this year
    we got saved. No pay cuts no lay offs. http://www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/Career/DutyOffDLExam.htm

Now as far as the work you do. We only dispatch accidents. All the calls we get are traffic related. Accidents, debris on the roadway, disabled vehicles, road rage etc... We sometimes get other calls like theft from construction sites, robberies, domestic violence in motor vehicles etc...

We are a little laid back. You can study if you go to college they let you read your text books and perhaps use the computer to do an essay etc... Management is alright but sometimes they can be a little anal about things. Like in all other industries there is always the boss that has to be an A$$ HOLE and throw his/her weight around making sure you know he/she is the boss.

But over all it's alright. It's a job and if you play your cards right you will fit in.

By the way there are 7 communications centers in Florida. Miami, Ft. Myers, Lake Worth, Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville and Tallahassee. There are rumors of making one large communications center most probably Orlando and closing the other six. This means that if you are not already in Orlando, you either move to Orlando to keep your job or find another job.

You also get insurance, FRS retirement etc... These are the good and the bad things about FHP Dispatch.

Besides FHP, you will dispatch for all state law enforcement agencies except Fish and Wildlife Commission. (FWC).

As far as being an FHP Duty Officer I have worked in two seperate locations. The first one was awesome and I miss everyone including the troopers. The second center they were all a bunch of backstabbing whinning a$$ people. The troopers absolutely hated you because you were not in thier county so they thought you were a total moron even if you knew the area. They have started monitoring your phone calls and if you are on the phone for more then 3 mins you get written up (even if its a trooper). They have even written people up who was helping a trooper and the last part of the conversation he asked if everyone in her family was doing good. The response was yea doing good and then stated she would talk later after work.

In one call center the dispatchers were more worried about being badge bunnies that they are not allowed to call the troopers on the phone if they have a simple question a supervisor has to call.

I have since moved on to an SO and love it. We work 12 hr shifts and the way your time falls every other week you only work Wed and 4 hours on Thursday. This is awesome because if you want a week off for vacation you can take 16 hours off instead of a full 40.

Hope your experience is a lot better then mine. I have to say if anything happened and I lost my job I would have to move back to where I first started with FHP because that is the only facililty I would want to work for!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest 252
    As far as being an FHP Duty Officer I have worked in two seperate locations. The first one was awesome and I miss everyone including the troopers. The second center they were all a bunch of backstabbing whinning a$$ people. The troopers absolutely hated you because you were not in thier county so they thought you were a total moron even if you knew the area. They have started monitoring your phone calls and if you are on the phone for more then 3 mins you get written up (even if its a trooper). They have even written people up who was helping a trooper and the last part of the conversation he asked if everyone in her family was doing good. The response was yea doing good and then stated she would talk later after work.

In one call center the dispatchers were more worried about being badge bunnies that they are not allowed to call the troopers on the phone if they have a simple question a supervisor has to call.

I have since moved on to an SO and love it. We work 12 hr shifts and the way your time falls every other week you only work Wed and 4 hours on Thursday. This is awesome because if you want a week off for vacation you can take 16 hours off instead of a full 40.

Hope your experience is a lot better then mine. I have to say if anything happened and I lost my job I would have to move back to where I first started with FHP because that is the only facililty I would want to work for!
    SOUNDS LIKE YOU WORK FOR TROOP E MRCC!!! LOL

what is the pay schedule like, are you all on biweekly, monthly,etc?

MONTHLY! IT SUCKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vtown
    What is the hiring process for Regional Duty officers (dispatchers). i.e Poly/pysch/oral, etc.

And do they work 8 or 12 hour shifts? Do they get alot of O.T?

thanks
    6:15 am to 2:15 pm / 2:15 pm to 10:15 pm and 10:15 pm to 6:15 am.
    Your days off will change every 28 days. Mon/Tue - Wed/Thu and Sat/Sun

There is no poly or psych. This is the reason why we have so many flaky people.
    Is it true that you gals have the gift that keeps on giving? The herp

Why not do 12 hour shifts? Isn't it harder to staff 8 hour shifts? Heck university dispatchers do 12 hour shifts...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast