FHP regional duty officer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FHP regional duty officer

What is the hiring process for Regional Duty officers (dispatchers). i.e Poly/pysch/oral, etc.

And do they work 8 or 12 hour shifts? Do they get alot of O.T?

thanks

in ftmyers we have permament shifts Days 645 to 245 Eve 245 to 1045pm and mids 1045pm to 645am most openings are on the eve shift. No polygraph just math test, typing test, radio test and spelling test. Once they decide to hire you then they do background and drug test. Which you should know within a month if you got the job.

Quote Originally Posted by GUESTX37
    in ftmyers we have permament shifts Days 645 to 245 Eve 245 to 1045pm and mids 1045pm to 645am most openings are on the eve shift. No polygraph just math test, typing test, radio test and spelling test. Once they decide to hire you then they do background and drug test. Which you should know within a month if you got the job.
    How do you like working there? Ever worked for an SO?
    Can you use your personal laptops/Internet during down time, or read?
    How are they about approving time off? Is the turn over very high for fhp dispatch?
    What other agencies does the comm center dispatch for?
    I'm trying to compare the 2, And I'm looking at applying to lee county posting i saw.

I've been here for 5years. Never worked for an SO, but thats b/c i don't want to answer 911. In downtime you can read and use your own laptop They only allow 1 person per shift off at a time on leave. turn over is now higher than any other place atleast 1 person out of every group hired does quit, but its mostly people that don't understand the job.
    We dispatch for DOT,DEP,FDLE,Agriculture, Insurance Fraud, Medicare Fraud and ABT. you really only hear from FHP, DOT, DEP, and ABT besides the others just loggin on.

Quote Originally Posted by guest007
    I've been here for 5years. Never worked for an SO, but thats b/c i don't want to answer 911. In downtime you can read and use your own laptop They only allow 1 person per shift off at a time on leave. turn over is now higher than any other place atleast 1 person out of every group hired does quit, but its mostly people that don't understand the job.
    We dispatch for DOT,DEP,FDLE,Agriculture, Insurance Fraud, Medicare Fraud and ABT. you really only hear from FHP, DOT, DEP, and ABT besides the others just loggin on.
    Are you on a biweekly or monthly pay cycle. And how does the monthly pay cycle work 160 hours? I heard through the grape vine, that your overtime checks are paid biweekly? Or is overtime lumped into the monthly check. Again this is just rumored.
    Also for lunch I assume there is no scheduled break, but can you have food delivered or ever send any one out to get stuff?
    thank you

we get paid monthly its always the last working day of the month it fluctuates each month as for overtime pay its really a guessing game sometimes they pay it twice in a month sometimes just once a month but you can check it all the time online.
    Lunch you can have delivered depending on which shift you are on depends on if someone can go get food or not all depends on the supervisor.

Are the dispatchers getting the 5% raise like the troopers?
    And your overtime shifts are the full 8hrs, makin it 16hr days?
    Is it pretty easy to get 3-4 OT shifts a month.

No 5% for us and I'm probably speaking for all of us when I say we don't want to hear about it anymore!
    OT can be split into 4 hour groups but supervisors give preference to people who work all 8 hours.
    Depends on where you work, I'm sure but OT is abundant where I am. Someone is always sick or in the middle of a crisis or wants the weekend off. As for getting 3-4 OT shifts a month it kind of depends on who the supv is and how much they like you.

Quote Originally Posted by x37
    No 5% for us and I'm probably speaking for all of us when I say we don't want to hear about it anymore!
    OT can be split into 4 hour groups but supervisors give preference to people who work all 8 hours.
    Depends on where you work, I'm sure but OT is abundant where I am. Someone is always sick or in the middle of a crisis or wants the weekend off. As for getting 3-4 OT shifts a month it kind of depends on who the supv is and how much they like you.
    I applied for the lee county posting, but havent heard anything. Have they started the testing or do you know when they are going to start it?
    thank you.

Lee County SO

I have worked for LCSO for over a year now - came from another agency with several years exp. I love it here, 12 hour shifts, pretty easy to get vacation time, plenty of OT if you want it. (Have never been mandated overtime since I have been here) You start in 911 calltaking and move to dispatch if you are so inclined.

The training is top notch, and the benefits are the best in the area. There are always going to be problems at any center from time to time. If you keep to your training and being the best you can be, you will have no problems.

If public safety is where you want a career, then the SO is the place to be. I just wish I had started my career here instead of wasting my time elsewhere...

Good Luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast