DISPATCH
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DISPATCH

DISPATCH

"Unit calling can you repeat I was sending out Parking services for a vehicle boot , oh wait hold on ...sorry AB is calling in on their lot checks ... I'll get back to you"

The email the Lt. put out made a lot of sense and over all is a good thing. We are finally getting away from the weird thing of standing behind your patrol vehicle to conduct your traffic stop and complete need paperwork, which was very unorthodox anyways.

My question is, will dispatch be paying attention to the person on a traffic stop, especially if there are multiple traffic stops going on at once, or will they be multitasking or doing other things when you need their attention?

You don't sit inside your car to write tix, do you?

10-24, 10-46, 10-94, 10-35, all put on hold because we don’t have funds, or any common sense coming from dispatch. They can’t even, well at least not on days even get simple stuff done 100% correct most of the times.

Now patrol is put aside and our safety might be put in jeopardy. Great. Where is the SOP or training protocol for the officers on this topic?

Sure we can run our own stuff but in order for dispatch to attach it to the call as the LT’s email states, dispatch is going to have to run it anyways.

I don’t even want to get into the total debacle that this will become. I just hope someone doesn’t have to get hurt as a result.

You don't sit inside your car to write tix, do you?
    Do any officers in this area or anywhere, stand outside their car to write a "Tix"? The answer is No.

I wasn't taught that way a long time ago, but I see most guys sit in their cars today. Have been for many years. I don't think it's safe at all. I'll continue standing outside my car to write tickets. If you want to be a sitting duck inside your car, with your head buried on your chest writing, have at it.

Dispatchers will have their attention diverted between the parking services people and the A/B pain in the butts.

This is one of the many pea brained Benson Pipe dreams that has now become a reality all to save a buck and increase the possibility of one of us getting hurt.

Posted: 06/10/08 22:18:13 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I wasn't taught that way a long time ago, but I see most guys sit in their cars today. Have been for many years. I don't think it's safe at all. I'll continue standing outside my car to write tickets. If you want to be a sitting duck inside your car, with your head buried on your chest writing, have at it.
    [quote:3od4ndkt]
    Taught that way a long time ago? Your long time ago was when? Your few years at USF PD? No where have I ever seen that officers stand outside their car while writing a Ticket besides at USF. Sitting behind your car with your head burried? You can keep your head burried outside the car too, right?

So you stand outside your car and are blinded by the strobes while writing your tickets. At least in your car you have good vision and can duck down, and put your car in drive and get the hell out of there if something goes wrong, with an engine block to protect you. If are pulled up right behind the car which I hear is taught there by all the rookie FTO's, then you have no reaction time. In the worst case scenerio the driver or passenger jumps out with a gun, you drive out.

Standing outside your vehicle/protection, you have no where to go, but to dodge around the car and the blinding strobe lights. More practice should be taught on how to draw and shoot while sitting in the vehicle in my opinion.[/quote:3od4ndkt]

This is not just a traffic stop issue folks. It’s much more involved. You need backup. Someone is running from you. Someone just assaulted you. You see a crime in progress and you need to get information to dispatch. Dispatch misses a BOLO because they are too distracted dealing with the bovine fecal matter from parking and A/B. Someone who just got fired is going nuts and a 911 call comes in but our 1 dispatcher is busy with everything else.

Having a centralized dispatch center is a great idea for the quick gathering or passing along of pertinent information regarding “incident” on campus. It alleviates the need for things like, “can you call parking, grounds, A/B and let them know….., or if parking or A/B sees something and the “incident” is then delayed by calling their dispatch who then in turn calls the UP dispatch” However, if this plan is to work efficiently and safely, you need at least one dispatcher per division in the comm center that is only equipped to handle a maximum of 2 dispatchers. The UP’s dispatch is not by in large busy by itself but during an “incident” working alone in that room can be overwhelming. This is our safety and the community’s safety. This is not a matter that any officer should take lightly. If our one dispatcher is distracted for even 5 seconds when an officer calls for backup or whatever and dispatch misses it because they are on the phone with an irate parking patron, parking patroller, or A/B person our safety is potentially in jeopardy. I am appalled that this plan was put into affect before the appropriate personnel were in place. At a minimum there should be at least 3 dispatchers working to handle this workload. All should be cross-trained on each other’s responsibilities. Then and only then should this plan have been put in place. I urge everyone to keep a log of events that happen to them in which this centralized dispatch theme results in a shortcoming to the officer’s safety, the community’s safety, or anything that they feel hindered our ability to carry out proper law enforcement. We all know what happens when dispatch concerns are brought forward. Have your examples ready folks. For this plan to be but into affect before the room is properly trained and staffed is NEGLIGENCE! on behalf of the University.

It's going to be a mess at best. Do we finally get a portion of the huge Parking Services revinue for handling any of this? Or is it a dry pipeline like the one from Iraq? There are some geniuses running these operations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast