DO AWAY WITH TAKE HOME VEHICLES? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Southern Police Institute wrote:
    There is a reason why certified public accounts are in charge of the books. It's to keep you from screwing them up.

Who is in charge of the books at SSO? The CPA (accountant, not accounts) quit. What public finance qualifications and certifications are held by the person or persons who finalized and who administer an annual budget of over $86 million? An MBA in Public Finance from Wharton or Harvard? How many years of experience held as Chief Financial Officer or a rank of similar capacity overseeing a multi-million dollar enterprise funded by the public?

The Sheriff's 2009 proposed budget allows for replacement of 43 high-mileage vehicles at a cost of $988,320. Starting pay for Deputies is proposed at $41,600. Sgt. pay is boosted 20%, to $60,000 starting pay. There would only be 11 Captains instead of the 12 in this year's budget, but their starting pay would be greater than their max pay in this year's budget. Raises are budgeted for everyone except Car1, who would take a 1.3% cut.
    The Sheriff being a Consitutiuonal Officer of the State of Florida is not paid by the county but the state based on population of each county. Does anyone know the pay scale for Florida Sheriffs?

The pay scale for Florida Sheriff's varies from county to county. It is based upon the population of their respective counties.

It changes annually.

I am all for parking my car at my district HQ. The same citizens that would suffer from the parked cars are the same idiots that voted amendment 1 into effect. I saved a whopping $85 in that sweet deal, meanwhile every agency I know of is in the crapper.

When a hurricane hits (cant wait for the OT) we will have someone to talk to while working our butts off. We will have a Deputy or two in the passengers seats of our pool cars. The only downside to that would be Archie riding shotgun after he's eaten!

In reference to the above posters. The solution t the car you are waiting on getting a late call would be to have a few extra pool cars at the shop. Only problem is if the late call is a righteous cluster, then we are watching tv with the desk officer. Who cares, as long as we are getting paid.

If it happens I would greatly reduce the amount of crap I carry, and my effectiveness, to what I could fit into a duffel bag. A couple of metal books, my GPS, my back scratcher, movies and I'm "skrait".

I am from another SO. We currently have a take home car policy. Off duty use was recently restricted to basically going to and from work. This hasn't bothered me, since I never really drove it much off duty anyways.

If my SO implements a pay to take it home deal, I'll park it at the closest Office and buy a beater car that gets good gas milage and I can use off duty w/o worry of being in the "fish bowl" or having to respond.

If they decide to take away the take home car and go to a hot swap, so be it. I'll evaluate the situation and take appropriate action (either a beater car or employment elsewhere).

Oh yeah... good luck on me responding in a timely fashion to an ALL available hands call out, as I will have no patrol car to respond code in until I get to it......

Big thanks to the Gov and the citizens for Ammendment One (sarcasism heavily emphasized)!!!!!!

I have an idea, for all those that ***** about a take home car, turn it in or park it at a fire station. For the citizen that's *****ing, when you get to your cubicle at work, change daily with someone, and don't leave anything behind so you too can understand what it's like to share an office with everyone. Oh yea make sure it's clean before you leave because you don't get overtime to clean.

This is what I will do to your pool car! Then I will wash it and turn it back over to your for the begining of your shift. Goood luck making it to the next call for help from a needy citizen.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cq27hMzqGng

Why doesn't Charlie Crist strap on a belt and hit foot patrol??? He came up with this bright idea. That show that does "30-days" in someone else's shoes... He should walk in ours (PD,FD,EMS) and see how he has driven this State into the current situation, which is only getting worse. But the good citizen's saved $250, so.. if the burglar breaks in and rapes Mommy and slaughters the kids... I got a few happy meals from my buddy Crist.. WAY TO GO LOSER!!!

Crist would only run and hide. When asked what suggestions or plans he had to assist the citizens of Florida who are being severly impacted by the rising fuel prices (such as the elderly or disabled on fixed incomes who struggle to put gas in their cars to go to the doctor or for therapy) the reply was only that the citizens of Florida should turn to alternative forms of transportation and that he suggested they buy bicycles for transportation. He then was whisked away by his staff. Most of the elderly and disabled could not ride a bicycle. How would a Florida citizen who works until 11PM be able to ride a bicycle for the ten mile trip from their workplace to home? He (Crist) is very self-serving and really doesn't embody the image of a public servant.

The SSO proposed budget will go in front of the BCC on Friday. Little blurb in the Herald-Tribune today, as well as memo to the BCC revealed that Balkwill's budget didn't take into account any increase in fuel prices from the last budget that was prepared in the spring of 2007. Now - duh - there may be as much as a $2 million shortfall in the SSO 2009 budget before it's even adopted. Who is in charge of the SSO budget prep - a monkey?

When do we get to see the 2009 budget? Is everyone getting a raise or just the sworn? I'd like to see the civilians get the same 6% bump that the Deps were rhumored to have gotten in the past.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123