Special Treatment...

Special Treatment...

It has occured to me that there are inequities within our local law enforcement that go unnoticed. Please let it be first be understood that I believe that the majority of our law enforcement officers are outstanding, dedicated, hard-working members of our comminuty that deserve respect and admiration for the job that they do. But why is it that when members of law enforcement break the law, they get a slap on the wrist? An opportunity to resign and quietly slip back into civilian life without the repercussions we would face having broken the same law???Is it a matter of the law enforcement community saving face? I am just curious as to why the laws that are in place for the rest of us do not apply to those who are paid to enforce it. Please keep in mind that I am not a bitter ex-convict either, I have NEVER been arrested in my life and don't plan on it, but why are they spared the embarrassment of having their names printed in the local papers booking desk section and spending the night in jail, why should they not suffer the same consequences for their actions as we do? Am I the only one who feels this way? Well, unlike us, there is no record of their wrong doing that you can look up at the local courthouse, but I can tell you for a fact that there have been employees of the sheriff and police department that have committed crimes and were simply "let go" with no other form of punishment, and I believe this is highly unfair. If one of the candidates for Sheriff would address this issue and how they plan to resolve it they would definitely have my vote! As for the current Sheriff, I'd like to hear his excuse!

you're an idiot and you don't know what your talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by guest33
    you're an idiot and you don't know what your talking about.
    wow, seems i have offended you. you must be one of them. should i post a list of names? please enlighten this idiot, since you claim i don't know what i'm talking about.

you don't know what your talking about. People in law enforcement get just as a severe punishment as everyone else that commits a crime. I guess you don't know much about the criminal justice system here in America but everyone gets a slap on the wrist these days cuse they want the money from probation and the jails are overcrowded. You just think they slip away into the night because the news doesn't talk about their punishment. Law Enforcement gets the same punishment as everyone else, possibly more since it is aired all over the news all over the nation when a law enforcement officer screws up. And no I am not one of them so I don't care if you list names. I am not even a cop in your area just read the post. You need to do some research before you make ignorant statements to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    you don't know what your talking about. People in law enforcement get just as a severe punishment as everyone else that commits a crime. I guess you don't know much about the criminal justice system here in America but everyone gets a slap on the wrist these days cuse they want the money from probation and the jails are overcrowded. You just think they slip away into the night because the news doesn't talk about their punishment. Law Enforcement gets the same punishment as everyone else, possibly more since it is aired all over the news all over the nation when a law enforcement officer screws up. And no I am not one of them so I don't care if you list names. I am not even a cop in your area just read the post. You need to do some research before you make ignorant statements to people.
    I appreciate your response, and I agree with you your point that across the nation officers are highly scrutinized on the news daily, especially when they break the law, however, you do not live in my area and things are VERY different here. I was never suggesting that this occurs anywhere outside of my community, to comment outside of what I know would be very naive. I also agree with you on the point you made that our jails are overcrowded and the justice system views probation as an easier and more profitable solution to the problem. However, it is pointless and absurd for you to refer to my statements as 'ignorant' when you yourself can't possibly know what goes on in this town. Please know I respect and admire law enforcement as a whole and it would not be prudent to name names here, I'm not a person who enjoys creating conflict. It was an issue that has occupied my thoughts and I was curious as to how others in my community felt about it. Thank you for your thoughts, I have enjoyed our little debate.