US Police Officer refused entry at border

US Police Officer refused entry at border

I am very frustrated at the moment. Just recently, I was refused entry at a Canadian border because I was with a friend that just recently had a DUI (3 years ago). As I now understand, Canada sometimes refuses entry to Americans with a DUI, but alot of times a discretionary entry is granted. The customs officer was very cold and didn't even care that I was an officer. I assured him that our intentions were good (showed hotel and tour paperwork), and it still didn't matter. What gives, this ruined a great vacation?

Re: US Police Officer refused entry at border

As a US Police Officer I have found RCMP at the border to be the same way... They really could care less that you are a US Police Officer - in fact, at times, I think that you get treated worse because you are one. I try to keep that fact unknown until they ask.

However, as for your friend with the DUI - I am surprised you didn't get referred to pay the extortion fee, I mean, entry fee, that you can pay to get in with a DUI... That information is clearly posted on the RCMP website... Money seems to get you past the regulations. You can bring certain guns in, if I pay a fee - otherwise you can't.

Sorry it wrecked a good vacation - but now you know. No professional courtesy extended.