Another detention officer taints our department

Another detention officer taints our department

What possesses someone to risk their job and put their family thru hell to make a few bucks? We should take pride in our job and not give in to the temptations that these scumbags in jail present to us. We may not be law officers, but we play a big role in keeping the community safe by keeping the criminals locked up. Any comments????

Surprised?

So, the department has lousy hiring practices, lousy pay (for workers) (the admin people make plenty of $), an admin run by the good ol boy network who cares only about themselves, no proper checks and balances, and most everyone is treated terrible and you are surprised?

The only real surprise is that people put up with it, over and over and over again.

Re: Another detention officer taints our department

Getting into an ethical delima can ruin the repetation of that individual and that department. When individuals get "busted" it can and will reflect negative on the department. If you choose to be in govenrment / public service, you are expected to act with dignity and respect at all times. If you are not mature or strong enough to do this, than do us all a favor by getting another job. Folks, we are in a serious line of business in which people look up to us. We should act like professionals 24/7/365! Unfortunetly, we have had several people of various longivity and positions that have given themselves and the department a black eye over there lack of professional conduct. We cannot act like the individuals that we arrest or we are no different from them. Rather you like it our not, we are held to a higher standard than civilians. If you do not like that or cannot handle the responsibility, it is time for you to go! Please think about this the next time that you are on or off duty and remember "perception is everything"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well

I completly agree that all officers should be held to a higher standard than civilains. Heres my problem and it starts with the name of this thread "another detention officer"
    There as been members of patrol that has stained this dept also.
    Whether anyone wants to actually admit it or not Patrol officers look down on Detention Officers. They dont wear tan and green and don't carry a gun so they can't be as important right?
    Wrong! They are just as important. Always in constant danger dealing with what patrol drops off.
    They should be held to a higher standard just like Patrol officers, but not only when they do wrong. They should be held in higher regard also.
    Did anyone think that maybe just maybe if Detention officers got the same respect that Patrol gives to one another that they would not have near the amount of turn over that they do?
    Not saying what this thread was about wouldn't have happened anyway, it would have and im certainly not blaming patrol for that morons actions.

But just want to give food for thought for all those patrol officers that started at the jail as detention officers. Just stop and think, how it made you feel when patrol talked down to you.

I agree with you that our Detention Officers are awesome and are often over looked for their outstanding performance! Everybody from the top down is vital to our departments sucess! Nobody is more important that than anybody else. If it was not for the Detention Officers and the Deputies, the department would not function (I know that the Sheriff agrees with this statement). That is why when a lietenant in CID or a Detention Officer allows themselfs to get into an ethical delima, it reflects badly on all of us. If you need proof, search http://www.tricities.com for the news reports on both and read the citizen comments on all of us. To say the least, you will not be impressed. Is it fair, NO, is it perception, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! The vast majority of us are true professionals. If you suspect that somebody is not, report their activities to a supervisor before we all suffer another balck eye!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: well

First let me say that you are partially right.Some patrol officers appear to look down on detention officers, of course these are the same patrol officers who have http://NO real idea what it's like t...ention officer. They have to be educated. Second not ALL officers look down on detention officers, the majority of us came up through the ranks beginning at the detention center. I for one began in the halls and isolated pods of the Washington County Detention Center. I held Myselfto a higher standard than the civilians who work anywhere else, because I aspired to become a sworn and bonded officer at some point in my career. To say that a detention officer turned to violating policies, procedures and criminal law because he was talked down to by patrol officers is a ridiculous statement. The detention officers who have violated policies, procedures and laws in the past are just like the patrol officers, cid investigators, administrative personel and anyone else who did the same, they made the choice because they thought they were above the law, that they wouldn't get caught, or they believed if they were caught they would be slapped on the wrist and return to work. Well boys and girls we are all in a grown up world, and are considered professionals. Don't try to blame anyone else for the short comings of a "dirty" cop, an outcast of our profession. THEY made their own choice based on their preceptions and their life experiences and they will have to reap the harvest of what they sowed. Ifyou do the crime YOU do the time. NOONE else! Patrol didn't make them do it, CID didn't make them do it, the Sheriff didn't conduct a Witch hunt to make them look guilty they did that all on their own.I have worked most all divisions here and I can tell you that whereever I went I took my morals, integrity, professionalism, honor with me.

I totally agree with you dirty sanchez. We all make our own choices. We cannot blame it on how others may treat us. I have found that I get respect from everyone because I show them respect. Even those who moved out of the jail or never had to work there. I just find it humerous that I know more about there job than they do and it helps get me through the day. I am a very happy detention officer, but if I chose to be "dirty" and betray the dept. it wouldn't be anybody's fault but mine.