Why - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why

Re: drug arrest issues

Quote Originally Posted by guest 2
    If you knew how the UCR arrest reports were actually compiled and reported then you would not be making these comments.

The discrepancy that you have so skillfully pointed out if you care to have it explained. Just read the UCR submission guidelines. Not every drug arrest gets reported, only the more serious crime in the series of charges. So let’s say we arrest a person with drugs and a stolen gun.. then the stolen gun takes the trump card over the drugs and it is not reported as a drug arrest.

Lets just think about that before you run a smear campaign. PP
    These are still the numbers as reported to FDLE. How could there be that big of a difference? Can you provide different numbers? Plus it's not a smear campaign. I'm just posting the numbers and asking for someone that is informed to explain the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by guest 2
    If you knew how the UCR arrest reports were actually compiled and reported then you would not be making these comments.

The discrepancy that you have so skillfully pointed out if you care to have it explained. Just read the UCR submission guidelines. Not every drug arrest gets reported, only the more serious crime in the series of charges. So let’s say we arrest a person with drugs and a stolen gun.. then the stolen gun takes the trump card over the drugs and it is not reported as a drug arrest.

Just for fun let's look at 2006 since it shows 12 Drug Arrests. The UCR also shows the following Arrests:

Total Arrests 664

Robbery 1

Aggravated Assault 49

Burglary 22

Larceny 5

Motor Veh Theft 4

Kidnap/Abduction 1

Simple Assault 39

Drug Arrests 12

Fraud 75

Counterfeit/Forgery 4

Intimidation 9

Non-Forcible Sex 6

Stolen Property 0

DUI 56

Destruction/Vandalism 2

Weapons Violations 0

Misc. 379

I didn't include all of the categories that had zeros in it. I figured that the Weapons Violations one and Stolen property really stood out after your argument. Actually, I didn't even review that part of the UCR until I was just sitting here looking at it to type it here.

So, where under your argument are the Drug Arrests for 2006 hidden in under the More Serious Charges?

To Curious One

Why don't you call Mike or Vern, I'm sure they would give you a straight answer if you asked. There must be some answer for these numbers.

[quote=Curious One]
    Quote Originally Posted by "guest 2":1iq1xtjz

Just for fun let's look at 2006 since it shows 12 Drug Arrests. The UCR also shows the following Arrests:

Total Arrests 664

Robbery 1

Aggravated Assault 49

Burglary 22

Larceny 5

Motor Veh Theft 4

Kidnap/Abduction 1

Simple Assault 39

Drug Arrests 12

Fraud 75

Counterfeit/Forgery 4

Intimidation 9

Non-Forcible sex 6

Stolen Property 0

DUI 56

Destruction/Vandalism 2

Weapons Violations 0

Misc. 379

I didn't include all of the categories that had zeros in it. I figured that the Weapons Violations one and Stolen property really stood out after your argument. Actually, I didn't even review that part of the UCR until I was just sitting here looking at it to type it here.

So, where under your argument are the Drug Arrests for 2006 hidden in under the More Serious Charges?[/quote:1iq1xtjz]

I'm still waiting for your factual numbers to show me something different. You made your argument, be it weakly. I returned with a challenge to back it up with numbers, and went further and presented factual numbers to counter your argument.

What's the matter, don't know what to say now? If I were you, I probably wouldn't have anything to say at this point either.

I have 17 reported drug arrests for 2007, including 9 busts for possession of cocaine. There is probably more. I do my best. I am not Superman. But I do I what I can.

UCR

The reason for the major difference in the UCR reportable drug arrests are as follows.
    For years there were standardized UCR codes for almost every reportable arrest. These codes are no longer utilized by Florida UCR staff. This leaves all software vendors that provide software to agencies in the state of Florida to come up with their own coding scheme.

In 2005 the records management system was upgraded to combine data for both agencies so that officers in the field were able to access much needed arrest, report and CAD information on one terminal instead of having to maintain multiple terminals to accomplish accessing data. This was also the beginning phases of pushing more data to the officers in the field over a broader band data delivery method.

During this upgrade, the new UCR coding scheme was overlooked and the Drug arrest codes, along with many others were overlooked. These codes were not converted to the new scheme. This caused the reportable arrest codes to not be complied and displayed properly.

This error made it appear that there was a major reduction in crime. The total number of arrests appears to be valid, but the itemized reportable arrests were not delineated and were not properly reported.

This problem was not isolated to the Taylor County Sheriff’s Office and the Perry Police Department. Other agencies that were “UPGRADED” during this time also had the same problems. Once this was brought to the attention of the software company, it was corrected. The problem is that UCR Stats are Historical documents and once submitted they cannot be changed. So the agencies are stuck with the incorrect historical data.

Basically I said that the arrests for the years 2005, 2006 and part of 2007 were reported incorrectly by no fault of either agency.

So basically what you are saying that it was a computer glitch. That no one noticed in July 2005 when they submitted the Semi-Annual Report. Then no one noticed in January of 2006 when the submitted the 2005 Annual Report.

Then again, no noticed when they submitted when they submitted the 2006 Semi-Annual Report. Yet again a fourth time it went unnoticed when they submitted the 2006 Annual Report.

Am I to believe that at the Perry Police Dept, that for 2 and 1/2 years every 6 months UCR Reports were being submitted with grossly misreported numbers and no one noticed?

What about the other poster who signed their post, PP, who stated that the Drug Arrests were "hidden" in the UCR Guidelines to "Report Only The Most Serious Charge?" Or, are you this same poster, just singing a different tune after I pointed out the inconsistency of that argument?

If you look at the UCR numbers on the TCSO Message Board, you explanation here doesn't help them for a couple of years prior to 2005.

Can you maybe offer names of other agencies that were affected by this "upgrade?" Since I have the UCR's it wouldn't be hard to check their numbers to compare?

how many are yours

I just have one questions. I will ask it is a little bit.

Sounds like there is an agenda heree, sounds like someone is aspiring to run for political office. Sound like splitting hairs is the only way the potential candidate knows how to operate.

Now my questions..... ready......

How many of those drug arrests were yours? 0 I think

Re: how many are yours

Quote Originally Posted by guest20
    I just have one questions. I will ask it is a little bit.

Sounds like there is an agenda heree, sounds like someone is aspiring to run for political office. Sound like splitting hairs is the only way the potential candidate knows how to operate.

Now my questions..... ready......

How many of those drug arrests were yours? 0 I think
    Nope, no plans of political office in my future. I don't know what you mean about me splitting hairs. Either the number of drug arrests were down or they weren't. I am just a Curious Resident of Perry and Taylor County who was told about these numbers.

I had thought it was kind of strange last July when the Perry newspaper said that the "Joint Task Force" had made like it's 26th arrest for the year. I thought, gee, that's 1 or less arrest per week. That sounded kind of low.

I didn't think nothing else of it until someone told me that drug arrest in the city and county had been down the last several years. They told me about how to get the UCR numbers off the FDLE web site. So I did. I was shocked when I saw them.

I had found this site. So I came on here to ask my questions. So far, none of the answers seem to be complete.

To answer your question. None of those drug arrests were mine. I have never been a police officer nor, have I ever been arrested. I am a citizen that is concerned about this community. I tend to believe that increase in violence in it has a connection to the drug activity.

I guess PPD has run out of excuses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast