Lieutenant Promotion ... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Lt Promo

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo
    Well my fashion sense thanks you Vic, lol.

However, Im not clear on what "wherewithal" means to you, pls articulate.
    Im curious how many years you have spent in municiple policing and based on what grounds you have come to this opinion, have you ever worked with me or under me... no.

How does the PD not appear important to me? Where do you derive this opinion. I believe I have done or attempted to do plenty with regard to moral. I may not have succeeded in every attempt due to financial restraints but the effort was there. Also there are many different issues to many different people, some that are important to some may not be to others... you cant pls everyone. Also I cant do everyones job and Im limited as to where I can ge tmy hands dirty, so I pick up where others have either forgotten or left off.

To unify road patrol... they are all adults, if they choose to act or not act, it is there choice. Have you ever heard the term "You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink"?

I dont plan on applying for the Lt. spot, Im just curious as to how you became an authority on me. No hard feelings.
    Your welcome … and you do have a marvelous fashion sense!

Wherewithal to me means the drive to finish the job. Your comment “they are all adults, if they choose to act or not act, it is there choice” solidifies my belief. No they are police officers that are paid to do a job and the leadership in the past has taken that same stance you have just written in your own words. That is why we have four different squads that operate on what ever principle they want. That belief is the mainstay that has caused so many of the problems we face today. We have a great group of young officers that came into this job to be police officers (paramilitary) they want to be lead and they hunger for leaders. They want to look up to someone and say “Damn I want to be just like him or her”. What I do hear is younger officers wanting to emulate officers and not supervisors and that is a shame.

A Lieutenant will in fact can take the horse to water, show them how to drink the water, make them drink the water and then proved to them why they enjoyed the water.

Now I never said your character (moral) was in question and yes I have worked with you and for you so I do have an idea of how you operate. You are worker and that is not a question and you will get your hands dirty that is not a question either.

The question is do you have the desire to do the dirty work to unify road patrol and get the department up to speed? If your belief is “they are all adults, if they choose to act or not act, it is there choice” then you answered the question with a “no”. We need progressive out of the box thinkers and doers at this stage of the police department.

Listen, I don’t need any experience as a cop to tell you that management in the past has made errors and new management sees these errors and is in process of change. If middle management could have been strong we would not have the low moral like we do in the department. When subordinate units don’t speak to road patrol and the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing there is a problem. You do not need experience as a police officer in a municipal department to realize it. Life experiences are a wonderful tool to evaluate what is going on.

My resume although unknown to you and many carries many stops along the way and I have spent many years in the realm of police work. I will (if you have the belief in your words) sit down with you and provide you details of my professional life and why I feel I can voice an opinion as I have. Perhaps you might be surprised why I feel obligated sometimes to voice an opinion for change.

Again, if you read what I said you do have the potential to do wonders.

Johnny B that was me making that last post ...

Johnny B … answer this one question: Are you willing to lose your friends, be hated and go through all kinds of crap to fix the problems that exist? Are you willing to be ostracized by Sergeants and Officers in order to do the right thing?

Well thank you for taking the time to enlighten me. I dont claim to know it all and with regard to actual management, I have alot of experience to acquire. Its a continuing education. Im not against change and I am open to constructive criticism and learning.

I believe your message is positive, yet both right and not so right.

I think you and I were thinking two different approaches with the word "Unify". 1- Being a team. 2- Getting people to conform, professionalism, integrity, character, etc.
    Regarding #1- This is where I meant they are all adults.... People are individuals and as such you will always have individualism.
    #2- I agree with you. Although this is hard I dont believe its impossible. You see we have 4 diff groups, old school and new school. For those of us from old school you know exactly what I mean so I wont articulate further. Then you have those who think this is a job and those who believe it is a calling. You know what i mean.
    In the end it will take the "team" as a WHOLE to make it.
    I cant address your/our vision further in this forum but it person.

When did you and I work together?
    xo

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Makey
    Johnny B … answer this one question: Are you willing to lose your friends, be hated and go through all kinds of crap to fix the problems that exist? Are you willing to be ostracized by Sergeants and Officers in order to do the right thing?

My "true" friends will stay my friends. The others may not like me but they will respect me for what I have done. I believe you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. (Egg whites of course).

But Im not going for the Lt spot remember?

I give you my word that I will talk to you face to face and go over why I feel the way I do. Again, we have thoughts and we voice them and in the end if a positive comes from it we all win. Maybe you will see what I see and I definitely see your point and will take that into account. I hope that you and the other Sergeants will embrace and support the newly appointed people in the department. I think that we (I know it includes me) have a lot to learn and apply in my/are daily life as a police officer. If anything we can learn that dialogue can make people understand each others thoughts. I want to emphasize that I have tons of faults and make numerous mistakes … I try and learn from them and I am sure I drive my supervisors crazy. I guess being older and having been in positions of responsibilities in the past I have realized and come to terms that everything can not be perfect but that is no reason not to try and fix it or voice my opinion or give a suggestion to fix it. My goals on a daily basis are just to try and fix some broken things … I have no aspirations of rank or promotion and I see myself 65 calls until I retire in a few years. We all need a ditch digger but I have known some ditch diggers who have changed a lot of things. John you are liked by many in this department and you are entrusted with one of the most sacred positions “Sergeant of Police Officers” and you can make a change. Don’t limit your beliefs and remember that it can get better we all just have to work together in getting the ship right.

Would you two just kiss and get it over with already. O.M.G. this post is boring

Oh yeah, you guys are in for a shock. The Department has "no money" for schools, remember? Why did they approve Sgt. Forbes for SPI (spelling ???) school? As the rumor goes, Sgt. Gordon asked for that but was denied. See the writing on the walls?

Final Word

I think youve misunderstood me Mike...

Im all for positive change and will not stand in the way of it, if not at the front of it. The Dept has my support. I myself have attempted to change things but I ve realized this...

1) The people, our peers, have got to want it. The Admin can only do so much w/o the support of all, as I mentioned before, it will take the whole team to make it happen. Road patrol is the backbone and the forefront, they all have got to want it, and it comes from individual character.

2)Money, "cutting edge" technology and training is very expensive

Attitude though is free, but you cant get something for nothing I guess.

Ive never entertained this site, much less written on it.
    Im outta here!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast