My two cents...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My two cents...

My two cents...

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend tonight's union meeting due to the fact that my sister-in-law just had a baby and I was at the hospital. I did get some 43 as to what was discussed and I feel that I should set the record straight as to tings that were said by the president regarding solicitation of funds by myself and S.A.

As I have done during the past FOUR years, I approached J.N. with my solicitation letter in January. After he read it, he informed me that I would need to delete a sentence pertaining to the donations being a tax write-off before sending them to businesses. After having his approval of the letter we began distributing it to businesses that have donated in the past and new ones. We were never told that we could not solicit nor were we told as to what businesses we were to stay away from. The letter itself states that we were asking for donations to cover "expenses relating to registration, lodging, food, equipment, etc..." (I have the letter for anyone who wishes to view it). I assume J.N. "mis-spoke" when he said he had never seen the letter. I know...that whole sniper-fire thing in Bosnia has us all mis-speaking...

Only just a few days ago I was approached by J.N. and was asked why I was doing this and told that we were taking away from donations from a solicitation company that the union used. I was never told that it is a violation of the solicitation contract drawn up by the "solicitation company" a.k.a. Larry-I'm selling seats on the next shuttle flight- Stracuzza (yes...I have dealt with this rip-off artist personally). J.N. has yet to provide me with this contract stating the above.

The solicitations are done to alleviate us having to got to the union and ask for funds as do others attending the Olympics as the softball team has done in addition to the sponsorship they have received from Club Eden.

So as long as I and S.A. are being called on the carpet lets open up the proverbial "can of worms". I am calling on the union board to open their books for the last three years to date so that the membership can see just what OUR money is being spent on. Maybe we can discuss how 90% of the board attended a leadership conference in Nashville with expenses paid for by us. We might also discuss the board meetings held during the month at places like Geronimoes that I would be willing to bet that we pay for as well. I was on the board and the only thing I remember even remotely is taking the town bargaining unit to lunch at Longhorn for lunch at the conclusion of our negotiations. I can go on but I think I've made my point.

This being said I welcome your chastising, but at least have the guts to identify yourself. I'm not a supervisor so you don't have to be fearful of retribution.

tsd/634

wowwwwwwwwww welllllll said.....lets see what the cowardly responses will be.....

Re: My two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIE634
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend tonight's union meeting due to the fact that my sister-in-law just had a baby and I was at the hospital. I did get some 43 as to what was discussed and I feel that I should set the record straight as to tings that were said by the president regarding solicitation of funds by myself and S.A.

As I have done during the past FOUR years, I approached J.N. with my solicitation letter in January. After he read it, he informed me that I would need to delete a sentence pertaining to the donations being a tax write-off before sending them to businesses. After having his approval of the letter we began distributing it to businesses that have donated in the past and new ones. We were never told that we could not solicit nor were we told as to what businesses we were to stay away from. The letter itself states that we were asking for donations to cover "expenses relating to registration, lodging, food, equipment, etc..." (I have the letter for anyone who wishes to view it). I assume J.N. "mis-spoke" when he said he had never seen the letter. I know...that whole sniper-fire thing in Bosnia has us all mis-speaking...

Only just a few days ago I was approached by J.N. and was asked why I was doing this and told that we were taking away from donations from a solicitation company that the union used. I was never told that it is a violation of the solicitation contract drawn up by the "solicitation company" a.k.a. Larry-I'm selling seats on the next shuttle flight- Stracuzza (yes...I have dealt with this rip-off artist personally). J.N. has yet to provide me with this contract stating the above.

The solicitations are done to alleviate us having to got to the union and ask for funds as do others attending the Olympics as the softball team has done in addition to the sponsorship they have received from Club Eden.

So as long as I and S.A. are being called on the carpet lets open up the proverbial "can of worms". I am calling on the union board to open their books for the last three years to date so that the membership can see just what OUR money is being spent on. Maybe we can discuss how 90% of the board attended a leadership conference in Nashville with expenses paid for by us. We might also discuss the board meetings held during the month at places like Geronimoes that I would be willing to bet that we pay for as well. I was on the board and the only thing I remember even remotely is taking the town bargaining unit to lunch at Longhorn for lunch at the conclusion of our negotiations. I can go on but I think I've made my point.

This being said I welcome your chastising, but at least have the guts to identify yourself. I'm not a supervisor so you don't have to be fearful of retribution.

tsd/634
    Why do you continue to make these posts anonymously? Referring to yourself as "634" is hardly identifiable. And what is that ball, bird, and anchor thing?

To further set the record straight, (this record needs a lot of straightening) the Nashville trip was discussed both before and after the meeting. It was 2/3's of the board that attended. I don't see how this is anymore excessive than sending four people to Washington every year. The board also burned their own time to go sit in classes for eight hours a day. Incidentally, Nashville is not the vacation paradise that you may think. I don't know what the exact amount of trip, but Rich Moore can report it AGAIN at the next meeting.

I support your right to privately solicit businesses. However, I'm sure that everyone can see the problem with separate factions of the FOP hitting up the same businesses for donations. At some point, honest business owners will hide under their desks when they see police officer for fear of bankruptcy. It is more of a common sense thing than a contractual obligation. I think that you should be able raise money for travel expenses, modest accommodations, meals and entry fees, but where is this being held again? Tokyo? It's an in state event. If it is costing you more than a grand for two people something is seriously wrong.

Are you going to justify all of your expenses to the Union against what you collected? I believe you should in that you collected the money in the FOP's name.

Congratulations on the new addition to the family. No sarcasm intended in this last part.

Out of all of the meetings I have attended (which I am usually a regular), I don't recall ever discussing the Nashville trip. I just don't see why any others than the president and maybe the veep needed to attend this on our dime. Furthermore, any time dedicated to FOP business is ALWAYS done on your own time, this is a fact of life of being on the board. I really could care less about the time. If it was granted by the city, it's no skin off our rears anyway. As for the DC trip... This is a DRAWING held every year to reward members for attending meetings, and not a right. If there are those that are upset about us attending then they should attend meetings to get in on the eligibility list, or the union should just do away with the whole thing.

As to our expenses, I keep credit card statements that are copied and turned in to the union at the conclusion of the Olympics. You should check with your current or former treasurer to view these expenses.

If a contract exists with our solicitation company that prohibits us from soliciting, I have no problem following that. However, when I get the blessing from the president to contact businesses and then a few months later he tell everyone how wrong we are for doing it, I have a problem with that. Additionally there are plenty of businesses in the town that we shouldn't have problems in reaching different ones. I have never seen a list from Stracuzza however.

As indicated in my original post, please identify yourself if you wish to comment (ID numbers are fine).

Kudos to 634 - Like him or not fellas - he is correct. Why should the union care who we solicit to help offset our costs to attend the Police Olympics.?. If you really would like to get into it Mr Voltaire, how about going one step further and let's look into the pension board and their so-called "trips"where they discuss and learn about pension topics (yeah, like how to drink & put a dollar into a stripper's g-string)...... Anyways, you go Devil dog...

Quote Originally Posted by Davie Sgt
    Kudos to 634 - Like him or not fellas - he is correct. Why should the union care who we solicit to help offset our costs to attend the Police Olympics.?. If you really would like to get into it Mr Voltaire, how about going one step further and let's look into the pension board and their so-called "trips"where they discuss and learn about pension topics (yeah, like how to drink & put a dollar into a stripper's g-string)...... Anyways, you go Devil dog...
    I like him just fine, but I don't like to be called "fella." I also don't have a problem with him collecting money. I just don't agree with all of the things that he said. I also did a novel thing today after posting my response: I called him. It was quite a civil conversation.

I have never heard about these pension board allegations, but I think that it would be better brought up at a meeting. I understand the need for secrecy among the administration. No one wants to be a rat or jeopardize their careers for something said in here. However, if someone is doing something illegal or unethical with Union money, why can't we bring it into the open? There is no ratting issue and their is no career hazard.

I don't want to get too much into this us against them crap, so this will be my last post on the subject. We are a Union and I will not be a part of publicly accessed infighting. It ends up weakening us all.

I will say that Davie634 and I talked about this and in my mind it was resolved. I will be glad to discuss it off this site. If you don't know who I am, ask him and he can point you in my direction.

Why dont you and sandals boy (disclaimer:not affiliated with the awesome and economical trip planner) quit, go back to your old agencies or go and
    work at a bank. Maybe that way you can complain at a job that still has 10 hour rotating shifts with weekends off.
    Remember, you are still a hottie to trottie past fotty with a gaudy (the ring) and naughty body scottie

Who is sandals boy?

Hes only the most proactive and intelligent leo to currently walk a beat in Davie (excluding hottie).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast