Officer Suspended After Internet Post

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Quote Originally Posted by wftv.com
    OVIEDO, Fla. -- A police officer has been suspended from the force because of what he posted on the Internet. The Oviedo Police Department took away the officer's gun and badge when he claimed online to be a "super-trained killer ninja fighter." It's a statement the officer admits was a joke, but the department didn't find it funny.

The controversial statement was found on Officer Justin Varkony's MySpace page. It stated that he was a "supertrained killer ninja fighter of the night who has not had a chance to use this special skill yet."

The man investigating the case is taking it seriously.

"It was brought to the chief of police, yes," said Lt. Dennis Lynch, Oviedo Police Department.

Oviedo police acted swiftly and put Varkony on administrative duty.

The Oviedo Police Department said it is a matter of public safety and that if one of its officers truly believes he is a "super trained ninja fighter who has not used his special skills yet," it is a cause of concern.

Making things worse, Eyewitness News uncovered 22 other complaints, including one case where Varkony admitted putting notches on his Taser every time it was used. He received 84 hours of unpaid leave.

"The majority cleared as minor infractions, but I'm not a rogue cop," he said.

Instead, Varkony says he's a cop being targeted after arresting a city council person's family member in 2005.

"The politics get rough. We try to stay away from them, but unfortunately stuff happens," he said.

Varkony has taken down his MySpace page. Oviedo police will decide if he should be taken off the force.

Officer Varkony will have his case heard Tuesday. The Internal Affairs report can take as long as six months. In the meantime, he will remain on administrative duty.
    Click here for the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

This dude from OVIEDO needs to be a lover not a fighter. Take for instance Dunk's myspace site. He uses it to pick up chicks not to brag how tough he is or all the bad guys he has locked up.

Edited out by mod 418

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hansen
    This dude from OVIEDO needs to be a lover not a fighter. Take for instance Dunk's myspace site. He uses it to pick up chicks not to brag how tough he is or all the bad guys he has locked up.
    I think Oviedo needs to more productive things to keep themselves busy. This is just too funny....

He needs to hire an attorney and sue the sh!!t out of them for violating his constitutional rights of FREEDOM OF SPEECH......

I AM A HIGHLY TRAINED PURPLE YOGURT SLINGER AND HAVE NOT HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO UNLEASH MY POWERS.....OR HAVE I?????

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    He needs to hire an attorney and sue the sh!!t out of them for violating his constitutional rights of FREEDOM OF SPEECH......
    IA taught me this:

1. The constitution protects your freedom of speech.

2. This means that your employer (the government) can't lock you up for exercising your freedom of speech.

2. It does not guarantee you a job if you exercise your freedom of speech because your employer (the government) can still terminate your employment.

IA will also tell you that you are required to talk to them. Actually, you're not required to talk to IA. And if you refuse to talk to IA, they can't throw you in jail for refusing to talk. However, you can be fired.