WTF
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF

WTF

Somebody needs to slow KAZ down. I have never heard of any discussion of voting a no confidence vote on on the Chief. I am all for going after Johnson and the Board they deserve it but Chief Kelly has about as much say as I do in these negotiations. AS I remember they only said they were going after Johnson and the Board.

Palm Beach Post

"School police want chief removed
    By CHRISTINA DeNARDO
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, April 10, 2008

The union that represents officers in the Palm Beach County School District Police Department are considering a no-confidence vote against School Police Chief Jim Kelly.

The union and officers accuse Kelly of trying to sabotage a ratification vote on raises which officers overwhelmingly rejected and complain that officers are forced to use antiquated equipment and that some officers have to use their personal cars for police businesses.
    "He has been there too long and he has been comfortable in the position and he thinks he can do whatever he wants," said John Kazanjian, president of the Palm Beach County Police Benevolent Association the represents the 160-member police force. "He needs to go. We need to bring somebody else in to do the job."
    Kelly, a former insurance lawyer and district superintendent for security, has headed the school district's police force since 1989. He created what is now a successful youth court program that annually prevents about 5,000 students from serving jail time.
    The union said that school police radios are outdated and that officers who work in multiple schools sometimes need to use their personal cars if responding to an incident because there are not enough patrol cars. Last year, Kelly did away with the lieutenant ranking, angering officers who considered it a demotion. Before the union voted on whether or not to accept a 2 percent raise earlier this year, Kazanjian said Kelly met personally with two dozen officers to talk them into voting for the contract.
    "He told them if they voted no on the ratification vote, there was a good possibility they wouldn't have a job anymore."
    Discussion of a possible no-confidence vote comes at a time when Superintendent Art Johnson is discussing possible merger talks with the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office. The school board and Sherrif Ric Bradshaw would have to agree on the merger."

WOW, well I like Kelly, and think he is doing all he can do, if it wasnt for him I wouldnt have a job. I am happy about one thing the article referenced...using our vehicles to respond to calls for service, this is the ONLY plus that came out of the article......I am still in shock over the rest!!!

I've had nine Chiefs in my time. I'd rate Chief Kelly as my #2 all-time. Chief Kelly runs the 2nd or 3rd largest dept in the County and probably in the top 50 in the State when you throw in the 14 frozen positions. The problem is that in departments we all came from, the police were about 45% of the workforce and Fire was about 25% and we could rule when we weren't bickering with each other. Chief Kelly has the gross numbers, but lacks the clout of someone who leads almost half the workforce. Here, we're about 1%. My #1 chief had clout because he had the biggest army, most visible part of the organization, and reported directly to either the city manager. Our chief has a bunch of people between him and our mayor (AJ). He also has principals and others that insert themselves either directly or by proxy into the chain-of-command, just like we have to put up with in the schools. In my former life, I was the SRO Sgt and reported directly to the Dep Chief. What I directed to be done was final, I did not have an AP, Principal, Area Sup, etc trying to insert themselves in my chain-of-command and change things. I had less interference as a sergeant than the Chief has as a chief.

OV-ER-B=AY

I have had Officers call me today about this post report. I knew nothing of this till I read Jason's post this AM. Like you and most of the other members, we were told that Chief Kelly wasn't a or the target. I will put my money where my mouth is. I WILL NOT VOTE FOR THIS OR WILL NOT ASK ANYONE ELSE TO VOTE FOR THIS. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED THIS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PUT IN THE POST. I DON'T KNOW WHY IT WAS DONE, BUT I WILL CALL PBA IN THE MORNING TO SEE WHAT HAS CHANGED FOR THIS TO BE PUT ON THE TABLE.

I will also try to set a meeting for next week to get some info out to the Officers.

But honestly don't you think the Chief could have, or can do more for his Officers besides offering "the schedule"? I mean the bus drivers got the all year around pay taken away! That shows you his pull is extremely limited and he could be classified as a "dupe"

WHAT'S GOING ON IN OUR WORLD

I phone PBA at 1118 hours, Kaz had left and will not be back till Monday. I will advise if any other info comes foward. Hang in there we will meet next week on some of these items.
    I'm confused what the Chief had to do with the Bus Drivers losing year around pay. He did say at the meeting we would not be doing this till at least next summer, and the way things go at the Dristrict that almost as good as never. When they have the Drivers go crazzzzzzy when they don't get that first check, we will see how they act.

Rest up Monday will be here soon.

Sorry Dummies, I won’t vote against the chief. The man has never done me wrong. The PBA has done pretty well, but a no confidence vote would back fire. Unless you guys are as stupid as I think you are. This department would have folded a long time ago under someone else. In the mean time, I’ll see you on da road.

The Chief is pretty much along for the ride in this like the rest of us. Its whatever AJ and Board decide. He's pretty much stuck in the middle. On one hand he's a cop, and on the other, since he is upper management, he has to be the alter ego of AJ. Do you think that Nat Harrington is giving his own opinion on things, or is he the puppet while AJ is giving him the script.

Do we have a plan?

JH,

Well the PBA attacked Kelly again today, if you have no knowledge of this who is calling the shots. Do we have a plan?

Is the Sheriff taking us over, I know the PBA has no say-so, the contract will be dealt with by a pissed off Johnson and the Sheriff.

If it was the PBA plan to bring in the Sheriff, why did we attack the people who will determine our fate?

Has the negotiation board talked about a benifits plan with the Sheriff.

What will be the plan, will the Sheriff keep everything running the same.

If we knew Johnson approached the Sheriff on March 17th, why did we continue our attacks.

Is it true you tried to get GC kicked off the PBA board? if so why. Didn't the PBA appoint him because of his experience, and KAZ want's him on board.

If the Sheriff is taking us over will we hear from his command on the tranisition.

Our careers our on the line during these hard trying times, please keep us posted, and share the PBA plan.

AAH TRAIWN RECK HASS MANIE QUESION

Well can I just call you Officer Wreck, or can I just call you Train? Let me try to do these in order for you.
    1) There are 5 reps and 2 that do the main work, I would hope that they would know what was going on with this. I did call today and Kaz was gone for the weekend. Someone has a plan just hope to know it on Monday.

2) The odds in Vagas are 4 to 1 for no take over, but everyone is trying to get by this in order.

3)I don't think that the people that you speak of (AJ) (Board Menbers) have that much say after they decide to go. I don't think the Sheriff will have term told to him, and what will they have to say? Don't pay them as much as ''the real Sheriffs'' or ''make sure they do midnights in cain feilds''. The only thing would be maintain manpower and who they respond to and issues like that.

4) The ''Negotiation Board'' who the HELL are they? If the Department did go and you went with them then you benifit plan would be the same as the other 1800 Sheriffs that work now.

5) I know that he said on TV one day this past week that the same Officers would stay in their school and bussiness would be the same. I was told that the other Cities he took over, he asked the Officers working there to stay in the Cities for two years then they would get all their years credited and vacation and sick so it was like they worked for him the whole time.

6) Johnson spoke to him on March 7th, the day after the first flier hit the boxes. The strange thing is that Bradshaw told AJ what he needed to give him a bid. We have been told that he hasn't called back with an of the info. Why would we stop just because AJ called, that is part of this crap we go through in order to get what we should have been getting. 2nd flier he calls Chief, 3rd flier he took this week off. What does all that mean.

7) NO, no true, I wasn't happy that he was appointed to the board when we are not using the people that won the election for job task. I know not why the Board put him in the PBA reps and have not been told. I did speak to him last Friday 4/4 after he put his meno out. After speaking to him, I will again say " I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH HIM OR THAT HE IS A REP, MY CONCERN WAS THE DRIVING FORCE BEHIND HIM. aFTER I SPOKE TO HIM I FEEL HE WILL DO THE BEST THING FOR THE DEPARTMENT AS A WHOLE AND THAT ALL WE CAN ASK.
    Please ''Jenny Craig don't ask me who I am when you don't give your name''
    Kas mush want him there as he put him there.

8) The way it's going you should read it in the POST first.

9) When I know their plan I will let you know, even know I will get trashed bacause of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast