take overs
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: take overs

take overs

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office is looking into taking over the county school district's department, Sheriff Ric Bradshaw confirmed this morning.

Bradshaw also said the city of Lake Worth is looking into a merger.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/ ... olice.html

Sheriff's Office eyes merger with school district police
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By ELIOT KLEINBERG

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office is looking into taking over the county school district's department, Sheriff Ric Bradshaw confirmed this morning.

Bradshaw also said the city of Lake Worth is looking into a merger.

Bradshaw said school superintendent Art Johnson called him March 7 and "asked me if we could explore the idea of merging. In order for me to make an intelligent decision, I have to have the budget and data to explore if it's feasible or not. He (Johnson) said, 'OK, that's fair enough. I need to bring it in front of the school board.' I haven't heard from him since. I don't intend to call him back. It's their ball game to start with. We don't solicit these mergers."

Johnson, who is on vacation this week, did not return a call this morning.

Bradshaw said Lake Worth officials approached the sheriff's office about the deal with that city. Lake Worth officials could not immediately be reached.

The idea was first broached last year, but talks ended in January. At an April 1 city commission meeting, Lake Worth commissioners agreed to reconsider the merger.

Bradshaw said the idea of taking over the school police was first floated years ago. If the district does contract with the sheriff's office, it would join Mangonia Park, Royal Palm Beach, Belle Glade, Pahokee, Wellington, South Bay and Lake Park.

"All the jurisdictions are extremely happy," Bradshaw said. "There was a cost savings to them (and) they got excellent service and more resources. Officers' pay went up. They got better training."

Officials of the district, which serves nearly 170,000 students said April 2 that they'll have to cut their $1.5 billion operating budget for next school year by $25 million to $30 million because of reduced money from the state legislature.

In February, the school board voted to give the department's estimated 160 officers a 2 percent raise, but on March 22, the Palm Beach County Police Benevolent Association rejected the deal by an 87-10 margin. The association had asked for a 5 percent raise.

"Anything is better than what they have right now." John Kazanjian, president of the Police Benevolent Association, said today. "The way we've been trying to negotiate contracts for the last five years, it's ridiculous. Art Johnson and the school board, they want to forget about the police right now, even though it's a necessity. They don't want to give them the benefits and the wages like the other departments have. They don't know how to run a police department."

Mergers are a plus for everyone, the community benefits. Standardized training, a stronger brotherhood, and better benefits; STRENGTH IN NUMBERS! I welcome them all.

Quote Originally Posted by GoforitRic
    Mergers are a plus for everyone, the community benefits. Standardized training, a stronger brotherhood, and better benefits; STRENGTH IN NUMBERS! I welcome them all.
    eh. have you had to deal with school police before?

I hope they realize that this "its across the street from the school" wont fly anymore...

Not to mention, will they have to open those cushy overtime gigs at the schools to all of us or will they still be the only ones to work them. How about there summer? Will they have to follow with the Eagle Academy and work during the summer? What about the those fantastic schedules? Will they have to work if a teacher doesn't. Maybe they should realize these things and all the benefits they have working for the school district. I understand that they are upset about the 2% raise, but they all made over 90,000.00 in 2007, did we? I didn't. But I also would not be a PBC School Board Police Officer. If they want to become the S.O. then they should have to lose that cushy OT and schedule, or stop complaining about the 2% when you already make 90+ a year!!!

How bout putting all those guys on road patrol, based on how many schools are in each district and making each shift responsible for providing a deputy for their school each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead
    How bout putting all those guys on road patrol, based on how many schools are in each district and making each shift responsible for providing a deputy for their school each day.
    School board police would be a contract, like wellington. which means they will get what they pay for.

If theyre only going to pay for a few, they will only get a few.

If the school board chooses to completely disband their police department... pbso will end up responding to calls for service.. but its doubtful pbso will station ds's at each school.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead
    School board police would be a contract, like wellington. which means they will get what they pay for.

If theyre only going to pay for a few, they will only get a few.

If the school board chooses to completely disband their police department... pbso will end up responding to calls for service.. but its doubtful pbso will station ds's at each school.
    You have no idea what you are talking about. If you think PBSO would short staff a school you are out of your mind.

With all that has happened in schools in the past years, we'll go out short on the road before they left a high school or middle school without an officer.

And as for the person you quoted, have you seen some of the officers at the school board? I'm not knocking all of them, but a lot of these officers are collecting retirement checks from another PD and took that job at school board because of the schedule.
    It's my guess that if PBSO took over a good portion of them will retire rather then work midnights on road patrol. Then there will be some left that we wouldn't even want. There are a few 10-8 guys that do work there and I'd be happy to work with.

90 thousand???? I know you are just trying to stir the pot. You are insane if you believe that jargon. I have been to some High Schools with truants, DCF etc and have spoken to the guys n girls. They have a rough job, not to mention no marked unit! I know for a fact starting salary is 41,000 and NO STEP PLAN, NO COMP, NO MERIT RASIES until you are in your 8th year! They deserve better, and get educated before you post any 14 about salaries. Also a school will always have coverage, Bradshaw will not get caught with egg on his face god forbid a VA Tech incident happens in the 561!!!

Maybe we can return Carol back to the Schools.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast