V.I.N. - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: V.I.N.

yup i hear labelle did

All of the Sergeants stood together and no one put in for the position

Thats great everyone stood together and didnt put it.

Did RC get the sgt spot?

Interesting? We do not have a 566 at the PD

Whos 566?

I want to sign up for VIN.
    I would love to get paid to cheat on my wife.
    See my girlfriend during work hours, sounds great!
    CA when you leave VIN, I so want your spot.

The fact that the guy up above thinks that the VIN unit should be touching every member of the Department, shows that he has no idea what a VIN Unit does. Yes, VIN should interact with some of the members of the Department that provide good intel. Trust me when I tell you that they are in the minority.

However, if you think you should see a VIN unit every day, you clearly don't know what makes a VIN unit successful. The goal is trafficking arrests. That leads to the elephants. If you have a guy on the road who snags someone with an eight ball and that leads that fifteen to snitch on a bigger guy, then, yes, the officer should find out about that. However, the hope is that you keep climbing the food chain to get bigger and bigger deals. The bigger the deal is, the less likely that the Unit will use Road Patrol at all, unless they want to do a Carroll Stop - a pretextual stop.

When the deals get big, they usually bring in undercovers. If the deal is really big, then they use federal agencies. A VIN unit that constantly interacts with the road is probably not very successful unless the Road is handing them half kilos left and right. It happens, but its not that common.

I was also here when Kilpatrick was in VIN. If you weren't on K-9 or SWAT, you may have seen him in the hall, but you weren't used for deals. Right or wrong, that is how it was. You need to tone down your rancor, when you don't know what you are talking about. It's embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    The fact that the guy up above thinks that the VIN unit should be touching every member of the Department, shows that he has no idea what a VIN Unit does. Yes, VIN should interact with some of the members of the Department that provide good intel. Trust me when I tell you that they are in the minority.

However, if you think you should see a VIN unit every day, you clearly don't know what makes a VIN unit successful. The goal is trafficking arrests. That leads to the elephants. If you have a guy on the road who snags someone with an eight ball and that leads that fifteen to snitch on a bigger guy, then, yes, the officer should find out about that. However, the hope is that you keep climbing the food chain to get bigger and bigger deals. The bigger the deal is, the less likely that the Unit will use Road Patrol at all, unless they want to do a Carroll Stop - a pretextual stop.

When the deals get big, they usually bring in undercovers. If the deal is really big, then they use federal agencies. A VIN unit that constantly interacts with the road is probably not very successful unless the Road is handing them half kilos left and right. It happens, but its not that common.

I was also here when Kilpatrick was in VIN. If you weren't on K-9 or SWAT, you may have seen him in the hall, but you weren't used for deals. Right or wrong, that is how it was. You need to tone down your rancor, when you don't know what you are talking about. It's embarrassing.

AMEN TO THAT ONE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Trust me when I tell you that they are in the minority.
    That's great. It's this attitude that lead you guys to where you are today. Obviously since your way is so successful (haha), you keep thinking like this.

[/quote]A VIN unit that constantly interacts with the road is probably not very successful unless the Road is handing them half kilos left and right. It happens, but its not that common. [quote]

Are you that nearsighted to see that your arguments contradict each other? You talk about building a big case from small informants at first, then you talk about the road handing you kilos. Don't you see how much more successful you would have been if you would have had a good relationship with the road? Instead of locking up every guy with a nickle bag of weed or cocaine, guys would be A LOT more likely to contact you and let you work the small CI's (which lead to big busts). There have been NUMEROUS times where I've seen a guy lock someone up for a small amount of substance and heard other Officers on scene say something like, "you gonna call VIN?" Almost every time I've heard it asked, the response is the same: "No, why would I do that?"

If you don't understand that, then there's no use wasting my time here....

I was not part of the most recent VIN Unit, but unlike you, I did work in VIN. When you are busy make trafficking arrests and you have a four man unit, you don't have time to interview every nickle and dime weedsmoker, who wants to flip. I'm sorry, but what you are describing is what the Special Ops unit should be doing. Not VIN. You work small cases to get to big cases. When you are already on big cases, the small cases get pushed to the side. You have to work smart, when you have four people. The last month this most recent VIN unit was working, they had something like 20 trafficking cases. I doubt that there was one trafficking case produced on the road in the same amount of time. There have probably been 20 trafficking cases on the road in the past 2 years. You really don;t know much about working dope. It's obvious. I am also telling you that unless you were one of five or six people, half of whom were gone, you didn't get to work with Kilpatrick as a road officer either. When you have a stable of informants and a full list of viable targets, you don't have time to talk to every would be snitch.

People will agree with you around this Department because less than 10% of them have ever been in VIN. I have. What you are describing is what a street crimes unit might do. You can be the biggest 57 cop on the road, but until you have spent a year or two in there, you are only guessing as to how it works.

Answer this question honestly. You don't have to tell me who you are to answer this. You have never been in VIN, have you? I know the answer, because you have the same opinion as everyone who hasn't worked the unit. Also, the objective in this game is to lock up bad guys. If you are withholding information because your feelings were hurt the last time you talked to a VIN guy, you really aren't much use to this Department are you?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast