Will Prior Record Hurt My Application Process?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Will Prior Record Hurt My Application Process?

I am looking to apply either for a federal position or a state police position within the next four months (after graduating college).

I was charged with a Class D Felony just after my 18th birthday for petty theft, ( ops: dumb, yes...but over 8 years ago). The case and charges were dismissed approximately four weeks later. I was told by my lawyer that the charge would remain on my record, but the record would also indicate that the case was dismissed.

Will this inhibit my ability to join a police force?

Please let me know if you need further information to base a "guestimate" on.

Thank you,

MG

Yes it will. Most cops know that the reason cases get dismissed is not because the defendant is innocent. They get dismissed because of some technical mistake, or the workings of a shady defense attorney. No matter what your exuse is, you probably did what you were accused of, but got lucky somehow and the charges were thrown out. It will be a cop that handles your background. Why would an agency spend time doing a background on someone who was arrested for a felony when there are so many more applicants available with a clean record? Just my opinion, I hope things work out for you.

Re: Will Prior Record Hurt My Application Process?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I am looking to apply either for a federal position or a state police position within the next four months (after graduating college).

I was charged with a Class D Felony just after my 18th birthday for petty theft, ( ops: dumb, yes...but over 8 years ago). The case and charges were dismissed approximately four weeks later. I was told by my lawyer that the charge would remain on my record, but the record would also indicate that the case was dismissed.

Thank you,

MG
    You're kidding, right? :?

Question Police State of FLORIDA

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Yes it will. Most cops know that the reason cases get dismissed is not because the defendant is innocent. They get dismissed because of some technical mistake, or the workings of a shady defense attorney. No matter what your exuse is, you probably did what you were accused of, but got lucky somehow and the charges were thrown out. It will be a cop that handles your background. Why would an agency spend time doing a background on someone who was arrested for a felony when there are so many more applicants available with a clean record? Just my opinion, I hope things work out for you.
    This is dumb cop or lying cop bulls**t.

Cases get dismissed because the cops screw up, and there is evidence of their violation of the defendants civil rights. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GUILT OR INNOCENCE OF THE 'VICTIM', it is a function of level of police incompetence.

Sure, the 'Saintly Cops in their Infinite Wisdom' NEVER go after the wrong guy on some wild *ss hunch and totally violate his state and federal rights, or at least that is the pig swill they will try and feed you over and over again.

Cases are dismissed because the STATE ATTORNEY, even when Official Police Misconduct against an wholly innocent defendant is documented, will cover up the mess so the cops don't go to jail, and the state is not liable for damages to the victim(defendant). Also, the Police Chiefs are instrumental in their endorsements for State Attorney reelection.

Any cop with 5 years on the force KNOWS THIS if he is bright enough to read the laws and know they are being violated right and left.(admittedly, many are not intelligent enough to know the laws they are violating routinely, often on orders)

.BLUE POWER FOREVER..IN THE POLICE STATE OF FLORIDA.

Question Re: Will Prior Record Hurt My Application Process?

I was charged with a Class D Felony just after my 53th birthday for illegally taping officers arresting me "TAPING WITHOUT CONSENT", ( dumb, yes...but over 7 years ago). The case and charges were dismissed approximately four weeks later. I was told by my lawyer that the charge would remain on my record, but the record would also indicate that the case was dismissed.

Thank you,

BF

PS:, for you dumb*ss genius cops, Taping one of you guys in the performance of your public duty is not a criminal offense in the state of FLORIDA, even if the taping is not announced. What is a chargeable felony is when you WISE*ss cops start altering the tapes after you confiscate them. Destruction of evidence in a forcible felony crime. OH, but I forget, when the STATE ATTORNEY waves the magic paperwork, *"* POOF*"* boo-boo go bye-bye.

I was, in total fact, guilty of taping without permission as the cops broke in without a warrant and violated my civil rights.

Yeah, let's not worry about what they do, if you tape them, don't tell them, really it's that simple.
    There is tracking data on them cruising to their whores, to their shady deals.
    A picture won't add much more to the flavor unless you wish to pop them before the hackers do

I think this post got a little off track...answer to your question (original poster) is yes, for a Fed position a felony is almost always a No-Go...I am sorry about that. As for a local or state, you might have a good chance with a smaller dept. Your best bet would to be to take some dcjs classes in armed and unarmed security, maybe beccome certified in asp and oc and any other related courses. once youve done that, then apply and hope that your degree and training certs override your record. Just my two cents! Good luck..

0083 series

RIVIERA BEACH POLICE WILL HIRE YOU FELONY OR NOT. THEY CURRENTLY HAVE COPS FACING FELONY CHARGES ON THE PAYROLL THAT THEY HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR MONTHS! YOU WILL FIT RIGHT IN OVER THERE. LOOK UP FORMER DET. SGT. PAT GALLIGAN FOR FURTHER PROCESSING.

Quote Originally Posted by RIVIERA BEACH WILL TAKE YOU NO PROBLEM!
    RIVIERA BEACH POLICE WILL HIRE YOU FELONY OR NOT. THEY CURRENTLY HAVE COPS FACING FELONY CHARGES ON THE PAYROLL THAT THEY HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR MONTHS! YOU WILL FIT RIGHT IN OVER THERE. LOOK UP FORMER DET. SGT. PAT GALLIGAN FOR FURTHER PROCESSING.

Grow up!

What do you mean Grow Up! The above post is unfortunately as true as it can be. Riviera Beach is condoning and even paying officers while charges are pending for felony cases. Go to the Riviera Beach blog and read for yourself. They have a Sgt. Dodson who has been arrested and charged with apparently falsifying himself being robbed and firing gunshots throughout his Palm Beach Gardens neighborhood. Investigating officers found him to have made up this story and he was charged accordingly. Until his trial Riviera has supported and paid him and kept him on the job like nothing happened? Another one of their finest Det. Schneieder is facing over 150 counts of falsifying her bosses signature, I think thats called forgery? Yet she has also been paid like nothing happened and assigned on duty working other crimes even though over 80 felony cases she forged signatures on could be thrown out? This is all documented true stuff folks, do your research, it is quite unbelievable, there are also one or two more felony charged cops still on duty, I am just tired of typing. Do your homework and stop sticking up for "dirty cops and a dirty PD" We don't condone that crap here!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast