Miami police comm cntr
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Miami police comm cntr

The communications center at the Miami police dept never appreciates its employees. Dispatchers are used and abused and never thanked. It is our job they say, to handle calls the right way or do what we're supposed to do, but when one of us go that extra yard no one notices or even cares.
    I watch programs where they show the efficient way a call was handled by the police when they arrive, but nothing is ever mentioned of the way it was handled as the call came in. The efficiency, kindness and smartness of the person answering the call or dispatching the officers to the scene. It would be nice to get credit when credit's due. But not in Miami.

Re: Miami police comm cntr

Quote Originally Posted by Never appreciated
    The communications center at the Miami police dept never appreciates its employees. Dispatchers are used and abused and never thanked. It is our job they say, to handle calls the right way or do what we're supposed to do, but when one of us go that extra yard no one notices or even cares.
    I watch programs where they show the efficient way a call was handled by the police when they arrive, but nothing is ever mentioned of the way it was handled as the call came in. The efficiency, kindness and smartness of the person answering the call or dispatching the officers to the scene. It would be nice to get credit when credit's due. But not in Miami.
    You are soooo right! I was handled an awesome call, it was quick thinking and coordination that saved a woman's life. Unfortunately they gave all the credit to the rescue and police units who arrived fast on the scene. whatever! i got used to it, Miami sucks!!!!

BSO is the same way.

I hate to break the news to ya but this is a trend in most dispatch centers. I've gotten used to it for the past 9 years. As long as I do my job right, I'm not getting in trouble, and I still get a pay check I'm not complaining. It's the norm.

Miami Beach isn't any better. You can handle all the 3-15's you want and
    you'll never get credit for dispatching, maintaining order on the radio, and not loosing the units.

Something I learned early on--you are completely invisible until you make a mistake. THEN you get some attention. The former Lt. over my dispatch center a few years ago would always come up to us and carry on about how well we did after an incident, pat us on the back, tell us we were great, etc. We just rolled our eyes and said nothing, because we knew that the next day would be a different story. Then we'd get the reprimand letters for not doing this or that, and get questioned about why we didn't do something differently, lectured about what all we did wrong. It got to be such a joke! It got to where he'd finish one of his 'atta boy' sermons to us and we'd say, "Yeah, till tomorrow, right?"

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by no124u
    Miami Beach isn't any better. You can handle all the 3-15's you want and
    you'll never get credit for dispatching, maintaining order on the radio, and not loosing the units.
    no civilian of the month either. only payroll and that fat lady on the 2nd floor would get it. so unappreciated.

"Dispatch, the last to know and the first to be blamed" seems to be the most appropriate assessment across the board. And the ones who constantly find fault in all we do couldn't do our job if their life depended on it. The can barely walk and chew gum at the same time let alone try to calm a hysterical caller all the while getting all the information needed for responding units, having to work a radio and also having to answer 911 and admin calls at the same time and be expected to keep up with all the radio traffic and don't forget making those hundreds of phone calls during your shift for the road units. Just another day in paradise in dispatch land. To all of my fellow dispatchers out there, keep up the good work. Heaven knows we're the ones who keep the gears running smooth.

It's the same everywhere. Worked for FHP 24 years. Have 9 more and I'm out. Was hoping to get on the drop next year but Rick Scott is going to screw that up for me. And hopefully I won't lose my retirement.

At FHP troopers get all the attention dispatch gets the finger. Oh they say troopers haven't gotten a pay raise in 5 years. Guess what, dispatchers either. But troopers have take home cars and don't have to worry about gas prices being $3.57 per gallon. Troopers go to work simply by walking to the driveway of their house and taking a 10-8. Duty officers some commute 50 miles in their own car daily. Troopers complain they don't get enough pay... Duty officers get paid less and we don't have the option of working SOAR or a 208 that will bring in 40 to 50 dollars per hour.

Some say become a trooper. Well yes easier said than done. I can't because I have a physical disability thank you very much.

Don't know how other agencies are but FHP duty officers can promote. Yes we can promote to a duty officer supervisor and that's it. You have to wait till one quits, retires or dies in order to apply and test for the position and then they pick and choose whoever is their favorite. They have one Chief Duty Officer in the entire state. To become the chief duty officer of the FHP you have to wait until she retires or dies. And then you have to know someone up there in the ranks in the place they call Tallahassee which is a whole other country set apart from the rest of the state.

[quote="Never appreciated"]The communications center at the Miami police dept never appreciates its employees. Dispatchers are used and abused and never thanked. It is our job they say, to handle calls the right way or do what we're supposed to do, but when one of us go that extra yard no one notices or even cares.
    I watch programs where they show the efficient way a call was handled by the police when they arrive, but nothing is ever mentioned of the way it was handled as the call came in. The efficiency, kindness and smartness of the person answering the call or dispatching the officers to the scene. It would be nice to get credit when credit's due. But not in Miami.[/quot

Dont feel bad Police department also treat officers the same way. Give them your best and nothing gets said. Make a mistake and off with your head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast