Will PBA dues incease to pay the bills - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Past, Current and Future

Actually, TPD brought in about 52% of WCFPBA's money and did not want to leave WCFPBA. After all, it was their union in the first place. TPD's repeated requests to be in charge of their own money fell on deaf ears. The arbitration issue was actually worked out to everyone's satisfaction at a Charter Board Meeting a couple of months ago (I believe Jan 9th).

Let's face it, if your members put in most of the money and they're not satisfied with how other people are spending it, you better protect the interests of you members if you want to represent them. It's no secret as to what was going on with the money and how the spending of membership dues was being abused, so I won't go into it here. One of the biggest abusers was TPD with that $25,000 stipend Durkin was paying himself every January while still being paid Full Time by TPD and working OFF DUTY at the stadium. Once the problem with Durkin was solved by his removal, they focused on the trimming the other fat.

Personally, I don't have a problem with Union reps on part-time release being paid a reasonable stipend so they don't have to work using their personal time for free. Your HCSO presidents were being paid $10,000 stipends and your Lakeland president is being paid $8,000 p/year.

Who knows what the future holds for these two organizations? TPD got what they wanted (being in charge of their own money) by breaking away. Should the other 3 Chapters have met TPD's requests in order to keep them around? Does the union now lack stability with TPD gone? That can only be answered by the union reps left at the WCFPBA. Maybe they feel it was worth it or maybe they feel it was a mistake. Who knows? No one is beating down TPD's door though trying to put the pieces back together again.

As for the leases, the Lakeland and TPD offices amount to $4,000 per month collectively. So, you only need 160 HCSO deputies paying dues of $35 per month to cover the leases (after the State PBA gets their cut). So, it's doable.

WOW

As for the leases, the Lakeland and TPD offices amount to $4,000 per month collectively. So, you only need 160 HCSO deputies paying dues of $35 per month to cover the leases (after the State PBA gets their cut). So, it's doable
    HOW MANY MEMBERS WOULD BE LEFT WHEN HCSO JAIL OPTS OUT, WHICH IS EXPECTED IN THE NEXT 90 DAYS. I WOULD SAY WHEN THAT HAPPENS, 135 WORTH OF DUE PAYING MEMBERS GOING JUST TO THE OFFICE RENT IS A BIG CHUNK. IF OUR REP GETS 8,000 A YEAR THATS ANOTHER 20 MEMBERS, ONE ARIBITRATION HEARING A YEAR COULD EASILY BE ANOTHER 20 MEMBERS....AND WE HAVE NOT ANY PAYED THE ELECTRIC, OFFICE STAFF, PHONE, SUPPLIES, ETC....I AM NOT AS COMFORTABLE AS YOU, I DON'T SEE MUCH BREATHING ROOM AT OUR CURRENT RATE STRUCTURE. WE WILL BE THE LARGEST GROUP.

doable? wow that's why were top's.

talked to a tampa airport officer the other day, there ready to ''take off,'' also.

I was at a Charter meeting of the WCFPBA before the break-up when your president (Nick) refered to us (T.P.D.) as spoiled and over-paid.

It was at that moment that I knew that I would do all that I could on the word of mouth war-front to help our newly elected leaders pull away from WCFPBA. And sadly as long as "Nick" is your president I assure you that T.P.D. would not want to be in a union or even a loose affiliation with you guys.

I am sorry, but we have never thought that you guys are paid to much, or thought of you as lesser because you were smaller, so how we could ever want a "representitive" such as "Nick" on any board that might directly or indirectly represent us would be beyond me.

Sorry

Tampa P.D. Officer and EX MEMBER OF WCFPBA

we [lpd] never had a delegate election. so ''brother'' and i mean that! don't hold the action of one as the opinion of all, i have worked with tpd officer's on cases on several occasion's and you guy's were great. so, i know you did'nt and we wont either we are all in the same boat. i respect your agency and as we grow i hope the feelings are mutual. be safe spread the word we are all in this mess :cop: together.

I'd have to echo the above post and say that we all don't feel that way. I've never met an overpaid officer. We risk our necks for a living so overpaid is not a word I would use for any officer anywhere. Spoiled? I would say that.....but it's only from a jealousy standpoint. TPD officers are spoiled with toys we could never and will never have here in Lakeland. But then that's what I would expect to find in a larger agency. Anyone wanting to be spoiled like that need go only as far another large city's recruiting office. I know Nick and the kind of guy he is, and I find it difficult to understand what context he might have have said these words. I guess I'll ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by frankly
    I was at a Charter meeting of the WCFPBA before the break-up when your president (Nick) refered to us (T.P.D.) as spoiled and over-paid.

It was at that moment that I knew that I would do all that I could on the word of mouth war-front to help our newly elected leaders pull away from WCFPBA. And sadly as long as "Nick" is your president I assure you that T.P.D. would not want to be in a union or even a loose affiliation with you guys.

I am sorry, but we have never thought that you guys are paid to much, or thought of you as lesser because you were smaller, so how we could ever want a "representitive" such as "Nick" on any board that might directly or indirectly represent us would be beyond me.

Sorry

Tampa P.D. Officer and EX MEMBER OF WCFPBA
    To all the T.P.D. and any other outside agency people posting here I really don't understand why you feel the need to post here. You guys decided to split from WCFPBA so move on. For the one's posting the negative union stuff, believe me, we know who you are and you are the minority. Actually I don't know if 1 to 2% of a group our size even qualifies as a minorty. For all the people stirring the pot maybe a little reasoning will ease your anxiety. All of the questions about how is the WCFPBA going to survive without TPD and afford all this. Well, since TPD is no longer a member agency then they can probably rent space somewhere other than downtown Tampa which will be centralized to the member agencies and much cheaper. As far as stipends go, I don't think our guys are taking the full stipend, I would have to double check. I see no problem with taking it since we have no rep's on full release to do union business and union matters prevent them from working as much S-15 and o/t as others. Golf and dinners? I have no problem with that either, it is a part of doing business. More deals are made in the business world on the golf course and over vittles than in a boardroom. And besides, I don't think any reps will be getting their PGA card and joining the tour any time soon. If our dues go up some, again I wouldn't have a problem with it. Don't get me wrong I don't want to pay more but anyone here prior to the union knows what they have accompllished. So as said before, if you have a question or concern ask a rep or ask on the WCFPBA website. I've asked a rep before and they said they will not answer you on here.

All of the questions about how is the WCFPBA going to survive without TPD
    It's TPD and the Hillsborough County Sheriffs Office (law Enforcement) that are gone in the same month. Then the jail deputies are expected to follow. So I belive that was 75-80% of the revenue source. I hear the lease on that office is not up til 2010, so not so sure we can just turn the lights off and open up in a POD next month.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast