$17 million Sarasota County

$17 million Sarasota County

Sarasota County agrees to move towards stadium improvements

Updated: Feb 12, 2008 04:07 PM EST

SARASOTA - Sarasota County has raised the possibility again that it may chip in $17 million after all to keep Spring Training baseball in Sarasota.

Sarasota County commissioners voted 4-1 Tuesday afternoon to enter into "inter-local" talks with the City of Sarasota about $41 million worth of improvements to Sarasota's Ed Smith Stadium that were a requirement for keeping the Reds' Spring Training baseball in Sarasota.

County Commissioner Nora Patterson said she was moved by e-mails from what she described as regular moms and pops, who she said, urged her to keep baseball in Sarasota. Right now the Reds are in an exclusive bargaining period with the City of Goodyear, Arizona until April 11th.

times cant be that bad in our county if we can find money for MLB. law and order and schools come second :shock:

real nice county commission lay off dozens and dozens of county workers so you can build a new stadium for millionaire ball players who get a huge check from the big leagues. wow thats sad... get rid of baseball in the city if the county has to pitch in :lol: ...

if the city of sarasota cant afford it and the county has to bail them out the county should run the show at the ball park. the city can take the bench :lol:

Well hopefully when the Reds make the deal with the City of Goodyear,Arizona we won't have to worry about it. It's just a shame our county commisioners will find something else to waste money on and it won't be law enforcement.

• Jim Ley wrote a letter to the SSO requesting 1.5 million dollars back, stating that the budget is tight.
      [/*:m:2k4e3oct]
    • The Sarasota County commissioners are thinking about "donating" 17 million dollars to the Reds to refurbish a stadium for them.[/*:m:2k4e3oct]
    I'm scratching my head in disbelief. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by sso
    • Jim Ley wrote a letter to the SSO requesting 1.5 million dollars back, stating that the budget is tight.
      [/*:m:2tnpf27u]
    • The Sarasota County commissioners are thinking about "donating" 17 million dollars to the Reds to refurbish a stadium for them.[/*:m:2tnpf27u]
    I'm scratching my head in disbelief. :shock:
    This guy is unreal. He has the kahonnas to ask for money back from the Sheriff but yet wants to approve the Reds deal..Sorry folks this thing has to go. Times are tough. Lets see lay off county workers and build a baseball stadium deal. Unbelieveable.

I can only wish he gets put in his place. His logic shows his IQ

Im all for keeping baseball here but there isnt a thing wrong with Ed Smith Stadium. It might need some upgrades but i dont think it needs a 20 million dollar makeover.

It will be interesting if they can come up with the money for this and not other basic services the government is responsible for.

Quote Originally Posted by sso5
    Im all for keeping baseball here but there isnt a thing wrong with Ed Smith Stadium. It might need some upgrades but i dont think it needs a 20 million dollar makeover.

It will be interesting if they can come up with the money for this and not other basic services the government is responsible for.
    1. The voters voted AGAINST spending money on the statium.
    2. The county commissioners aren't listening to the voters and they're STILL going to spend money on the stadium.
    3. The county commissioners were originally talking about spending 17 million dollars to refurbish the statium for the Reds, but now they're going to spend $41 million on it.
    4. If the commissioners refuse to listen to the voters, then government is a sham. In this case, government isn't a shame (I'm a patriotic American), but these commissioners are listening to "special interest groups" instead of the will of the people. The people spoke loud and clear when voters "voted down" spending money on the Reds statium.

I'm disgusted with the fact that the commissioners REFUSE to listen to the "voted down" referendum to spend money on the Reds statium. Exactly whose pockets are being lined??? :?

Get rid of the Stadium, sell that realestate and let someone build Highrises and heres your money plus some. the people dont get enough attendance to pay for the lights. If you want something everyone can use. Build a Civic Center or a real fair ground past the Interstate and bring in rodeos,concerts etc.

The people do not want the baseball. Its obvious. Get rid of it bye bye and save some poor city or county worker his job.

Those lights could be sold off for some good cash. Think about it. We could get Jim a new desk or book case.