Poll! How many agents in here like their job at ABT? - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Who wouldn't like a job where you can drink coffee, read the paper, have supervision you can outwit, outplay and outlast and be responsible for nothing. Oh, did I mention we even get a check for this every 2 weeks.

Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Who wouldn't like a job where you can drink coffee, read the paper, have supervision you can outwit, outplay and outlast and be responsible for nothing. Oh, did I mention we even get a check for this every 2 weeks.

This guy has hit the nail on the head. Do what you want when you want and get paid at the same time. Not only that, the off-duty is nice too.

Don't work for this job, make it work for you...

The DBPR does not care about ABT or its agents. It has slashed an burned ABT into the ground. ABT is a shell of an agency. With 150 agents to cover a state with over 100 million visitors a year. Broward county by itself has 25 million visitors each year. That is only one county. ABT Broward? Less than 10 agents. 3 supervisors. People talk about agents trashing ABT on this web site. DBPR is the guilty suspect trashing ABT.

ABT has 150 Agents on staff for the entire State of Florida! To put it in perspective: The High School I went to had 150 on staff!!

ABT has 150 Agents on staff for the entire State of Florida! To put it in perspective: The High School I went to had 150 on staff!!
    The crew that is in charge of DBPR in Tallahassee needs to be ashamed-very ashamed. By some terrible decision making and awful luck, ABT ended up under the DBPR.

That DBPR has been an irresponsible steward of ABT. DBPR has failed to back ABT and its mission to safeguard citizens and visitors. DBPR has done nothing to further the agency and plenty to shake its foundations apart. Anybody who wants to know where the agency stands and what the morale is? The answer is: 150 Agents on staff!

Cheer up. It's actually closer to 156 Agents! And we just got Beverly back!

156 Agents statewide but 20-30 are applying elsewhere, and 5-10 will resign/flee from here by the end of the summer. The Captains and Lieutenants are running for elected office to get out?

You're right about the DBPR what a disaster and trying to destroy any trace of the ABT and its tradition. Look at the meddling today-used to be run by a Chief, the Director was a liaison to industry and also had legislative duties. Never dipped into policy making. Never told people what kind of pants to wear. Deputy Secretary? Secretary? Never, ever directly intervened with ABT...

Everyone thinks they can run ABT. Everyone thinks their background justifies telling agents what they can and cannot do. Secretary, Dep Sec, Director, all think they have the unique insight to meddle directly into policy and contol the direction of ABT. Here's a quaint old idea DBPR Executives: Go do your DBPR job and stop the micromanagement of ABT. Isn't there a cosmetologist out there who isn't decontaminating her combs between haircuts? Go bother her. Write her policies. Tell her not to wear jeans. Tell her about how you used to cut hair with the agency twenty years ago. Destroy her already cramped and dingy workplace and cut her staff. Eliminate her step raises and take away any FLSA hours she may get. Work your DBPR magic on somebody else.

156 Agents statewide but 20-30 are applying elsewhere, and 5-10 will resign/flee from here by the end of the summer. The Captains and Lieutenants are running for elected office to get out?

You're right about the DBPR what a disaster and trying to destroy any trace of the ABT and its tradition. Look at the meddling today-used to be run by a Chief, the Director was a liaison to industry and also had legislative duties. Never dipped into policy making. Never told people what kind of pants to wear. Deputy Secretary? Secretary? Never, ever directly intervened with ABT...

Everyone thinks they can run ABT. Everyone thinks their background justifies telling agents what they can and cannot do. Secretary, Dep Sec, Director, all think they have the unique insight to meddle directly into policy and contol the direction of ABT. Here's a quaint old idea DBPR Executives: Go do your DBPR job and stop the micromanagement of ABT. Isn't there a cosmetologist out there who isn't decontaminating her combs between haircuts? Go bother her. Write her policies. Tell her not to wear jeans. Tell her about how you used to cut hair with the agency twenty years ago. Destroy her already cramped and dingy workplace and cut her staff. Eliminate her step raises and take away any FLSA hours she may get. Work your DBPR magic on somebody else.
    Don't you think "The Man" would spread his knowledge and wisdom to others if he could? The problem is the legislature cares about the happiness of the blue jean wearing 20 year old, cutting their hair!!! Her well being is important. Yours? Not so much.

Back to the original question...I for one am happy with my job. Would I like things to be better? Of course, but that doesn't seem to be in our future right now. Times change and things get better, then they get worse..it's the cycle of ABT. It's been this way since I began with ABT over 15 years ago. In my office we do a lot of different type of investigations and try to help each other out as needed. We *****, we moan and groan, but for the most part we all like it here.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast