Department Closure? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unfortunately we are getting closer and closer to the above becoming a reality. Officer are now being warned that their current positions are being looked at for "liquidation." We have already begun giving up responsibilities to the SSO, my understanding is that our Marine Unit will for all intensive purposes be a paper tiger which means the SSO and Fish and Game will be taking that over, what’s next? The CID captain is already serving Detective positions up to the Chief so they can be sacrificed to the Hobbit that currently holds the position of City Manager. What's he making $170,000 a year, great investment, that would pay roughly 4 rookie officers salaries. The guy asks uniformed officers to move to Newtown, and was serious about it. Talk about ill informed or out of touch. But I guess Bird Key and Newtown have allot in common, all I have to say about that is "You First" I'll even help him move, or better yet CRT and NET can be reassigned to help him move. I guess what it comes down to here is that I would never say never about anything at this point.

The Chief works for the City Manager on a yearly contract so don't look for any help from the first floor. Oh and thank goodness he finally got that second full time secretary, COC's and Special Orders have really backed up lately. Talk is cheap and that’s what we got the last contract. I seem to recall the quote "The times of doing more with less have come to an end." during the last budget talks. Well Officers we have now entered the time to "DO WITHOUT." How bout we do without paying 5 dollars a gallon for crap gas at the barn so that City Works can float their budget on SPD. How bout we don't pay for the barricades that the City "rents" to us during the parades that they make us work for straight time. How bout we put a Sergeant in Comm. instead of a Captain, or no one at all, they seem to do fine on their own over there. How bout not sweeping the streets in Newtown twice a week. How bout easing up on the use of pavers and trees on every street in the City. How bout getting rid of the City Commission and City Manager system and just picking one of the other so we don't have to pay for both. How bout we do away with the SURGE, or New Day Newtown or whatever they want to call it. I'm sorry did the City Manager ask for an increased police presence in Newtown? Oh really I thought we were cutting back police positions. So the SURGE will be staffed by Officers from other specialty units and Detectives? Hmmm so that means that those Officers jobs will go unmanned during the SURGE. Sounds more like a drought than a SURGE. I think this is a fine opportunity to cut back, violent crime is up, City funds are down, moral is a thing of the past. God I can't wait for the next contract negotiations to start.
    :twisted:

How bout we put a Sergeant in Comm. instead of a Captain, or no one at all, they seem to do fine on their own over there.
    It's money well spent. He goes into his office and closes his door (all day) and then goes home. He earns 120k for that? Who put him out to pasture at 120k per year to do nothing??? He's put there for punishment because he has the personality of a brick wall, but he's laughing all the way to the bank. Yeaa it hurts his ego that he's there, but he's making more money (for doing zilch) than you or I ever will. :roll:

You stuck him there to punish him, but it's a waste of city dollars. And about that tax amendment...

yea, and Bradenton has like 120 officers, and covers more area and and like a 1000 more residents than sarasota. don't look good.

Maybe...... but Bradenton is a dump, has always been a dump, and will always be a dump. The City of Bradenton has always been the toothless 2nd Cousin of Sarasota. Small hands, Smells like Cabbage, you know the sort, filthy buggers the whole lot of 'em........ :lol:

maybe so but this is about money, if they can do the job with 120 officers and keep the UCR crimes down, what is the city manager to do?

Get with the Times

Apparently you have not seen or dealt with BPD or have vsisted the City of Bradenton in the recent years. I have been there and have been assisted by BPD. Nice Police station, Nice City, All the toys, Professional employees and 90 percent of their budget Doesn't go towards salaries. If you don't get hired by SSO when we merge maybe Bradenton will hire you, if they don't read your post.

Re: Get with the Times

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Apparently you have not seen or dealt with BPD or have vsisted the City of Bradenton in the recent years. I have been there and have been assisted by BPD. Nice Police station, Nice City, All the toys, Professional employees and 90 percent of their budget Doesn't go towards salaries. If you don't get hired by SSO when we merge maybe Bradenton will hire you, if they don't read your post.
    IMO BPD is financially weaker than SPD, so BPD is more likely to merge with MSO before SPD merges with SSO. Of course, with this budget crunch from the amendment 1 tax amendment, both BPD and SPD could merge with their sheriff departments at about the same time. This amendment 1 budget crunch is still unraveling.

The Future is Unknown

This whole situation sucks for all of us SPD, BPD and all the others. we need to stay united.

i heard n port pd is having money trouble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12