Amend 1 and our budjet cuts

Amend 1 and our budjet cuts

Trying to at least start a positive thread, does anyone have accurate information what is going to be slashed so to speak from the PD budget. And if so, how much, and what is on the chopping block. There are a lot of rumors flying around and I think it would be informative that someone with "good" information let us know whats comming.
    I gather there will be some nasty responses here but I think we can weed through thoughs threads and get some "heads up" on the matter.
    Does anyone care to disclose the information.
    Thanks
    Brother Officer

Re: Amend 1 and our budjet cuts

Quote Originally Posted by Just curious
    There are a lot of rumors flying around and I think it would be informative that someone with "good" information let us know whats comming.
    Finding good information here is the key. Maybe BSO?

Budget

The State is obviously going to cut funds to the City. How the the City, not the department, handles it is the key. Will they expect each department to cut more from their budget or will they raise the millage rate. Or God forbid, cut really important things like the trolleys!!!! Hold on to your seats 'cause it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Let's face it the city is going to take this opportunity to say they can't give us anything concerning our up coming contract!!! They are going to tell us they are broke and they have no money for our contract but if we give back this or that they will let us keep our take home cars???? ( just an example) They made a bundle of money on the condos in the city and they choose to buy trolleys ????? they feel we need more parks and tree in the city of trees ??? come on. Mark my words if the city gives us any kind of descent contract I'll eat these words on 441/bro ward in my t-shirt and panties!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ON THE J O B
    Let's face it the city is going to take this opportunity to say they can't give us anything concerning our up coming contract!!! They are going to tell us they are broke and they have no money for our contract but if we give back this or that they will let us keep our take home cars???? ( just an example) They made a bundle of money on the condos in the city and they choose to buy trolleys ????? they feel we need more parks and tree in the city of trees ??? come on. Mark my words if the city gives us any kind of descent contract I'll eat these words on 441/bro ward in my t-shirt and panties!!!!
    That won't be a surprise, half the department already seen you in your panties.

Trying to at least start a positive thread, does anyone have accurate information what is going to be slashed so to speak from the PD budget. And if so, how much, and what is on the chopping block. There are a lot of rumors flying around and I think it would be informative that someone with "good" information let us know whats comming.
    I gather there will be some nasty responses here but I think we can weed through thoughs threads and get some "heads up" on the matter.
    Thanks
    Brother Officer
    The cuts are going to start with you. They are going to take your office, desk then stapler. Despite the fact that it was your stapler, they are still going to take it then they will fire you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Thanks
    Brother Officer
    The cuts are going to start with you. They are going to take your office, desk then stapler. Despite the fact that it was your stapler, they are still going to take it then they will fire you.

At least half the $94 million in spending cuts Broward County government anticipates next year would come from regional law enforcement and South Florida's jail system.

County commissioners vowed Tuesday that the Broward Sheriff's Office must share equally in the cuts that they will make in other services, including libraries and parks, animal control and environmental protection. Their position comes despite Gov. Charlie Crist's promise that law enforcement would not be harmed if voters approved property tax relief, which they did on Jan. 29.

"Everything is on the table," County Mayor Lois Wexler said. "Of course we want to maintain services and maintain employment for everyone, but I don't know if it will be possible."

Related links
    Broward's budget woes
    Other actions Tuesday by the Broward County Commission
    Property tax amendment coverage: How does it affect you?
    Budget planners warned commissioners that the $94 million estimate is probably low. They predict the final figure will top $100 million and could reach $175 million because a stagnant real estate market will likely lead to a smaller tax roll and because they did not include money for employee raises.

During the next seven months, the commission will explore cuts including reduced hours at parks and libraries, taking away aid to community shuttle services and privatizing other services. They must come up with specifics before they approve a spending plan for the county's general operations, which this year cost $1.3 billion.

Commissioners laid out general principles they plan to follow: proportional cuts for the sheriff,the property appraiser and elections supervisor; targeted cuts in their own agencies rather than across-the-board cuts; and as few layoffs as possible. They also said they will not skirt the will of voters and raise tax rates to offset lost revenue.

Local officials warned residents during the run-up to the Jan. 29 referendum that the tax relief plan would result in reduced services. Still, some are expressing concern.

Eileen Mitger, 63, takes her three granddaughters to the Main Library in Fort Lauderdale at least twice a week. Because the girls' mother works late hours, the family visits for about an hour after 6 p.m. to pick out movies and books.

"We have our bus ride here and then we take time to look through the books, but we do it late," Mitger said. "There goes our little tradition if they really do push the hours back."

When county commissioners cut spending last year for an initial round of tax relief, law enforcement bore less of the burden than other agencies even though it comprises almost half of the county's general operations. Then-Sheriff Ken Jenne agreed to cut programs to prevent crime and keep first-time offenders from returning to the jail, in addition to delaying construction of a new jail.

Commissioners said Sheriff Al Lamberti, Property Appraiser Lori Parrish and Elections Supervisor Brenda Snipes will be told about proportional cuts they must make, and that the commission will not engage in discussions of how to do so. They said they were aware that Lamberti could appeal his budget to Crist and the state cabinet, but said cuts must be equal.

Acting County Administrator Bertha Henry told commissioners that finding cuts will be difficult.

"The low-hanging fruit has been plucked, and this will be a very tough year," she said.