From Trooper to MDPD Officer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

From Trooper to MDPD Officer

I'm a State Trooper currently stationed in Fort Myers. I'm have been planning to apply with your Department, just as I hit my two years of service with FHP. How long does you app process take for Former LEO's? And what equipment do you guys working with? (Examples- Tasers, Service Pistols, Patrol Rifies, Shotguns, Take Home Cars,) Any information with Help?

Re: From Trooper to MDPD Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper wanting out
    I'm a State Trooper currently stationed in Fort Myers. I'm have been planning to apply with your Department, just as I hit my two years of service with FHP. How long does you app process take for Former LEO's? And what equipment do you guys working with? (Examples- Tasers, Service Pistols, Patrol Rifies, Shotguns, Take Home Cars,) Any information with Help?
    You won't be hired. We don't write other cops here. You are automatically disqualified.

Hey, no let him come and he can write the Troopers on the Turnpike.

You won't be hired. We don't write other cops here. You are automatically disqualified.
    Just for your information..I have never written a cop. I have taken heat from my Sgt for not written a smart a$$ MDPD officer for speeding (and almost Reckless Driving) on I-75 over here. Are the Troopers on the east coast that bad?

Just for your information..I have never written a cop. I have taken heat from my Sgt for not written a smart a$$ MDPD officer for speeding (and almost Reckless Driving) on I-75 over here. Are the Troopers on the east coast that bad?
    Trooper it depends on the trooper. As you can see from the juveniles trashing you on here. MDPD is losing area to patrol as more areas incorporate to form their own dept. Not the MDPD cops fault, for the area they have to cover in spite of losing some to incorporation is great and the county commission has always made it tough with manpower needs in both fire and police. Look around the state. You are certified and a valuable commodity. Cost of living is much greater in S E Florida. Every place in the country is looking for cops. Good lucky and don't let the turkeys on here get you down. I have been given a break by FHP personnel 4 times during my long time as a LEO (30+ yrs). If your certified, getting hired is the background check which is mostly FHP. Best benefits I have ever seen is at Boca Raton P D. take home, AR, 12 ga in car, issued Sig's for on duty and off. Vest. work out on city time, and pay is top. Highest Tax base in Palm beach I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Trooper it depends on the trooper. As you can see from the juveniles trashing you on here. MDPD is losing area to patrol as more areas incorporate to form their own dept. Not the MDPD cops fault, for the area they have to cover in spite of losing some to incorporation is great and the county commission has always made it tough with manpower needs in both fire and police. Look around the state. You are certified and a valuable commodity. Cost of living is much greater in S E Florida. Every place in the country is looking for cops. Good lucky and don't let the turkeys on here get you down. I have been given a break by FHP personnel 4 times during my long time as a LEO (30+ yrs). If your certified, getting hired is the background check which is mostly FHP. Best benefits I have ever seen is at Boca Raton P D. take home, AR, 12 ga in car, issued Sig's for on duty and off. Vest. work out on city time, and pay is top. Highest Tax base in Palm beach I bet.
    Don't go to Boca! The SO, Delray, Boynton and PBG are a lot better

starting here

We use Tasers and have shotguns available. You can carry some bigger equipment but you have to supply it at least for now. The department will give you a revolver but you have to supply any semi-autos and we have a list.
    There are worse places to work and you should look into Miami Beach too they are hiring and have lots of overtime and off duty money. Good luck

Re: starting here

Quote Originally Posted by happy33
    We use Tasers and have shotguns available. You can carry some bigger equipment but you have to supply it at least for now. The department will give you a revolver but you have to supply any semi-autos and we have a list.
    There are worse places to work and you should look into Miami Beach too they are hiring and have lots of overtime and off duty money. Good luck
    The reason why I'm applying to MDPD is that you guys...
    1.) Pay Better
    2.) You're FRS
    3.) You're a big agency with a lot of different areas other than patrol

Also is it true that you guys only use 9mm for your sidearms? Also, I have a Bushmaster AR, will they let me use that?

1.) Pay Better
    2.) You're FRS

Also is it true that you guys only use 9mm for your sidearms? Also, I have a Bushmaster AR, will they let me use that?

You have to buy a Sig 9MM which cost $800+, No 40 cal. They don't want you hurt anyone, so shoot them 5-6 times with the 9MM if you want to stop them. Folks with 40 cal are grand fathered in. And Boca, actually treats their cops like human beings. And Miami & Miami Beach, have 1% funds pensions which cost them nothing. Miami cops are retiring with a check for around 250 grand depending on the market. Don't know what the beach guys are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    1.) Pay Better
    2.) You're FRS

You have to buy a Sig 9MM which cost $800+, No 40 cal. They don't want you hurt anyone, so shoot them 5-6 times with the 9MM if you want to stop them. Folks with 40 cal are grand fathered in. And Boca, actually treats their cops like human beings. And Miami & Miami Beach, have 1% funds pensions which cost them nothing. Miami cops are retiring with a check for around 250 grand depending on the market. Don't know what the beach guys are getting.
    We've been down this road before. The 1% isn't all what it's cracked up to be when you already contribute 8-10%. You could take 8% of your noncontributory pension and place it into a deferred comp or 401K and you will walk away with a lot more money than any city officer. I have a brother who works for Boca and a cousin at PBSO and both are great places to work. Boca PD contributes 9.8% to their retirement and pays in excess of $400 for a family with health care. PBSO issues rifles, shotguns, tasers, unlimited use of take home car, and they pay around 120 for a family on health care with vision and dental. Right now they buy the their own side arm but they are in the process of getting them issued now. Also, the Sheriff is offering a 457H and at not expense to the Deputy for health care after retirement. They have the FRS and like I said my cousin takes 8% and places it into his deferred comp and after 10 years he has more than 400,000 dollars in his account that is his at any time. So when he retires, he gets his full pension with a drop, and if he stay's on track he will have just about 1,000,000,000 in his deferred comp bank just contributing what most cities already have to contribute. If you are deadest against leaving Dade county, there are some great places down here like Miami Beach, and Miami but if you already have FRS, Miami Gardens and Doral have FRS. If I were you, I'd go north. Take care and be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast