Miami police investigate discovery of noose
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Miami police investigate discovery of noose

The Miami Police Department has launched an internal investigation into who left a noose, normally considered a symbol of racial venom, inside a station bathroom stall last week.

Sgt. James Marshall, who is black, last Thursday found the noose made from shoestring hanging from a railing inside the disabled stall of the south station, 2200 Beacon Ave.

Internal affairs investigators are not sure how long the noose had been there or if it was meant for Marshall -- or any officer.

''We're looking into what the intent is, who did it and what -- if any -- was the message behind it,'' said Miami Detective Delrish Moss, a spokesman.

Although detectives have not found who left the noose in the station last week, Miami police brass will begin sensitivity training for officers in the south station.

''From a preliminary look, we found some of the police officers didn't even know the symbolism of a noose,'' Moss said.

The discovery of the noose comes as lawmakers across the nation, including Miami-Dade County, want to toughen laws to make intentionally displaying a noose a hate crime.

There have been a rash of noose incidents nationwide in the wake of racial turmoil in Jena, La., where six black teenagers are facing charges for beating a white student. That incident followed the discovery of three nooses hung from a tree on school grounds by white students.

The noose has caught the attention of the Miami's Fraternal Order of Police, the department union, and the Miami Community Police Benevolent Association, a group that represents black officers.

Armando Aguilar, president of the FOP, believes the noose is a non-issue.

''There is no racial hatred in the department and the union has never been more united,'' he said, who speculated the noose was tied by a bored restroom-goer.

MCPBA President Vernell Reynolds took a harder stance.

''We're shocked there is a noose, period,'' she said. ``Across the country this has been an issue and I never thought we would have to face this.''

Unrelated to the incident, Miami-Dade County Commissioner Barbara J. Jordan is sponsoring a resolution urging state and federal lawmakers to strengthen hate crimes laws to include intentionally displaying a noose.

The resolution was scheduled to go Tuesday before Miami-Dade's budget and finance committee, which was canceled. If it passes, the resolution would go before the county commission.

''When you think of a swastika, you know it defines hatred. The same thing with a noose,'' Jordan said Wednesday. ``In the days of slavery, black people were carelessly hung with a noose because they were not considered to be human.''

I can just picture some guy taking a dump tying a noose and thinking it would be funny. Now we have to go to sesitivity training!

Noose

Dint we use to hang outlaws? :evil: Whats next?

Is not a Joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I can just picture some guy taking a dump tying a noose and thinking it would be funny. Now we have to go to sensitivity training!

This will probaly wind up like 90% of all the other "Noose" incidents around the country. Months later and $100k worth of tax payer money down the tubes, anger on both sides, angry "Community activists" screaming on the news about inequality, glass ceilings, and hostile workplace conditions......it'll wind up being a hoax.

Regardless of what it was supposed to mean it is a disgrace that that was placed there. I wonder what the reaction would be if it was a pro- Castro poster/ painting from the Cuban officer? Being a swastika or a fist, all are images of hate to the ethnicity that there are signifying. Bottom line is it's in poor judgement, unprofessional and inpropriate. Goes to shoe that racism still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Regardless of what it was supposed to mean it is a disgrace that that was placed there. I wonder what the reaction would be if it was a pro- Castro poster/ painting from the Cuban officer? Being a swastika or a fist, all are images of hate to the ethnicity that there are signifying. Bottom line is it's in poor judgement, unprofessional and inpropriate. Goes to shoe that racism still exist.
    And illiteracy... :roll:

I saw IA's most infamous detective on the case, they sent there topnotch whinner.

this place

This Department is falling apart again!! Amazing

O no not the south end O NOES........ Good i hate that place here comes the lectures

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast