I ask you, what is the real issue behind all the posts on this board? Is it really a desire to give progress to a community or is it self fulfillment? Why are there veiled insinuations and never any hard facts that can be corroborated? Can there be an ulterior motive behind all this? Are we supposed to believe that communities of larger cities have the answer to crime here in Cherokee County?

We are led to believe that the law enforcement in Cherokee County especially at the Sheriff’s Department is over paid, under trained, over staffed, lazy maniacal, half-wits who couldn’t perform even the simplest functions of law enforcement.

First, let’s look at the pay issue: How many people would try to feed a family and keep a house with pay that amounts to living just above the poverty level. One of the authors of posts insinuates that the officers receive more than adequate pay, however look at the area some of these authors come from and the retirements they are drawing and you will find they would not have worked for these kind of wages. I am sure the cost of living issue will arise on this one but considering how the cost of living has risen in this area I don’t see how that will factor in, but chime in if you feel like it.

Second look at the training issue. Several of the officers are college graduates, as well as numerous others are attending higher education institutions. Further, several of the officers have achieved advanced certifications and continue to seek additional ones. I ask you this, why do these officers continue to gain advanced education when no expectation of higher pay is involved? Maybe, it is because they truly care about the community and wish to provide better service. True that a reward of higher compensation would be great but pray tell where the funding would come from since many of you that post would make a public outcry over higher property or sales taxes.

Third, staffing issues are not uncommon in large departments and in all of the departments that service Cherokee County you can find that any one of them would love to have more officers. Crime has increased in Cherokee County but not because the dedicated officers are not trying to serve their community. Some times the problem of crime is more over whelming that a few dedicated individuals can conquer.

Crime and war are not issues that involve only those who choose to fight it. Like soldiers, law enforcement officers depend not only on what they bring to the table such as honesty and integrity and a desire to make a difference. Law enforcement officers like soldiers depend on the community to become involved. They must be supported by those they serve.

I ask the moral majority and persistent posters, how are you making things better for those that serve. Are you finding more money for the officers that would relieve some of the burdens of daily life? Are you joining the fight against crime by taking time to form community watches that are the extra eyes and ears of law enforcement? Are you lobbying in the State legislature to gain laws that help us fight the drug pushers that cause death, laws that the district attorney is willing to prosecute? I venture to say not.

What I have seen is that the attacks are more pointed to embarrass, harass, and maybe even alarm one or a few. The timing is coincidental to other events and other threats from disgruntled individuals. Nothing in any of the “fear factor posts” would tend to bring about change. All I have seen is that the “fear factor posts” keep everyone off guard and in some ways accomplish what the poster wants and that is fear of “who” he or she really is and what juicy details they may or may not know.

I extend this offer to the “purveyors of truth” you have assumed many times who I am or who I may be. If you have the “goods” in hand and feel that they need to be sent forward bring them forward and the truth will be sought. My Bible, God’s holy Word, tells me that truth will set us free. I serve a higher power than man. But, if you have nothing of substance and can not show where criminal acts are then now is the time to let it go and seek more appropriate ways of “helping law enforcement” and the community.

I am sure that this will bring about more pointed attacks but I truly hope that we can seek the truth and expose evil. The ball is in your court. God Bless