Off Duty Employment

Off Duty Employment

I noticed an email came out about Off Duty Employment.
    I guess Staff Inspections reads LEO Affairs. Maybe they'll do something about these "Secret" details at the dog track and Palm Beach Mansion.

Off-duty employment requests must be submitted prior to working any off-duty employment AND if conditions of the previously approved employment has changed, as outlined in GO 214.01 – Off-Duty Employment – Non Uniformed.

If your employment has NOT changed since your original request for extra-duty employment has been authorized, you do NOT need to submit an approval each year.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Thank you,

Kimberley D. Wilson
    Staff Inspections Division
    Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office

They are not secret and have been around for YEARS ! ! The dog track is always looking for more people....go apply....but it wont be at the rate permits get. But then again, you dont have to scramble for your hours either.....

From time to time fishy stuff does happen.....seems funny.....

Does anyone know when the fair came out??? I hear it came out late at night and was TOP SECRET....seems like a few who do not work at night seemed to know about it...or else they were just "lucky" to be at the right place at the right time.....seems like more TUNA to me. Just IMHO.

You are absolutely correct. They were laughing about it today in lineup. A few deputies knew in advance and have a ton of fair hours. It's all about who you know, the whole agency, from getting a job in a different unit to getting promoted. Just the way it works man.

Quote Originally Posted by tenfour
    You are absolutely correct. They were laughing about it today in lineup. A few deputies knew in advance and have a ton of fair hours. It's all about who you know, the whole agency, from getting a job in a different unit to getting promoted. Just the way it works man.
    Life is about whom you know. It worked that way in the last city PD I worked for, and it worked that way in corporate America in a corporation of nearly 25,000 employees nation wide. Get over it every agency operates that way. Whether we like it or not, it's life.

I didn't want to impose on your site, but I find it funny that "it's so wrong" is so naive. After spending 30 years in Law Enforcement up in Michigan I found the two places I worked for including a city PD and the State Police were all the same. I know left and work for Charleston PD in SC however I'm looking to come farther south. Based on my experiences, Law Enforcement is the same state-to-state and agency-to-agency. Favoritism is a part of life and in every profession. We don't have to like it, but it's not going to change. Stay safe

off duty employment

Anybody have any ideas on how to make the permit system fair? Should a sworn person who works details be in charge of it? Any suggestions?

how to make details fair

1. Instead of a lottery, use the last 2 numbers of id for the "lottery" selection. I.E. 01-33 gets jan, apr, jul, and oct. 34-66 gets feb, may, aug, and nov. and 67-00 gets mar, jun, sep and dec.

This would be a fair system with no possibility of fraud.

2. Require everybody to work at least 80% of the details they sign up for.

This would eliminate the individuals who use their friends', who do not work details, accounts to pick up better details or increase their chances of winning the lottery by placing their and their friends accounts in the lottery. This will also eliminate the "lets pick all of the details and give them to friends" users.

Boy did we ever get away fromthe topic of Off Duty Employment.......How do the depities working atht eh artsy festival in Jupiter get to set up a gig like that???

Re: Off Duty Employment

Then Elkanah her husband said to her, “Hannah, why do you weep? Why do you not eat? And why is your heart grieved? Am I not better to you than ten sons?”
    9 So Hannah arose after they had finished eating and drinking in Shiloh. Now Eli the priest was sitting on the seat by the doorpost of the tabernacle[c] of the LORD. 10 And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed to the LORD and wept in anguish. 11 Then she made a vow and said, “O LORD of hosts, if You will indeed look on the affliction of Your maidservant and remember me, and not forget Your maidservant, but will give Your maidservant a male child, then I will give him to the LORD all the days of his life, and no razor shall come upon his head.”
    12 And it happened, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli watched her mouth. 13 Now Hannah spoke in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard. Therefore Eli thought she was drunk. 14 So Eli said to her, “How long will you be drunk? Put your wine away from you!”
    15 But Hannah answered and said, “No, my lord, I am a woman of sorrowful spirit. I have drunk neither wine nor intoxicating drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD. 16 Do not consider your maidservant a wicked woman,[d] for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief I have spoken until now.”
    17 Then Eli answered and said, “Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of Him.”
    18 And she said, “Let your maidservant find favor in your sight.” So the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad.