Reserve two program

Reserve two program

I would like to learn more about the reserve deputy program. Is it any good and are they considered fully sworn and certified police in Florida.
    Any information would be appreciated.

Re: Reserve two program

Quote Originally Posted by Memonasty
    I would like to learn more about the reserve deputy program. Is it any good and are they considered fully sworn and certified police in Florida. Any information would be appreciated.
    First thing you need to ask yourself is why you are interested in the RII Program.

What do you mean by "is it any good"? Please clarify.

It's awesome if you want to simply offer your time to the HCSO. I've been an RII Deputy since 2006 and look forward to going out all the time. We are sworn in at graduation. We are not "fully Certified".

Click here for all the info:

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/reserve_...ty_program.htm

I would like to learn more about the reserve deputy program. Is it any good and are they considered fully sworn and certified police in Florida. Any information would be appreciated.
    One other thing: If you become a Reserve I Deputy, you are fully Certified.

I would like to learn more about the reserve deputy program. Is it any good and are they considered fully sworn and certified police in Florida.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Memonasty - RIIDep answered your questions above. There is also a very informative PDF here:

www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/reserve_deputy_200 ... puties.pdf

Additionally, you can call (813) 247-8615 for more information or attend one of the orientation meetings.

Here are the answers to some of the most frequent questions:

1) What are the requirements to join? Same as to be hired as a full timer (except for the boot camp). The Reserve program isn't a shortcut to "play cop" with a spotty past.
    2) Do I get paid? No, but you can work some paid off duties. You won't get rich doing it, but during football season it's pretty easy to make several hundred a month.
    3) Do I get to.....(carry a gun, drive a police car, pepper spray people, etc.). We are issued the same equipment (except a taser) as a regular, drive the same cars, and have virtually the same authority while on duty. However, rest assured that you will be carefully monitored. We will forgive and retrain for issues of stupidity, issues of being unethical will get you booted. Not fast enough for my taste, but they eventually weed you out.
    4) Is it fun? Can I use the siren? Yes, there will be occasions when you'll need to respond with emergency equipment activated. And yes, it is often fun. However, I'd say there is a 1000 to 1 ratio in not "fun" minutes to "fun" minutes. There's a lot of tedious work, boring details, and you'll wear out the seat of your pants before you wear out your boots. However, you are helping out (in a small way) some of the finest people you'll ever meet, and you get to work alongside some heroic men and women. Even on the most boring nights, I go home feeling like I did a good thing.

If you have more questions, or any specific questions, post them here or private message me and I'll help you out. I'm pretty selective as to whom I recommend, but if you are a stand up guy / gal I'll walk you through the process as we can always use more good people.

I have been a Reserve for years and I love it. HCSO has a great program. I've talked to TPD reserves who also love their program. Bottom line, both are great agencies to volunteer for but it really is a big commitment to be a reserve. If I had to choose an agency again, I would probably pick TPD, only because their are more off-duty jobs to work. I have alot of friends here at HCSO, whom I enjoy working with. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck.

Off duty....

Quote Originally Posted by Fellow Res
    I have been a Reserve for years and I love it. HCSO has a great program. I've talked to TPD reserves who also love their program. Bottom line, both are great agencies to volunteer for but it really is a big commitment to be a reserve. If I had to choose an agency again, I would probably pick TPD, only because their are more off-duty jobs to work. I have alot of friends here at HCSO, whom I enjoy working with. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck.
    I like TPD as well, if for no other reason than you get to work with Eric (EJ) Diaz. However, I think excessive off duty jobs have earned some ill will for the TPD Reserves. I think if there is even the slightest hint that you're taking an OD that a regular wants, that's some bad joo-joo.

Not to sound like a righteous SOB, but I joined the Reserves to help the regulars. If the office needs to fill an OD that no regular wants but needs to be filled for PR reasons, then I'll take it; otherwise I pass. That also means that I don't believe in ever whining about the number of off-duty jobs I do (or don't) get offered.

Not accusing you of any of the above, just putting in my two cents worth. Then again, as a Reserve, my opinion is free so you can keep the $0.02...

Does it help that I'm an EOT Transfer and I will be obtaining a Florida Police Certification, soon.

Efficiency is not our middle name....

Quote Originally Posted by memonasty
    Does it help that I'm an EOT Transfer and I will be obtaining a Florida Police Certification, soon.
    Unfortunately, no. For reasons I don't completely understand, conservation of effort does not occur in the recruiting and hiring process for the Reserves.

As an example, here's the path to come in as a Reserve II and then go full-time:

1) Entire application process
    2) Screening (background, fingerprint, polygraph, medical, etc.)
    3) Selection
    4) R2 Academy
    5) Modulars
    6) FTO
    7) Presto! You're an R2
    ---you want to go full-time---
    8. "Regular" academy (you can skip this if certified)
    9) Entire application process
    10) Screening (background, fingerprint, polygraph, medical, etc.)
    11) Selection
    12) Academy (I'm not clear on this but I think there's an issue with being certified before you're hired. You need to ask someone smarter than me about this part).
    13) Modulars
    14) FTO
    15) Presto! You're a regular!

Here's my advice:
    1) If you're looking to go full-time, have a decent job currently, I would apply for a regular position and skip the R2's as it could be a complete waste of your time to go through all those steps twice.
    2) If you THINK you MIGHT want to go full-time but are not sure (or not sure if HCSO is right for you), then I would whole heartedly recommend going through the R2's. You get a very realistic view of the office, Deputies, the work, etc. Personally I think HCSO is outstanding but as I've mentioned before I can't say that as an employee so YMMV.
    3) If you want to be a "regular" but want to keep your current job, I'd recommend the R1 program. There are quite a few restrictions on the R2's, but the R1's are effectively the same as a regular (minus the pay). The scuttlebutt is that if you're loyal to a District and put in a good amount of time (20 hours a week or more) then you can even get a take home car. I have heard some talk that R1's don't get picked up by the office as quick as an R2, but I can't confirm or deny that so you may want to investigate that if you're interested in ever going full-time.

One thing to note, if you're an R2 and you get certified, you're still an R2. Same restrictions apply to you as a non-certified R2.

Be advised if you sign on as an R2 and want to go R1, my understanding is that you go through the same "Lather. Rinse. Repeat" steps that I listed above. Better yet, if you sign on as R2, go to R1, then go full-time, you get to go through the entire process 3 times. I giggle just typing that.

Any more questions, feel free to post or private message me. Be advised that these are just my opinions and the process as I currently understand it. I do not speak for the R2 command staff nor do I speak for recruitment and screening.