Uniformed Division - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    ps: Unless things have changed, I don't know of any active UD working at a former Presidents house. SO maybe but not UD.

That makes sense to me. Sounds like a good allocation of resources.

Special Officers have lower qualification standards, are paid less than UD officers and have less training.

Why would management want to use the more expensive UD officers when the use of less expensive Special Officers gets the job done?

Maybe the SOs should be bitter because they don't have the pay and benefits of a UD officer!

:wink:
    Hi, I'm a cop from South Florida. I read this board because I have the highest respect for USSS, I've even looked into applying after I put in my five years here. I had a question, it appears as if there are three "classes" of Secret Service LEOS: Agents, Uniformed, and Special Officers. From what I've read on the Secret Service website, Agents enforce laws relating to the security of our nation's treasury and some protect the President and other government officials, Uniformed Division officers guard the White House, Foreign Embassies and the Naval Observatory, but what is the mission of Special Officers? Thank you for serving and stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by SFLASTREETCOP
    Hi, I'm a cop from South Florida. I read this board because I have the highest respect for USSS, I've even looked into applying after I put in my five years here. I had a question, it appears as if there are three "classes" of Secret Service LEOS: Agents, Uniformed, and Special Officers. From what I've read on the Secret Service website, Agents enforce laws relating to the security of our nation's treasury and some protect the President and other government officials, Uniformed Division officers guard the White House, Foreign Embassies and the Naval Observatory, but what is the mission of Special Officers? Thank you for serving and stay safe!
    SO's are in the same federal pay classification (1802)as two other USSS jobs, Operations Support Technicians (OST) and Protective Support Technicians (PST).

SOs primary job is protection of other USSS facilities, i.e. the Headquarters building and other facilities including the homes of former Presidents. The maintain fixed security posts at protected events like the UN or Democratic/Republican Conventions. With additional training over their basic academy they also operate protective vehicles in motorcades and may act as an EMT, firearms instructor, and/or CPR instructor.

SOs are either DC based, or based at a former President detail. Those that are DC based are in the non-high risk retirement and as such earn a lower retirement benefit but can be hired at any age. SOs at a former detail are high risk retirement earning a higher retirement benefit but can not be hired at any age above 40 due to retirement restrictions. There are about 200 SOs in the USSS SOs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory Special Officer

PSTs primary job is operate protective vehicles in motorcades. They are all DC based and are split up between the Presidential Protection Division (PPD), Vice Presidential Protection Division (VPD) and the Dignitary Protection Division (DPD) PSTs are high risk retirement earning a higher retirement benefit but can not be hired at any age above 40 due to retirement restrictions.I think there are about 75 PSTs. PSTs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory PST. There are two GS-12 PSTs

OSTs primary job is operation of protective vehicles in motorcades as well as operation of technical surveillance equipment in investigations. They may act as an EMT, firearms instructor, and/or CPR instructor. and in the offices they are assigned they are the fleet manager. OSTs are assigned to specific investigative field offices around the country in ones and twos, with a total of 50 OSTs around the country. OSTs are in the non-high risk retirement and as such earn a lower retirement benefit but can be hired at any age.OSTs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory OST. But with that said, most OSTs are a GS-9, which they attain after completing schools including driving and technical surveillance.

All of the three groups are authorized to carry firearms but SOs are the only ones with arrest authority.

SOs, PSTs and OSTs all attend the same academy at the USSS training facility in Maryalnd. Currently it's nine weeks long covering laws, control techniques, firearms, first aid, CPR as well as other things.

Due to the confusion over the retirement and arrest authority differences all three positions are currently under review, so some of these things may change.

Quote Originally Posted by SO/OST/PST
    Quote Originally Posted by SFLASTREETCOP
    SO's are in the same federal pay classification (1802)as two other USSS jobs, Operations Support Technicians (OST) and Protective Support Technicians (PST).

SOs primary job is protection of other USSS facilities, i.e. the Headquarters building and other facilities including the homes of former Presidents. The maintain fixed security posts at protected events like the UN or Democratic/Republican Conventions. With additional training over their basic academy they also operate protective vehicles in motorcades and may act as an EMT, firearms instructor, and/or CPR instructor.

SOs are either DC based, or based at a former President detail. Those that are DC based are in the non-high risk retirement and as such earn a lower retirement benefit but can be hired at any age. SOs at a former detail are high risk retirement earning a higher retirement benefit but can not be hired at any age above 40 due to retirement restrictions. There are about 200 SOs in the USSS SOs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory Special Officer

PSTs primary job is operate protective vehicles in motorcades. They are all DC based and are split up between the Presidential Protection Division (PPD), Vice Presidential Protection Division (VPD) and the Dignitary Protection Division (DPD) PSTs are high risk retirement earning a higher retirement benefit but can not be hired at any age above 40 due to retirement restrictions.I think there are about 75 PSTs. PSTs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory PST. There are two GS-12 PSTs

OSTs primary job is operation of protective vehicles in motorcades as well as operation of technical surveillance equipment in investigations. They may act as an EMT, firearms instructor, and/or CPR instructor. and in the offices they are assigned they are the fleet manager. OSTs are assigned to specific investigative field offices around the country in ones and twos, with a total of 50 OSTs around the country. OSTs are in the non-high risk retirement and as such earn a lower retirement benefit but can be hired at any age.OSTs are a "working grade" GS-8 with promotion potential of GS-11 as a Supervisory OST. But with that said, most OSTs are a GS-9, which they attain after completing schools including driving and technical surveillance.

All of the three groups are authorized to carry firearms but SOs are the only ones with arrest authority.

SOs, PSTs and OSTs all attend the same academy at the USSS training facility in Maryalnd. Currently it's nine weeks long covering laws, control techniques, firearms, first aid, CPR as well as other things.

Due to the confusion over the retirement and arrest authority differences all three positions are currently under review, so some of these things may change.
    Thank you! I have the greatest respect for USSS, and your response furthers my belief that USSS are some of the most professional law enforcers in the world. I've done a few Mayor's Protective Details with my city and I absolutely love it. Thanks again, Agent.

I had another question about the Uniformed Division. I noticed the UD has a Crime Scene Unit (a rather extensive one, from what I've seen). Do they assist Metro PD and other agencies? I just can't imagine there many crimes or incidents (if any at all) at facilities under the protection of the Secret Service. Thanks and stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    I had another question about the Uniformed Division. I noticed the UD has a Crime Scene Unit (a rather extensive one, from what I've seen). Do they assist Metro PD and other agencies? I just can't imagine there many crimes or incidents (if any at all) at facilities under the protection of the Secret Service. Thanks and stay safe!
    Yes the UD Crime Scene Unit assists where they can but they assist MPDC the most. The UD has pretty much the same powers as MPDC. We are not limited to facilities under the protection of the SS. The UD street cop can be called to handle any crime in his /her zone. Please do not under estimate the authority of the UD, let the Agents do that. The UD has made many good cases and the Crime Scene Unit is one of the best in the area.

UD Service

Listen I have had the multiple pleasure of interacting with many of you guys while up in DC for Police Memorial week and on other trips. You guys are the real deal COPS. Let the College Boys, think what they want, while they are home sleeping, you guys are there making sure the President of the Most Powerful Nation in the world is secure. Thanks for all you guys do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12