Uniformed Division
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uniformed Division

Any feedback on the Uniformed Division? After 15 years of Municipal and Military Policing, seems like this would be a good job. Is housing hard to find in the D.C. area? Any other interesting facts I should know before applying?

Re: Uniformed Division

Quote Originally Posted by Armycop
    Any feedback on the Uniformed Division? After 15 years of Municipal and Military Policing, seems like this would be a good job. Is housing hard to find in the D.C. area? Any other interesting facts I should know before applying?

Uniformed Division people earn less than Agents but this is compensated for by the fact that they don't have the same travel requirements. Some UD officers DO travel, setting up magnetometers at events where the President appears.

However, there is shift work and the winters in DC can be harsh, particularly on night shift. There is a certain amount of street patrol work in DC, mostly around foreign embassies.

Also, be aware that UD officers are not all in DC. They are also at the official homes of the former Presidents.

Housing isn't hard to find in the DC area - just EXPENSIVE.

If you are seriously interested in UD I suggest you contact the Secret Service office in Tampa and ask for an opportunity to come in for an interview in order to get more details and see what your prospects of being hired might be.

Best wishes.

Uniformed Division

Your response is greatly appreciated, I will certainly contact the Tampa Office for details.

You might also want to look at the USSS UD web page.

It has a lot of information about UD on it.

http://www.secretservice.gov/whoweare_ud.shtml

Best wishes.

If you listen to an Agent about what the Uniformed Division is all about they will tell you we were and are the scum of the earth. This has been going on from the start. Go to the web site, do your homework. Do anything you can to come up with your own opinion of the UD. DO NOT listen to the opinions of any Agent. Good luck in your job search.

Since your are already a certified LEO, you are a valuable commodity these days. After 9/11 many have chosen other career paths. Look, and listen to those already there. But do not limit your options. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by RETUD
    If you listen to an Agent about what the Uniformed Division is all about they will tell you we were and are the scum of the earth. This has been going on from the start. Go to the web site, do your homework. Do anything you can to come up with your own opinion of the UD. DO NOT listen to the opinions of any Agent. Good luck in your job search.

The poster needs to get over his bitterness.

The fact continues to be that UD is an excellent job compared to similar police work at the local level. In addition, the retirement is generally much better than what is available to local police, particularly with regard to the health insurance coverage.

Don't compare UD to the agents; compare UD to local police. You'll see it can be quite rewarding.

Best wishes.

"Rewarding", what planet are you from. Where is my reward in the form of a pay raise as a retired UD member that was law and still is. "Rewarding", why is the UDRA still fighting for this pay that we DESERVE. Why does it keep getting shot down by the House and Senate for years and years. And the biggest question, why won't the AFAUSSS back and support the UDRA in this quest to get our bill passed that we are due and DESERVE as the law reads. "Rewarding", oh great I was able to bring my health insurance with me into retirement, WOW. Why wasn't I able to bring my pay raise into retirement. I'll tell you why because with the stroke of a pen the SS changed the wording in the law but that did not change the law. We still DESERVE the pay that the 1811's don't want us to have. Go to a local PD and stay away from the UD, at least they support and back there retirees.

ps: Unless things have changed, I don't know of any active UD working at a former Presidents house. SO maybe but not UD.

Bitter, you don't know what bitter is unless you where with UD. So enjoy your ride on that gravey train.

There are "rewards" other than money, including working conditions, health insurance, life insurance, vacation, job satisfaction and other benefits.

But, the fact is that UD money, active and retired, is generally superior to what local law enforcement officers across the country make.

And, as a deputy sheriff I can tell you that in my area retirees pay the entire cost of their health insurance which I'm sure has coverage inferior to yours. Further, the cost for the self and family coverage is about $800 a month!!!

There is also a cap on how much vacation and sick leave we can accrue. UD sick leave can be accrued without limit

UD officers in the military reserves are moved into the retired reserves, standby reserves or discharged.

I presently have many co-workers who were in the reserves who have been called away from their deputy sheriff positions and are serving extended tours of duty in Afghanistan or Iraq.

By the way at my office you are not even considered for employment unless you have at least a two year degree and most of those hired actually have a four year college degree. UD only requires a high school degree or equivalent while Agents must have a four year degree.

But, as I said --- don't compare UD to Agents when deciding on a career move, compare UD to local law enforcement positions.

You don't know how good you have it.

:!:

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    ps: Unless things have changed, I don't know of any active UD working at a former Presidents house. SO maybe but not UD.

That makes sense to me. Sounds like a good allocation of resources.

Special Officers have lower qualification standards, are paid less than UD officers and have less training.

Why would management want to use the more expensive UD officers when the use of less expensive Special Officers gets the job done?

Maybe the SOs should be bitter because they don't have the pay and benefits of a UD officer!

:wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast