Reminder - PBSO

Thread: Reminder - PBSO

Reminder - PBSO

Not to be a downer, but if you haven't already please take time to go post your condolences in the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office forum. They lost two Deputies during a sig-10 pursuit and would have lost a 3rd had it not been for the x12 trainee riding with him. I think it is appreciated by the surviving families to see postings of support from other LEO's, but that's just my opinion.

While viewing some of their messages, I ran across a posting from one of their recent retirees. It looks to be original content and I thought it might strike a chord with some of you (emphasis mine):

"Regular people will never understand the tight union between men and women in uniform.

1-They don't know what it's like to work with people who would put their own life at risk to save someone.

2-They don't know what it's like to rush into the middle of a fight or dangerous situation while others are running away.

3-They don't know how hard it is to only be able to discuss your true feelings or problems with another cop over a cup of coffee

4-They don't know that police work is not a job-but a way of life for us. We never rest. When out with our families, we are always armed and watching for things going wrong

5-They don't know how we respect each other and are always willing to sacrifice for a fellow cop-no matter the color of uniform

BUT WE KNOW

1-We know what it's like to see your backup arrive because you trust them to help and protect you

2-We know that it's ingrained in us to help others and that we do it without hesitation because tomorrow it may be me

3-We know there is no better friend than a fellow cop you trust with your innermost feelings and frustrations. We counsel each other because no one else can really understand.

4-We know that society is going to hell and that we must help and be aware 24/7. We also know that we don't do it as much because of training but because real cops feel a true sense of sacrifice to the community.

5-We know that every different uniform is still a brother or sister who would be willing to sacrifice if called upon.

This knowledge is what makes retiring so hard. I retired a few weeks ago from PBSO and I truly miss each and everyone who works there. LE was my life and it was a good one. I miss the midnight coffee with an understanding friend and I miss the feeling of being protected by others who understand. I would gladly trade golf and fishing to be able to once again serve with the finest men and women I have ever known. I miss having a true purpose in life to serve and protect.

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU"

Senior Member LEO Affairs Corporal

Re: Reminder - PBSO

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy

"Regular people will never understand the tight union between men and women in uniform.

1-They don't know what it's like to work with people who would put their own life at risk to save someone.

2-They don't know what it's like to rush into the middle of a fight or dangerous situation while others are running away.

3-They don't know how hard it is to only be able to discuss your true feelings or problems with another cop over a cup of coffee

4-They don't know that police work is not a job-but a way of life for us. We never rest. When out with our families, we are always armed and watching for things going wrong

5-They don't know how we respect each other and are always willing to sacrifice for a fellow cop-no matter the color of uniform

BUT WE KNOW

1-We know what it's like to see your backup arrive because you trust them to help and protect you

2-We know that it's ingrained in us to help others and that we do it without hesitation because tomorrow it may be me

3-We know there is no better friend than a fellow cop you trust with your innermost feelings and frustrations. We counsel each other because no one else can really understand.

4-We know that society is going to hell and that we must help and be aware 24/7. We also know that we don't do it as much because of training but because real cops feel a true sense of sacrifice to the community.

5-We know that every different uniform is still a brother or sister who would be willing to sacrifice if called upon.

This knowledge is what makes retiring so hard. I retired a few weeks ago from PBSO and I truly miss each and everyone who works there. LE was my life and it was a good one. I miss the midnight coffee with an understanding friend and I miss the feeling of being protected by others who understand. I would gladly trade golf and fishing to be able to once again serve with the finest men and women I have ever known. I miss having a true purpose in life to serve and protect.

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU"

EXCELLENT POST!

You've captured many of my feelings. I retired from HCSO in early 2002 and reluctantly left the Reserve program at the end of 2002 to attend to my wife's health problems.

Ever since then I have maintained my contacts with many of my friends from the office, having had lunch with six of them (a mix of active and retired) as recently as yesterday.

With regard to What Regular People Don't Know, #4, it pains me to see some of the newer people in law enforcement who approach this career with an attitude of "it's only a job." I've seen this in particular on the thread of another agency which prides itself on being the highest paid in the area. It may be that it is only a vocal minority that takes this attitude - I hope so. To me it was, and is, a way of life as exemplified in Dave Grossman's famous essay on Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs.

http://www.blackwaterusa.com/btw2004...0726sheep.html

fltoddy, although we have never met, we are brothers!