Quote Originally Posted by fan-splatter
In October, The Miami Herald published its findings from a spot-check of thousands of police reports documenting crimes from this year. The newspaper found dozens of reports that classified crimes as less-serious offenses than the facts in the reports would suggest. An apparent home burglary, for example, was categorized as a less-serious theft. An attempted car theft was labeled criminal mischief.

we're the first ones on the scene that can determine between a 27m, in which property was actually taken, and a 28, in which a window was broken, for example, but nothing was taken. if you want to spin it such that if a 34 occurs between two people, and there are no threats of bodily harm, but the victim is crying and scared, then that would warrant a 32 report? give me a break! how far is this going to trickle down? i understand that when signals are changed upstairs, you have to wonder why, but looking at report narratives and discerning that we erred in calling it what it was, even if it could've been an attempted 29/26/27 but the crime was not actually carried out? please tell me this is not what they are doing!