What can we do?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What can we do?

What can we do?

Im curious what would have to be done to raise the minimum staffing.

Is it something we as officers in a union can do? I think this is a serious issue that should be addressed.

Its great when Y units are on the road. Even though they do their own thing at least you know you have a good 94 and pro-active work is being done.

With min staffing, if there are 2 calls east side that require a 94 there is one guy left hangin with no 94 if he needs one. West is worse with nobody on the road.

It seems like call volumes are higher and the road is shorter. We have no presence in the city right now.

We can first start off by listening to the radio and not going 51-10, or 51-40 when everyone else is 10-06. Stop canceling your 10-94, if there is no one available maybe that ticket isnt worth getting shot over. The next thing is to watch my back and Ill watch yours, we are all in this together.

Yankee units?? Proactive in traffic stops only/.. And as far as cancelling your 94's. Lets see if a unit is coming from 3 miles away in bumper to bumper taffic what good is it. You know what's ironic. A sierra unit can go 50 all day long in their unmarked (against policy may I add) but never goes 97/94 for 10-50. Interesting huh? Good to think about. Misd arrest, tickets and wattant arrests will get you recognition or atleast a detectives position just ask marvelous mark st.

Manpower

It really not that hard. Move most of the SRO's back to the road. CPTC are just there to be the chiefs personal secretary. If the chief would stop trying to please every resident so he won’t look bad we would have more time to work.

The department I came from had the command staff do the pio duties. I have never seen more people assigned to other agencies units and do nothing. If we take these people and move them back to the road it will be the largest squad with manpower twice as much as what we have now.

We have too much waste and it will be like this until there is a change. The union can only complain and has but like everything else nothing happens. The problem is at the top where they have no clue what we need or do out here.

Quote Originally Posted by noclue2
    Yankee units?? Proactive in traffic stops only/.. And as far as cancelling your 94's. Lets see if a unit is coming from 3 miles away in bumper to bumper taffic what good is it. You know what's ironic. A sierra unit can go 50 all day long in their unmarked (against policy may I add) but never goes 97/94 for 10-50. Interesting huh? Good to think about. Misd arrest, tickets and wattant arrests will get you recognition or atleast a detectives position just ask marvelous mark st.
    If you think you can do a better job at it, then maybe you should come work as a yankee unit. And please tell me the policy# that says going 10-50 in an unmarked is against policy. Cause if that is the case I guess detectives, south broward, unmarked traffic cars, and undercover vehicles are not allowed to make traffic stops. Trust me when I tell you that us yankee units are salivating at the opportunity to do more. We are limited by our chain of command. Every time we try to do something we get slapped in the face and told no. The big "L" word is why they are afraid to let us do what we really need to do.

I agree

These are to most accurate comments I have read. Some other nut tried to say Maj RB was the best in Admin. He is the one that limits all of us in what we do. He blames everything on CALEA. The dude has no idea how to do police work. Just look at his resume. 1 year as a raod cop 20 years ago, then in DB to sgt in IA then capt in IA and MAjor in IA. Where is the road time? None. Thats why we struggle out here. Name one person on that command staff that know what the road is like? See you in a month after you are done trying to figure that one out.

PUT SOMEONE IN CHARGE THAT KNOWS WHAT WE DO OUT HERE!

Don't bash Y2-Y9, they are good people. Lets look at the last time the yke units did something really "street crimes" style. They set up on a gang meeting in a local park, chased a gang member into dade (along with their supervisor who was in actively engaged in a pursuit in an unmarked vehicle-NOW THAT IS A LITTLE 10-31) and then caught the bad guy (a gang member who's name won't be mentioned here because he is still in jail and part of an ongoing investigation). They were given an "atta boy" and told to come in the office to sign their written reprimand (except for their sgt. who was part of the pursuit but was not written up). But hey guys, go out there and catch some more bad guys in your marked units.

Cpt. P and Maj. B would be my choice. Yes everybody has their quirks but these two are in their positions because they were too proactive. Casually ask them if they would rather be in charge of the road people and see their response.

Quote Originally Posted by Road Guy
    Cpt. P and Maj. B would be my choice. Yes everybody has their quirks but these two are in their positions because they were too proactive. Casually ask them if they would rather be in charge of the road people and see their response.
    That's affirmative!

finally we all agree on something

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast