Bell tosses hat in for sheriff's race

10/02/07

A 25-year veteran officer is seeking the top spot

SARASOTA -- Calling it a "grassroots" campaign, Jeff Bell announced his bid for Sarasota County sheriff Monday.

"It was important to tell both areas of the county that I am ready to be the next sheriff of Sarasota County," said Bell, captain of the Sheriff's Office's special investigation unit. "Sarasota is a big county and I want people to know they should have representation from New Town, Osprey, Warm Mineral Springs to the keys (Lido and Siesta)."

Bell, 46, said he wants to take a common sense approach as the leader of the Sheriff's Office.

"We have qualified people who can review the budget and make sound decisions," said Bell. "It's easy to say we should make cuts, but there are state mandates that cannot be cut. And in other areas, it's not safe to cut. For example, you can't cut bailiffs from the court or it will not be as safe for people."

Bell said while high-dollar equipment, such as the department's helicopter, is scrutinized, he's open to looking at other solutions from experienced individuals in the department.

"We have experts and we need to utilize them," he said. "We need to recruit more people who have knowledge and experience to make this a safe and responsible organization. Efficiency is important."

In his 25 years with the department, Bell has worked as a road patrol officer, investigator, narcotics supervisor of North and South county and numerous other supervisory positions. He worked the Carlie Brucia case.

Years of experience, he said, will help taxpayers be confident they are getting a qualified individual who is "dedicated" to running the department.

"It's important to understand we work for the taxpayers," he said. "I don't think it's all right to say threatening to close the South County jail would be a pawn to the taxpayers. When I become sheriff, I would not ever use the South County jail as a bargaining chip. All people in the county need representation."

Bell said a new jail isn't a decision he would make.

"It's up to government to make those decisions," he said.

Bell has been married for more than 20 years. He has two sons who are pursuing military careers.

Sarasota County Sheriff Bill Balkwill announced this summer he plans to retire next year.

Staff Report

Bell is a good guy. Im not telling people to vote for him because thats not my place. Im just telling people to give him a fair look and I think most will like him.

Quote Originally Posted by sso
    Bell is a good guy. Im not telling people to vote for him because thats not my place. Im just telling people to give him a fair look and I think most will like him.
    Have known him since he was in the LEO academy at the then Sarasota VocTech in "83". He had a lot more hair then, but his love for the job has not change at all.
    I think he would work out very well if elected.

i will vote for dunklee