Looking to transfer to VC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking to transfer to VC

Hi, all. I am currently working on the west coast and am looking to relocate to VC. I have 2 years experience. Right now I am considering VCSO, as I have heard nothing but good about them, but am also considering smaller PD's. How is Daytona Beach? How is the morale of the SO and surrounding agencies?

Thanks in advance, everyone. Take care of each other and watch your 6.

VCSO pay is incredibly low and the county commission recently told the SO to go F*CK themselves by giving a 2% raise (and removed the 2% merit pay also) and forcing new standards on them. That's not even cost of living.

Among the new standards - all new hires at VCSO are now required to agree to no tobacco use (on or off duty) and you must pass the PAT test EVERY year for continued employment - all for a new and improved $15.09/Hr. Failure or violation of either requirement will result in employment termination.

No other agency in the state requires the PAT every year!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    http://forums.leoaffairs.com/viewtopic. ... 4&start=30

Quote Originally Posted by polkster
    What SO is that at $15.09 an hour??? It's gotta be a small rural county!
    Volusia Sheriff's Office Salary
    http://www.volusia.org/sheriff/Become%2 ... salary.htm

Reserve Deputy.......................$11.43/hr - $15.84/hr.
    Deputy II.................................$14.79/hr - $22.63/hr.
    Corporal................................. 17.03/hr - $26.08/hr.
    Sergeant................................ $17.03/hr - $26.08/hr.

Salary prior to the 2% raise. Now deputies are at $15.09/Hr. The "salary ranges" are of no use as everyone is at the minimum. Deputy II is a regular deputy and their are no Corporals anymore. Department has about 464 sworn (larger then Seminole 321 or Osceola 336, and nearly the same as Brevard 474).

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/cjap/2 ... so_le.html
    FDLE CJAP
    Volusia County Sheriff's Office. They're not that small.

Morale is also pretty low (at the same level of the wonderful pay raise). Might be because of election year issues. Also Deltona and Debary are looking at starting their own police departments (instead of contracting with the Sheriff's Office).

No Money. Low Morale. No Tobacco. Physical Agility test every year. Go somewhere else, like FHP.

wait till a few people get injuried on the "mandatory" PAT....see how long it last then when the worker's comp. starts flowing....hehe....IDIOTS

Quote Originally Posted by dan1065cf
    wait till a few people get injuried on the "mandatory" PAT....see how long it last then when the worker's comp. starts flowing....hehe....IDIOTS
    That is an excellent point! It may cost the county more than they bargained for.

I agree. The county has tunnel vision. Whether it is the fire-fighters, teachers or the deputies; we are not being treated very fairly or as a valued employee.

It would be one thing if the county council said they simply did not have money for raises and that was that. However, it is (insert long list of expletives here) to raise hiring standards and restrictions while telling the working people to bend over and take it in the arse.

I agree. If there is not money for raises...then okay. But why give up and agree to things (tobacco policy and fitness test).

I think other agencies looking at unions should see what the Teamsters are doing for Volusia County.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast