Tactical vs. Strategic

Tactical vs. Strategic

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    In one of my previous posts, I mentioned the value of strategic solutions as opposed to a tactical response to an incident. I believe elaborating on this may assist us to maintain perspective on our current predicament.
    As we all know, a tactical response, usually involves immediate action. Not to say well thought out or planned. Tactical operations rely on three main principles
    1. Surprise of Engagement
    2. Swiftness of Execution
    3. Violence of Action
    The main goal of these principles, is to overwhelm an opponent once an engagement has been initiated.
    Another effect of a tactical solution is that it usually very visible to those immediately surround the scene. Anyone who has been near a SWAT engagement, or conversely, directly involved in an operation, can tell you it's loud, fast, and if you're the target, confusing.
    As far as how it looks to an uninformed bystander, it's extremely impressive. To them it's a great show.
    Strategic engagements however, are the complete opposite. They are frequently low key, low-intensity. Most people don't even realize that's it's happening until it's too late.
    Now to the main point, even though tactical are quick and very obvious, they are meant to deal with a particular threat, but rarely have any long term effect. The dope dealer on the corner gets chased by PST, SWAT, take your pick, he goes to jail for a day.
    SIS conducts a long term under-cover investigation, involving numerous purchases and/or surveillance, building a solid case. That offender faces the possibility of the rest of their lives in prison.
    Morale of the story, just because something may make a great show to the public, doesn't mean it will have any real long term effect.
    This applies to our current situation with the administration in the following way. There is a time to protest and make public our concerns. But there is also time to gather information and disseminate that information at the time of our choosing. Far better to force an opponent into an undefendeable position than to give them windows to escape.
    Accomplishing this is usually time consuming and does tend to try ones patience, but does provide the greatest effect.
    So, just because the FOP may not appear to be overly active, give it time, everyone is anxious and it's well known, but things are quietly happening that will come to light soon enough.
    There is a saying in Spanish, Guerra anunciado, no mata soldado. For my brothers and sisters who don't speak Spanish, it loosely translates to, An advised war, will kill no soldiers.
    Food for thought people.

hey!

are you that litle guy that works in the cafeteria?

I do not know who Thanatos may be, but he write well, and makes very valid points.

Thanatos, did you ever know John Brooks and how he destroyed some great officers in order to get promoted? Can you shed any light on this subject because inquiring minds need to know ASAP. The scumbag is about to land a job at Sunrise as Chief. Frank Casanovas can then go work for him, Frank never would have made here today if were not for his godfather Brooks and Burmaster.

I heard they used to call him John make me look good Brooks when he ran the Task Force. He wanted so bad to get promoted he would do just about anything to make himself look good.

Timoney's Mini Me Version

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Guest
    I heard they used to call him John make me look good Brooks when he ran the Task Force. He wanted so bad to get promoted he would do just about anything to make himself look good.
    Brooks is John F. Timoney's South Florida's mini me version! That should say it all! A man cannot say no . . . to camera face time! So much so that it was his professional demise when the Feds took Ilian out!

To cafeconleche,
    Yes, you uncovered my secret identity!!!! Flan and cortaditos for you!!!!LOL

To Guest inquiring about John Brooks,
    I had very limited contact with him while he was here. There were a few years between the time I was hired and when he was forced to leave.
    However, I was a grunt on patrol and our paths did not cross.
    There are a few others on this site who apparently have had some negative experiences with him. My advice, take their statements with a grain of salt.
    As far as the Elian incident which forced him, as well as Chief O'Brien, to leave. There are many times in our careers where we find ourselves having to put aside our personal feelings regarding an issue and carry out our assigned duties.
    As a Police Department, should a federal law enforcement agency request our assistance, we do have a duty to provide support.
    Unfortunately, because of the political climate at the time, they were sacrificied to appease constituents.

Thanatos, I did work around John Brooks for several years and saw the man in action numerous times. I certainly wouldn't want him as a chief in a department I worked at. He is all about one thing...himself. 'Nuff said.