Letter to the Editor (ref crime stats)

Letter to the Editor (ref crime stats)

Miami Herald

A response to '33054'(Opa-Locka): Guns and Teens in South Florida', which appeared Aug. 12:

? This is a prime example why COMPSTAT, NYPD's Jack Maple and William Bratton's brilliant concept has failed in Miami-Dade! Previous and current police managers have known that crime, violent crime, in this Zip Code was rampant, but their misguided attempts to deter the trend was futile at best. Why? Emphasis on numbers, arrests that is, in lieu of a comprehensive strategy to arrest the trend. Crime exist in an environment that is propitious for the trend to flourish. When police dominate the environment, crime does not germinate. The same is happening in the city of Miami: Sergeants, are ordered by higher ups to ''produce'' and a lay person might ask: Produce what? Arrest statistics! Officers are scolded if they don't effect large numbers of Drinking In Public Arrests, possession of Milk Crates [yes it is a crime FSS 506.508] and other meaningless misdemeanor arrests. Meanwhile, major crimes are perpetrated with impunity. . . .
    -- Taxpayer

My Milk crates

Wow!!!, Im glad someone is doing somthing about my stolen milk crates.. Can I get them back? Are they in evidence? or in the back of police vehicles holding equipment and reports?

Elsie