Future MPO

Thread: Future MPO

Future MPO

So as I go through the hiring process and start preparing for the possible acceptance to the academy...Is there anything that I should prepare for? My classroom skills I am not bad in the physical might be an issue for my age (38) not a spring chicken like the young kids going in at 21. I do hit the gym 5 days a week and work on cardio as well running about 2.5 miles every other day.

I know the academy will not be a cake walk, I know the badge is earned and not given. I know that they have to break you down in order to build you up into being a good officer. I know not to take the ridicule personally its part of the training. I believe in hard work and no short cuts, I am a strong believer in teamwork and never have I turned my back on a teammate that needed help. If I can get a few pointers from you guys who already went through some of the do's and don'ts I would really appreciate it. I've never wanted anything so badly...and at my age I don't have many chances at this. So any pointer would be welcomed I promise to thank you once I get through and have earned the right to call myself and Officer for the City of Miami.

LJA22

My brother,the academy is a cake walk. This is not the 80's when you earned it with blood sweat and tears.
    Dont worry physically but do study once there and you will fly through it!
    Good luck and take your meds.

A SPECIAL CALLING CAN YOU MEASURE UP?

Quote Originally Posted by cake walk
    My brother, the academy is a cake walk. This is not the 80's when you earned it with blood sweat and tears.
    Dont worry physically but do study once there and you will fly through it!
    Good luck and take your meds.
    My fellow (future) officers, contrary to what you might read on this forum, the police academy it's not a cake walk. It might not be as grueling as it was in the 80's or 1972 when I started, but a cake walk it is not. Still, if you are committed to being the best street cop you can forge yourself into, NOTHING can keep you from it but you! Ours is not a job, it is a vocation a calling that many answer but few can walk the walk! Yes, the current administration has made our glorious vocation into an almost unbearable drudge, but because it is our calling, we persevere and carry on! With new, sane, fair and objective leadership, the Miami Police Department will once again be a leader among leaders in Miami-Dade, Florida and National law enforcement circles. It will not be about the chief, it will be about the men and women of the Miami Police who day after day answer the call of duty knowing fully it could be their last! Do not allow anyone or anything dissuade you from your goal to be among the best cops in the nation! Remember, only you can derail your goal!

Re: Future MPO

Quote Originally Posted by LJA22
    My classroom skills I am not bad in the physical might be an issue for my age (38) not a spring chicken like the young kids going in at 21. I do hit the gym 5 days a week and work on cardio as well running about 2.5 miles every other day.

LJA22
    What does age have to do with the FACT if you?re a good officer or not... I know Officers who are much younger than most of these guys out there and have been officer of the month for many months in a ROW! So just to inform you AGE is not a factor in weather you'll be a good cop or not. I'm sure you'll NEVER accomplish what a YOUNGER officer will in their career! Just hope you don't think your BIG SHIT! Because if you do I'm more than sure your TA or FTO will show you other wise... Oh... Not to mention maybe your FTO will be YOUNGER than you! :lol: :x

Quote Originally Posted by OMG HERE WE GO....
    My classroom skills I am not bad in the physical might be an issue for my age (38) not a spring chicken like the young kids going in at 21. I do hit the gym 5 days a week and work on cardio as well running about 2.5 miles every other day.

LJA22
    What does age have to do with the FACT if you?re a good officer or not... I know Officers who are much younger than most of these guys out there and have been officer of the month for many months in a ROW! So just to inform you AGE is not a factor in weather you'll be a good cop or not. I'm sure you'll NEVER accomplish what a YOUNGER officer will in their career! Just hope you don't think your BIG shizzat! Because if you do I'm more than sure your TA or FTO will show you other wise... Oh... Not to mention maybe your FTO will be YOUNGER than you! :lol: :x
    I think if you re-read what he wrote he's not claiming his age will be a factor in being a good cop or bad cop on the street. Anyone in their 30's is still young and able to handle his own. I think what he wants to know is how grulling will the academy be physically and will he be able to keep up with the young guns.

My answer to that is keep working hard you seem like your head is in the right place. You can't get fired for the physical part, they want to see you try and you are putting in your best everyday. Don't get caught trying to slack because you will be made an example. Don't let your head swell up, they will deflate you quick pay attention to detail and make sure you study, study, study. Okay Grandpa...yeah get used to it. It's part of becoming part of the brotherhood, the thin blue line.

Bolo Loco

just study and learn how to say sir many times

So as I go through the hiring process and start preparing for the possible acceptance to the academy...Is there anything that I should prepare for? My classroom skills I am not bad in the physical might be an issue for my age (38) not a spring chicken like the young kids going in at 21. I do hit the gym 5 days a week and work on cardio as well running about 2.5 miles every other day.

I know the academy will not be a cake walk, I know the badge is earned and not given. I know that they have to break you down in order to build you up into being a good officer. I know not to take the ridicule personally its part of the training. I believe in hard work and no short cuts, I am a strong believer in teamwork and never have I turned my back on a teammate that needed help. If I can get a few pointers from you guys who already went through some of the do's and don'ts I would really appreciate it. I've never wanted anything so badly...and at my age I don't have many chances at this. So any pointer would be welcomed I promise to thank you once I get through and have earned the right to call myself and Officer for the City of Miami.

LJA22
    Well, I am with you LJA22! Hopefully, we make it through the process and get accepted to the academy. See you there!