Greetings
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

Greetings

I noticed you guys have a page here now, and just thought i would drop in and say hello. ISP was a GREAT outfit when I lived in Indiana, and I hope it still is. I couldnt get on because of the un-corrected eye sight requirements I used to work in New Chicago (82-85) and moved to FLorida and now work for Palm Beach County Sheriffs Dept in West Palm Beach.
    Does anyone remember a Trooper from back in the early 80s? He was a skinny littel runt of a guy, but he must have been the DUI KING ! ! He at 1st had a marked car, and then got an unmarked before i left the area.
    Seemed like a pretty good guy too. We had a contest to see who could get the most DUI's for a month, and he BLEW ME AWAY ! ! Wish I could remember his name. He probably is retired now. Take care.

Re: Greetings

Several years ago, on the 4th of July, I met a trooper by the last name of Shoemacher. I believed he worked out of Connersville Post. Anyway, I was on vacation and he pulled me over ????? gave me a ticket for not having a baby seat for one of my nieces who was riding in my van. Anyway, I never pulled the badge or said anything,(I know he saw my FOP decal and Florida plates). He was such a hot dog I thought he was going to shoot me or something. I figured he was trying to fight crime and catch all the bad guys in his first year. Anyway, I went to the Court house in Brookville, sign in as guilty in their big book, no computers there, and was not given any points or fines. I guess the first one is free. After retiring from Law Enforcement (32 years) I have always wondered if Trooper Shoemacher ever slowed down, or is he still a hot dog.

Well, it sounds like maybe you got a verbal warning for whatever reason you were stoppped for....had to be more than just the child seat.....as if thats not enough......I have been out of the area for a long time but ISP alwasy USED to give proffesional courtesy.....as long as you acted right anyway.....Sorry, but it doesnt make him a hot dog because he did his job. In the region, Rick Bonesteel talked ot me about proffesional courtesy when we met for coffee shortly after I got hired at a PD.....We looked up to ISP ! ! I still do.

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Session Indiana LE Academy
    Several years ago, on the 4th of July, I met a trooper by the last name of Shoemacher. I believed he worked out of Connersville Post. Anyway, I was on vacation and he pulled me over ????? gave me a ticket for not having a baby seat for one of my nieces who was riding in my van. Anyway, I never pulled the badge or said anything,(I know he saw my FOP decal and Florida plates). He was such a hot dog I thought he was going to shoot me or something. I figured he was trying to fight crime and catch all the bad guys in his first year. Anyway, I went to the Court house in Brookville, sign in as guilty in their big book, no computers there, and was not given any points or fines. I guess the first one is free. After retiring from Law Enforcement (32 years) I have always wondered if Trooper Shoemacher ever slowed down, or is he still a hot dog.
    Just a guess, but the Florida plates might have had something to do with it. Some FHP troopers do not give Leos professional courtesy and will issue a citation for the full amount. Basically, treating you worse than the avg violator. Illinois leos have told me the same thing from past experiences in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by indleo
    Just a guess, but the Florida plates might have had something to do with it. Some FHP troopers do not give Leos professional courtesy and will issue a citation for the full amount. Basically, treating you worse than the avg violator. Illinois leos have told me the same thing from past experiences in Florida.
    True point. Florida trooper wrote me for a minor infraction, which cost the family over $230. Threw us way over budget and cancelled out 2nd vacation trip at the end of the summer to holiday world. Needless to say, the kids are not FHP supporters. I don't care about the courtesy issue, but my record was "perfect". No violations, no accidents, duty or off. And you are right, he wrote it for the "full" penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by McGruff
    Quote Originally Posted by indleo
    True point. Florida trooper wrote me for a minor infraction, which cost the family over $230. Threw us way over budget and cancelled out 2nd vacation trip at the end of the summer to holiday world. Needless to say, the kids are not FHP supporters. I don't care about the courtesy issue, but my record was "perfect". No violations, no accidents, duty or off. And you are right, he wrote it for the "full" penalty.
    I have no personal experience in this area, but a friend of mine (IPD) was stopped by FHP. After getting the ticket, the trooper stated "don't worry, I won't be traveling to Indiana" and quickly walked away. He said the same thing, ticket was for full amount, regardless of the stops nature or driver history. The funny thing is when he looked at the trooper, it was as if the trooper was angry on a personal level.

I can relate. On the way back from Iraq, I arrived at Eglin AFB in May. My family decided to surprise me and meet me in Florida for a welcome home party since some of our family lives in Crestview. I wasn't due back to work for another week and with money tight, my wife made the decision to meet me and enjoy the area for a little R&R. . My gift from an FHP trooper was a ticket for 15 over the limit. Full amount!! We had to delay payment on a few bills to cover it, and I signed up for ISP project work. He was like a robot, looking for military or police officers, in my case he got both. My driving record was perfect until now, and I'm sure our insurance will go up. OK, off my chest...

If you look at the state police/highway patrol forums here, you will find that MOST of them have comments similar to yours here, but they are indicative of the respective state they are in (i.e. Virginia State Police, North & South Carolina Highway Patrols, Georgia State Patrol, etc.). I don't think it's just Florida Troopers, I think it's mostly troopers from southern states in general. I agree with one poster: Serve your badge, your community, and your family off duty as well as on duty and don't put other law enforcement officers in the position of dealing with this stuff in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by I Wear The Hat
    If you look at the state police/highway patrol forums here, you will find that MOST of them have comments similar to yours here, but they are indicative of the respective state they are in (i.e. Virginia State Police, North & South Carolina Highway Patrols, Georgia State Patrol, etc.). I don't think it's just Florida Troopers, I think it's mostly troopers from southern states in general. I agree with one poster: Serve your badge, your community, and your family off duty as well as on duty and don't put other law enforcement officers in the position of dealing with this stuff in the first place.
    I agree with your post and would have little problem busting a corrupt PO or another trooper for that matter if they even thought of tarnishing the badge. I think most of these guys are talking about infraction tickets; 10-20 over. I apply the same to them as others to keep it fair. The interaction during the stop. Did they pull over right away? Were they courteous? Etc etc. Then I look at the record and look at the history. At that point, I decide whether its a citation or a warning. If it's a citation, the next step is "full amount penalty" or "partial penalty" via speed over.. Based on what has been stated over the years about FHP, I don't think it's the entire dept, but maybe just a few hot heads out for military or police officers. Some guys have grudges for whatever reason. I know ISP doesn't tolerate that type of attitude, but some depts do.

Quote Originally Posted by LEO411
    Quote Originally Posted by I Wear The Hat
    I agree with your post and would have little problem busting a corrupt PO or another trooper for that matter if they even thought of tarnishing the badge. I think most of these guys are talking about infraction tickets; 10-20 over. I apply the same to them as others to keep it fair. The interaction during the stop. Did they pull over right away? Were they courteous? Etc etc. Then I look at the record and look at the history. At that point, I decide whether its a citation or a warning. If it's a citation, the next step is "full amount penalty" or "partial penalty" via speed over.. Based on what has been stated over the years about FHP, I don't think it's the entire dept, but maybe just a few hot heads out for military or police officers. Some guys have grudges for whatever reason. I know ISP doesn't tolerate that type of attitude, but some depts do.
    What is boils down to is this... Just like the military, everyone is not cutout for police work. You need to keep a cool head, use logic, plan every action and practice, practice, practice. Personally, I write few citations, too busy responding to calls and doing reports, bookings, etc... Sometimes I would rather be writing citations.. What I want to know is who is the FHP trooper gonna get when he dials 911? Another FHP trooper? I doubt it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast